News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF - Drupal Bridge Alpha Version!

Started by BoogieBug, February 15, 2006, 11:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieBug

All,

I'd like to present you my first SMF-Drupal bridge. The code can be downloaded from SourceForge at hxxp:sourceforge.net/projects/embient [nonactive] . Since this is the alpha version, there is not much user documentation available. Anyway, there're some development documentation, generated by Doxygen here: hxxp:embient.sourceforge.net [nonactive].

I'm setting up the demo and issue tracker site for this project. Unfortunately, I'm being rushed with a lot of job at the few weeks. Therefore, I'd like to use this topic as the issue tracker for a while, until my own project site is ready.

Requirements:
-------------
* Drupal 4.7.0 Beta4
* SMF 1.1 RC2
* DOMIT! the DOM XML Parser (hxxp:sourceforge.net/projects/domit-xmlparser [nonactive])

Installation:
-----------
* Extract the file into a separated subdirectory (from your document root is an excellent choice).
* Extract the DOMIT into the "domit" directory under the directory you just created.
* Use the browser to call "http:<yoursite>/<directory>/install.php"

BoogieBug

[changelog]
16 Feb:
- Update requirement list
- add installation instruction

monkie

Wow - this is exciting - I'm downloading as I type  :D

H

Nice, I am considering adding drupal to my site too!

Have you posted this at drupal so it (and SMF :P) gets more coverage?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

geilhufe

Get me all excited and I can't get install.php to run   ;)

I'm a php noob, but I see two includes, one of which is xml_domit_include.php
Do I need a specific version/ compilation of php?

BoogieBug

Opppss. Sorry, you also need DOMIT. It's the XML library in PHP.

Download it from hxxp:sourceforge.net/projects/domit-xmlparser [nonactive] and extract
it into the "domit" sub directory.

I've to update the "requirement list"  :P

BoogieBug

I've found some bug in the installation script. The following is the work-around to fix it:

* File modules/embient.module - fix the path name to an absolute path to your embient installation (e.g., /home/public_html/embient)[/li][/list]
* SMF's Settings.php - fix the path name in the line of:
$integration = array( 'integrate_pre_include' => '<path>smf.php',
Let the path point to your embient installation.[/li][/list]

Another concern is the age of cookie and TimeZone in SMF setting. Misconfiguration of these 2 parameters may cause the cookie expire immediately and the login on SMF will not work.

Also, you may found that the module generate a lot of debug message, to disable the debug message, you can comment out all the lines with function "embient_debug()" in file embient.plugin.php.

I'll fix the installation script in the next version.

TestMonkey

Just a notes I realise this is in alpha stage so just listing a few problems..

Make sure it only installs one time or do some other word/line checks to prevent the installer from writing to settings.php multiple times not a big deal..

Example fix:

//-- Around line 50 uptop
//-- Find
// embient's root
$embient_dir = dirname(__FILE__);

//-- After Add
$lockfile = './install.lock.php';

if (file_exists($lockfile)) {
   echo "Already Installed, remove install.lock.php to install this script.";
   exit(1);
} else {
   echo "<strong>Attempting to install embient changes</strong><br /><br />";
   embient_lock($lockfile);
}

//-- Find
function embient_create($filename, $content)
{
  $file = fopen("$filename", "w");
  fwrite($file, "<?php\n");
  fwrite(
$file, "$content\n");
  fwrite(
$file, "?>
");
  fclose($file);
}

//-- After add
function embient_lock($filename)
{
  $file = fopen("$filename", "x");
  fwrite($file, "<?php\n");
  fwrite(
$file, "Installer is lockedremoveinstall.lock.php to enable installing again.\n");
  fwrite(
$file, "?>
");
  fclose($file);
}

Btw, im very interested in seeing this get to beta/release stages im still looking thru your code and it looks promising.

I'd be willing to help some if you need pm me or @mail me if you'd like help finding bugs or fixing bugs so you can focus more on the core code.

Alot of paths and settings that are derived from the paths break, because they seem to be geared toward windows .. creating some nightmares on *nix/linux.

But more or less looking thru your code I like what your trying to do.

Knowledge is power
www.serverhash.com

johnblade

Excellent work - I'd also love to participate in assisting with bug testing/patches to try and get this off the ground.

Thanks BoogieBug for starting this much needed bridge!

BoogieBug

Thanks, TestMonkey. I'll include your code into the beta version. Since the project is now hosted by hxxp:sf.net [nonactive], if you want to join the team, please feel free to PM me your hxxp:sf.net [nonactive] ID. I will make an invitation from the project admin page.

All, thanks for your help. I'm trying my best to setup the issue tracker site. Unfortunately, my main job need all of my effort until end of the month. Meanwhile, please post the bugs or issues, you found here.

Zenko

ok I am trying to run the alpha version but the instructions are very complicated the way to know how to create a embient.module is by readin the drupal file istself on embient unzip folder.

Anyway I am having trouble installing it this is what i get after placing the embient module which contains:
<?php
require_once("embient/drupal.php");
?>

here is the error:
warning: init(C:\projects\htdocs\smf/Settings.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/artverve/public_html/embient/smf.plugin.php on line 133.

Fatal error: init(): Failed opening required 'C:\projects\htdocs\smf/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/artverve/public_html/embient/smf.plugin.php on line 133

Any idea why I am getting this? here is the url where my smf is installed:
hxxp:www.artverve.com/Community/index.php [nonactive]

thanks

-danny

BoogieBug

There's a bug in the installation script. You might need to edit the smf.plugin.php manually by replace the "C:\Project\htdocs\smf" with the actual directory you place the smf installation (The folder with "Settings.php" inside)

TruthElixirX

I thought I had everything running fine until I got to the install. :P.

Found drupal in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture. Installing Embient for drupal

Warning: fopen(/home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/modules/embient.module): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 216

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 217

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 218

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 219

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 220
Found smf in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/forums. Installing Embient for smf
Done!

So what did I forget to do? =/ Any help is appreciated.

jefft

Quote from: TruthElixirX on March 18, 2006, 02:50:28 AM
I thought I had everything running fine until I got to the install. :P.

Found drupal in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture. Installing Embient for drupal

Warning: fopen(/home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/modules/embient.module): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 216

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/chris/public_html/audiosubculture/embient/install.php on line 217

So what did I forget to do? =/ Any help is appreciated.
I think that is caused by the install script needing to write the "embient.module" file into the drupal modules directory.  If so, permissions on the drupal modules directory needs to be set to allow this.  Or maybe you can just put the embient.module file into the directory manually.  The contents of the file are:

<?php
require_once("/home/sunset/public_html/embient/drupal.php");
?>

Now for my own questions:  Initially after doing the above, when I open SMF I got errors displayed on the SMF page, and the following in the embient.error.log file.

15-Mar-2006 21:31:13 - (/home/sunset/public_html/embient/embient.db.php@113)
15-Mar-2006 21:31:13 - (/home/sunset/public_html/embient/embient.util.php@92) cannot initialise drupal

It seemed that SMF did not know how to connect with drupal.  After searching, I found the config.xml file.  It contains (or apparently should contain) the database information for drupal.  My config.xml file had default values which were not correct for my install of drupal.  So I specified the correct values in the config.xml file.

After doing that, instead of the errors about SMF not being able to connect with drupal, when I try to open smf I get a page with only the following error message (nothing else is displayed):

: Table '<<my Drupal Table>>.crf_sessions' doesn't exist
/home/sunset/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php

So it looks like setting up the drupal database info in config.xml caused SMF to try and find an SMF table (crf_sessions) in that database.  Which, of course, is not there since it contains drupal tables, not SMF tables.

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  It would be helpful if I had some idea about how the embient SMF <-> drupal integration is supposed to work.  For example, when someone registers on one system (drupal or smf) is the info automatically inserted into the other systems user tables?  If not, do both systems first check their own tables for the account info, and if not found there then check the other systems tables?  Or is one systems tables (for example drupal) used as the user table for both systems.  I'm not asking for extensive documentation, but at least something (a paragraph or two) would be helpful.  Also, instructions for doing a manual installation would be helpful.  Perhaps the problems I'm having were caused by the install script failing because of not being able to write embient.module into the drupal directory.  Instructions for doing a manual installlation would enable me (and other) to figure out what's missing.

I think this could be a great system if I could just get it working.

jefft

In case it helps anyone, here is a description of a problem I had using embient and the solution I found.

The problem:  I installed SMF and Drupal in separate databases, but used the same database username and password to connect to them.  This caused both systems to fail after calling embient because the connection to the database was automatically set to the other database.  Because, (quoting a comment in hxxp:php.net [nonactive]):
As has been already commented, opening multiple connection handles with:
<?php
$connection_handle =  mysql_connect($hostname_and_port,$user,$password);
?>
causes the connection ID/handle to be REUSED if the exact same parameters are passed in to it.

For example, if logging in to drupal, embient would be called to access the SMF database.  This changed the connection to the SMF database, and upon return from the embient code, drupal would fail because it would be trying to access the drupal tables in the SMF database.

The Solution:  Use different database users for the two systems.  (i.e. have the SMS database user be different than the Drupal database user).  This prevents the connection ID/handle from being reused.

taherk

Hi

This is great piece of work and certainly the most awaited. Drupal is my favorite CMS and SMF is great forum , this integration will give others run for money.

I have installed this & resolved all issues. Since this is alpha version, is anything working now. Meaning... can I start using it on my test site.

What is the next step after installation, I did enable embient module on Drupal.

thetron

I think it's working. What can i do with this "bridge"

I tried creating a account on drupal and couldn't login on the forums

I'm in the same boat as taherk

jefft

When you register on one system (Drupal or SMF) an account will automatically be created in both.  After that, the two systems are integrated.  Signing into one, automatically signs into both.  Changing account info on one changes it on both.  Logging out of one, logs out of both.

If there is an already existing account on Drupal, but not SMF, embient will fail upon the Drupal login because it expects the SMF account to already exist.  I modified my local copy of embient to automatically create the appropriate SMF account when this happens.  If anyone wants details, send me an email.

thetron

Well it doesn't seem to be working for me

My root is : /home/myaccount/public_html
My Drupal is : /home/myaccount/public_html/drupal
My SMF is : /home/myaccount/public_html/smf
My Embients is: /home/myaccount/public_html/embient

Have i missed something?

thetron

I did something different. I've got a watchdog errors when logging into the drupal site

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.cache&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT data, created, headers, expire FROM cache WHERE cid = &#039;menu:0:en&#039; in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.role&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT DISTINCT(p.perm) FROM role r INNER JOIN permission p ON p.rid = r.rid WHERE r.rid IN (1) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.system&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT * FROM system WHERE type = &#039;theme&#039; in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.system&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT * FROM system WHERE type = &#039;theme&#039; in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.menu&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT * FROM menu ORDER BY mid ASC in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.cache&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: LOCK TABLES cache WRITE in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.cache&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: UPDATE cache SET data = &#039;a:4:{s:10:\\&quot;path index\\&quot;;a:99:{s:13:\\&quot;admin/filters\\&quot;;i:-1;s:18:\\&quot;admin/filters/list\\&quot;;i:-2;s:17:\\&quot;admin/filters/add\\&quot;;i:-3;s:20:\\&quot;admin/filters/delete\\&quot;;i:-4;s:11:\\&quot;filter/tips\\&quot;;i:-5;s:10:\\&quot;admin/node\\&quot;;i:-6;s:19:\\&quot;admin/node/overview\\&quot;;i:-7;s:19:\\&quot;admin/settings/node\\&quot;;i:-8;s:28:\\&quot;admin/settings/content-types\\&quot;;i:-9;s:4:\\&quot;node\\&quot;;i:-10;s:8:\\&quot;node/add\\&quot;;i:-11;s:7:\\&quot;rss.xml\\&quot;;i:-12;s:12:\\&quot;system/files\\&quot;;i:-13;s:11:\\&q in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc:120) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/common.inc on line 139.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, &#039;access denied&#039;, &#039;&lt;em&gt;node&lt;/em&gt; denied access.&#039;, 1, &#039;&lt;a href=\\&quot;/drupal/?q=node\\&quot; class=\\&quot;active\\&quot;&gt;view&lt;/a&gt;&#039;, &#039;/drupal/&#039;, &#039;&#039;, &#039;220.253.89.138&#039;, 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.blocks&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = &#039;bluemarine&#039; AND status = 1 ORDER BY region, weight, module in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Access denied

* warning: main(/home/thetr0n/public_html/embient\drupal.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/modules/embient.module on line 2.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.cache' doesn't exist query: SELECT data, created, headers, expire FROM cache WHERE cid = 'menu:0:en' in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.role' doesn't exist query: SELECT DISTINCT(p.perm) FROM role r INNER JOIN permission p ON p.rid = r.rid WHERE r.rid IN (1) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.system' doesn't exist query: SELECT * FROM system WHERE type = 'theme' in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.system' doesn't exist query: SELECT * FROM system WHERE type = 'theme' in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.menu' doesn't exist query: SELECT * FROM menu ORDER BY mid ASC in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.cache' doesn't exist query: LOCK TABLES cache WRITE in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.cache' doesn't exist query: UPDATE cache SET data = 'a:4:{s:10:\"path index\";a:99:{s:13:\"admin/filters\";i:-1;s:18:\"admin/filters/list\";i:-2;s:17:\"admin/filters/add\";i:-3;s:20:\"admin/filters/delete\";i:-4;s:11:\"filter/tips\";i:-5;s:10:\"admin/node\";i:-6;s:19:\"admin/node/overview\";i:-7;s:19:\"admin/settings/node\";i:-8;s:28:\"admin/settings/content-types\";i:-9;s:4:\"node\";i:-10;s:8:\"node/add\";i:-11;s:7:\"rss.xml\";i:-12;s:12:\"system/files\";i:-13;s:11:\"system/test\";i:-14;s:5:\"admin\";i:-15;s:12:\"admin/themes\";i:-16;s:19:\"admin/themes/select\";i:-17;s:21:\"admin/themes/settings\";i:-18;s:28:\"admin/themes/settings/global\";i:-19;s:14:\"admin/settings\";i:-20;s:13:\"admin/modules\";i:-21;s:4:\"user\";i:-22;s:17:\"u in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc:120) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/common.inc on line 139.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'access denied', '<em>node</em> denied access.', 1, '<a href=\"/drupal/?q=node\" class=\"active\">view</a>', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.
    * user warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.blocks' doesn't exist query: SELECT * FROM blocks WHERE theme = 'bluemarine' AND status = 1 ORDER BY region, weight, module in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.

You are not authorized to access this page.

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.sessions&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: SELECT sid FROM sessions WHERE sid = &#039;e8f3463a5838fd1cec6ebb2843185e20&#039; in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Warning: Table 'thetr0n_lanforums.watchdog' doesn't exist query: INSERT INTO watchdog (uid, type, message, severity, link, location, referer, hostname, timestamp) VALUES (0, 'php', 'Table &#039;thetr0n_lanforums.sessions&#039; doesn&#039;t exist\nquery: INSERT INTO sessions (sid, uid, cache, hostname, session, timestamp) VALUES (&#039;e8f3463a5838fd1cec6ebb2843185e20&#039;, 0, 0, &#039;220.253.89.138&#039;, &#039;&#039;, 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120.', 2, '', '/drupal/', '', '220.253.89.138', 1143352566) in /home/thetr0n/public_html/drupal/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 120

Wikkit

Embient is installed and working (more or less), and when registering via drupal an account is indeed created in smf and the combined login works. However registering via smf works in so far as creating one smf account, but it doesn't create an account in drupal at the same time and hence logging on to Drupal from SMF doesn't work. Is it supposed to? And if creating an account from Drupal I'm unable to change that account's password from SMF. SMF simply tells me the password is incorrect.

Also, when I log into Drupal I stay logged in but SMF logs me out after a while? '

What should I look into to correct the problems described? Cookie settings? Something else?

If the register/login process is a one-way process, I'd like to know how/where to change the login/register links in SMF so that they point to the Drupal register/login page.

:) Thanks in advance and all that.

Advertisement: