News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Spammers and spamming...

Started by Opentoe, December 25, 2014, 11:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opentoe

In the last 3-4 months my little forum has received maybe 100 accounts that are just spamming the boards with mostly medication advertisements and crap like that. Soon as I delete their accounts they sign right back up and start posting again. These can't be bots doing this, right? So temporarily I set the forum to admin approval for new registrations right now. I don't like to bog down a forum with mods and make a lot of changes because it becomes tedious to update. I'm only using the built-in verification, which it set to medium. I'm guessing these people who post this spam get paid somehow on how many posts/accounts they make so it will probably never stop. Besides being extra vigilant, is there anything anyone can recommend to help with the spam problem? I've always loved SMF, but was told to try "another" one that has more features and better handling spam and bots. I really want to stick with SMF though. I like it a lot and the forum has been on it since it started in early 2012.

There are even some forums like discourse that are more or less written with more of the future in mind, but there is always a charge and subscription charges for that.

Merry Christmas, its almost over.

Kindred

They are spambots.

See the FAQ article on what to do....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dekoffieboer

Quote from: dekoffieboer on December 25, 2014, 12:07:29 AM
Under "Configuration -> Security and Moderation -> Anti-Spam"
Scroll down to "Configure Verification Methods" and set the option "Number of verification questions user must answer" to 1 or more.

Then scroll further down to "Verification Questions" and for the first question think of something nice with a hard answer only a human would normally know.
An example, i use something simular on my forum, is the question "How much is Ten + 10 plus 10?" with the answer "30". This fools away most registration bots i have noticed.

Good luck!

beanflying

Also while a minor drag on your mod staff but setup a starter post count group with whatever limit you think (1 normally sorts out the dodgy human bots) and moderate their posts.

Good post approved gets them to the next group (non post moderated) and terminate the rotten spammers with extreme prejudice
Owner of many many shiny toys.

Sagar_king

I faced same type of issue I apply approve post topic system for first 2 post so now spamming is history
http://mobiletek.in Smf 2.1
<hr>
Really Thankful to SMF community members for helping
All people are on this forum have their own website that's cool :D

a10

A few good verification questions. No spambot registrations whatsoever succeeding here for years, millions of attempts.

The system in use here, see http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525929.msg3727607#msg3727607
Bots killed immediately, zero problems for real people.

Enter the last three numbers seen in dg7564gh
Write the 2 first letters seen in 56kdgt
Write the numbers seen in no2645spam
Write the uppercase letters seen in dfsGHFuyt

Implemented in seconds, endless variations possible. Good luck.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Night09

It appears after some testing that questions should be of reasonable difficulty to stop bots answering. Its likely because of the questions theres a database of answers being built that can eventually circumnavigate the questions set.

I purposely set to admin approval and let it run for a while to check volume and can hit 100+ a day answering two questions. I have just changed the questions for more challenging answers which should stop this now. Point is set questions but not ones that a small child could answer IE: what color is the sky?

Sir Osis of Liver

Verification questions work best if they are related to forum content (something a member would know but others would not), and if you have a dozen or so questions and require 2-3 to be answered.  SMF will randomly select the required questions, so they'll not always be the same.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Quote from: a10 on December 26, 2014, 08:01:24 AM
A few good verification questions. No spambot registrations whatsoever succeeding here for years, millions of attempts.

The system in use here, see http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525929.msg3727607#msg3727607

I like those a lot very creative and seems strong.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Night09

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 26, 2014, 12:55:11 PM

They are a good way to do this as its so random in answers rather than generic questions.

Opentoe

Quote from: Sagar_king on December 26, 2014, 05:21:37 AM
I faced same type of issue I apply approve post topic system for first 2 post so now spamming is history

I think I will try this method. Cause most of the spammers only post once anyway....maybe even put a time limit on 'when' they can post after being a member. OR, setup a board where everyone can post but name the board "SPAM" so no one looks there anyway. Kind of using the spam for themselves or something like that.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

busterone

Leaving a board open and naming it "Spam" is not a good idea. I run several anti-spam honeypots and can assure you that if you leave a board available to them, they will report it on their spammer networks, and before long, you will have them coming in 10 fold. Even if the board is not indexed by search engines (which is what they are after), they will eat up your bandwidth eventually.  The botware that they use has the ability to report back to the botmasters what sites they were able to successfully register and post on. That info travels extremely fast to the rest of the scumbags out there.

Several well implemented questions and answers (rotating and changing them often) and Arantor's mod- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3685
is a great start. Captcha is useless. The bots broke it years ago. I have it turned off.  An additional mod such as Stop Spammer works well also.

Bruce the Shark

I am using the same example as mentioned above.
And its all been good for me. :)

stmaxx

Thanks for sharing!

That is real nice, I think I'll give it go!

regards,
Maxx

Nodaz

Quote from: beanflying on December 26, 2014, 03:59:17 AM
Also while a minor drag on your mod staff but setup a starter post count group with whatever limit you think (1 normally sorts out the dodgy human bots) and moderate their posts.

Good post approved gets them to the next group (non post moderated) and terminate the rotten spammers with extreme prejudice
Where is this set-up?
I can only find:
Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post
(0 for no limit, moderators are exempt)

Kindred

use the post-count based membergroups and set the first group from 0 to 10 posts... and require posts from those users to be validated
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 26, 2014, 12:55:11 PM

Those are good. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. Nice idea.

Jade Elizabeth

Gri directed me here and asked me to point out that the question: Columbus sailed the ocean blue when? 'year': should be 1492 and it doesn't work. I am assuming you have something to do with newznabforums? If not and someone else knows how to message them it would be nice if they knew their rego was broken :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Bruce the Shark

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on December 29, 2014, 02:01:15 AM
: Columbus sailed the ocean blue when? 'year': should be 1492 and it doesn't work

wat?

yes this threw me off as well

beanflying

Quote from: Kindred on December 28, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
use the post-count based membergroups and set the first group from 0 to 10 posts... and require posts from those users to be validated

Validated or Moderated?

I don't bother with post validation if it is a bot and they got past validation once it will do it again I guess?

I have set up a moderated first x posts group. Currently set at first post only weeds them out.
Owner of many many shiny toys.

Advertisement: