News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF Shoutbox

Started by Deep, March 15, 2006, 08:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_4_kelly

thanks ^_^

how about the time then?
anyone know where to modify the time shown in the shout box?

thanks

K_4_kelly

anyone know how to change to local time please???

WarBirD

Hmm

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/120/shoutboxproblem25kx.jpg

In this theme the Shoutbox seems not to work, my guess is the template is smaller than the SHoutbox and then all got compressed together somehow.

How to change the width of the Shoutbox template ?

The Theme is: JUNO

Need help please.

K_4_kelly

after u installed
u can modify the size in the admin panel
you should see a 'smf shoutbox' in menu bar of the admin panel.

WarBirD

Yes, i can change the height there, but I don´t see the width there. And thats what messing up the box with this theme. :(

WarBirD

LOL, i found the problem, in this case it has nothing to do with the Shoutbox itself. The guy who did the JUNO Design did make in addition to his theme, a GERMAN Button Set but of course not the Buttons from the Top Menu, like HOME / ADMIN / CALENDAR etc. in German.

So, when you switch to German Language in the forum with this theme, because of the missing buttons on the top Menu, the orange colored bar where the buttons should be in, is emtpy and its getting shorter  because of the missing buttons for the German Language Version.

And then the Shoutbox is ******ed. When someone makes a Theme and makes German Buttons, thne he should make them all. :(

cooky

any fix for the time yet???????????

cooky

tsivilis

Hello all.
I have the SMF forum ver. 1.0.7 and when i try  to install the smf shoutbox tell me that
"Sorry, but the SMF Shoutbox Mod doesn't support your SMF version!"

Can i do somethink else for this problem

thank you

cooky

yes upgrade to the latest smf version then install it although there seems absolutley no support for this mod so your on your own if you need help!

Col

This mod failed for me too (read a few posts back). I note that many others have had problems. It's a shame that the author seems to have decided not to maintain this mod, but then again, there is no reason why he should.

For those who want an upshrinking shoutbox, I modified Grudge's Ultimate Shoutbox, for SMF 1.1, the default theme. There is no reason why it won't work in earlier versions too, with some tiny tweaks. I've rearranged the forum header, so that only the shoutbox occupies the upshrinker part. I have not created a smiley block though. I imagine it would be pretty easy for a coder to add a smiley block; a bit more difficult for a hacker, like myself.

Note, this is a hack, and not a full mod. You will need to install Grudge's Shoutbox, and apply the changes I outline. If you are using the default theme, this is pretty straight forward. I hope this is useful to some of you.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=8415.msg572452#msg572452

Deep

Dear friends,

the shoutbox is maintained - BUT: it is just one of a lot of things i have to do. I have very very very little time to support the shoutbox.

There is a new beta version 1.05 of the shoutbox. I tried to upload this version onto the mod download area, but i did get error messages there (something like "package id error" - but i did not change the package id, i changed the version only).

Until this problem ist fixed you can download the 1.05beta here and the additional german language pack here.

The follwing things have changed:
1. Code added to prevent html/script injection
2. Minor language bug fixed
3. Database installation now is done without an external script
4. Shoutings are now displayed with user local time
5. Refresh time is validated
6. BB-Code now is parsed

It is still a beta version, because i had no time to test the modified installation procedure on several systems. So it is strongly recommended not to install this version in an production environment - please use a fresh installed forum to test the installation.
It would be a very great help to me if you can report if the installation fails or not. Thanks in advance for doing so!

Quote from: nitr0glic3rin4
example ... an attacker can inject javascript code like this...
<script>alert("BuG");</script> ...

You are right. This is a serious problem.
This security hole is closed in above described 1.05beta.

If you use a previous version you can fix it by modifying sboxDB.php.
Please search for:

// handle spacial characters
$content=addslashes($content);

and replace it with:

// handle special characters
// enquote html and script code to avoid html/javascript injection
$content = htmlentities($content, ENT_QUOTES);

@yellow1912:
In 1.05beta BB-Code ist parsed.

If you use a previous version you can add the feature by modifying sboxDB.php.
Please search for:

// handle spacial characters

and replace it with:

// Enable BB-Code
$content = doUBBC($content);

It is recommended that you also also add the htmlentities command, so the final code should be:

// enquote html and script code to avoid html/javascript injection
$content = htmlentities($content, ENT_QUOTES);
// Enable BB-Code
$content = doUBBC($content);

Quote from: halliday06
i carnt get the shout box to show on my theme any one help me out please
Sorry, but it is impossible to me to create installations for any existing theme. Please go to the mod download page and look at the example which describes how to integrate the shoutbox into the "Classic YaBB SE Theme".

Quote from: Col
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare sbox() (previously declared in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs.php:3330) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/community/Sources/Subs.php on line 3337
The reported error messages indicates that you have installed the shoutbox twice.

Quote from: Col
This is still a beta (at best), and should not be a 1.x.
I have tested the shoutbox within three completely different scenarios:
1. Webspace on a free hoster;
2. a virtual server, running Suse 9.3;
3. a local windows computer, running Apache/PHP

In all those scenarios, i experienced no problems oder errors at all.
What else can i do?

Quote from: squirrelof09
Think you can make this avalaible on all areas of the SMf? or at least have a check box for that?
The shoutbox is available at any place you want. Select the place you want the shoutbox to appear and modify the appropriate theme file.
You have to insert the following two lines:

// display shoutbox
if (function_exists('sbox')) sbox();

Think you can move the smf Shoutbox to the bottom of the index?
It is the same problem as described above. Please edit BoardIndex.template.php and move the above described code from the place it actually is to the place you want it to be.

Think you can add a permission to allow/prevent users' from using the SMF shout?
Sorry, but i don´t have the time to do so. Why do you want some users to be able to shout and others not?

Think you can make the submitable text longer? or have a text field to specify how much you can insert per shout?
This might be a good idea. I will think about it.

Think you can make links submitted in the SMF shout box click-able?
Yes. Links are clickable in 1.05beta. If you use a previous version you can add this feature by adding the doUBBC command as described above.

Quote from: briano
how do you go about emptying the shout box database?
There is no way to clear the shoutbox completely at the moment. But it is a good idea for a next version. Thank you.
But of course you can empty the shoutbox by deleting it´s database table contents.

Quote from: briano
But still not have shoutbox on main page 

any idee ?

i think it's because i'm using french langage & its does not edit good file...
Yes, I think it is because there is no french language pack. If you translate the english or german texts into french language, i will be able to add a french language pack.
Does the shoutbox appear if you use the forum in english language?

Quote from: ukwalker
anyone know how to change the time of the shoutbot?
i would like to change it to UK time,  the time now seems is US time,
I am sorry - i do not understand, what you mean. Can you define precisely, what "US time" and "UK time" is?

Quote from: ukwalker
anyone know how to change to local time please???
Is this the question above in other words?
In that case the problem is: Up to version 1.04 the displayed time is computed at the moment the shout text is written into database. At this moment, there is no information available about the local time of the users who will see the shouting.
In 1.05beta the displayed time is computed at the moment the shouting is delivered to the users, so the time is displayed using the time zone information of each user. This should fix your problem.

Deep

cooky

thanks thats cured the problem instantly just what we were looking for :D

Col

Hiya Dark,

I'm glad to see you have not abandoned your Shoutbox after all. :)

As for your shoutbox not working for me, I can assure that I installed only the once. - I am absolutely certain of this. I did note that the error message indicated that I had the shoutbox installed twice, and the only thing I could think of was that I previously had Grudge's shoutbox installed. I lost that when I upgraded to 1.1, but there are some remnants left, including the table in the DB. Do you have any file names or calls the same as Grudge's?

I installed a brand-spanking-new 1.1 SMF forum (well, an upgrade), and yours was the first mod I tried to install. I guess I could set up test forum for this, and try again.

Edit: typos.

Deep

Hi Col,

no, i use different file names, table names and procedure names. I developed my shoutbox out of Grudge´s shoutbox and i renamed everything, so there should be no conflict in the rare case both shoutboxes are installed.

For example, Grudge´s main procedure is "smfshout()" and my main procedure is "sbox()".

I am really confused about the error you experienced. The mod itself (the structure of it and the way it is installed) is exactly the same as Grudge´s shoutbox is. So i do not understand, why you can install Grudge´s mod and you can not install mine.

There could be the following reasons for your problem:
1. An error in the package manager, but I do not believe in this.
2. One or more files of the mod package can be corrupt.

If you try to install the mod in the test forum, please use a fresh downloaded mod.
Do you get the same error again?

Deep

littleone

Can you specify the coding to be placed and where it needs to be placed to get the local time.  I noticed you told us how to change everything else but that.  Thanks

x0joshua0x

Is there a way to make the username show as the persons display name instead of the account name.                 

Is seems that showing the persons login name gives unwanted viewers 50% of the information they need   
in order to hack a users account ?

i am being paranoid ;)

And is there a way to make it so visitors cannot even see the shoutbox unless logged in ?

littleone

Quote from: x0joshua0x on May 18, 2006, 09:12:29 PM
And is there a way to make it so visitors cannot even see the shoutbox unless logged in ?

Just change your forum settings to not allow guest to browse your forum.   This in effect means they have to log in to see anything at all.

kriskd

Quote from: littleone on May 18, 2006, 12:27:09 PM
Can you specify the coding to be placed and where it needs to be placed to get the local time.  I noticed you told us how to change everything else but that.  Thanks
Quote from: x0joshua0x on May 18, 2006, 09:12:29 PM
Is there a way to make the username show as the persons display name instead of the account name.                 

I would be interested in these two answers as well.  Thanks!
SMF 2.0.2

littleone

Id also like to see membergroup specific permissions so that I can grant my moderators the ability to delete shouts.  Currently I am the only one that can do it and with nearly 2300 members its hard to keep up with all the posts plus whats going on in the shout box 24/7 and in the event that i am gone an inappropriate shout might stay visible for an extended period of them.  I think right now (since all others issues are fixed) this would be the next biggest improvement to this mod.  If you do, make this change, could you also post the coding for this.  Thanks

Advertisement: