News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some old mods for those who want to play

Started by Grudge, April 17, 2004, 07:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Hey,

I'm posting these here for anyone who wants to use/take hold of/play with these mods. They are ones I used to have on my site but can no longer use as I just can't keep up with all the betas. I want to post them now as they probably still work on beta 4, but won't for much longer. Note that I am NOT supporting these in any way whatsoever. Do not ask me how they work. If you want to use them to learn/adapt them then go ahead but I offer no support whatsoever. Also - I wrote many of these when I started in PHP so don't assume they are coded well - you can see how I've progressed :P. The MOD's are all attached at the bottom. Below is a description of what they do, with SQL changes. Note that the problem is each MOD file is dependant on other MOD's so you have to install them in the correct order! I'm sure people will work out how they work, anyway:

1) Points MOD.
SQL change:

ALTER TABLE `smf_messages` ADD `points` INT(10) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `points` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;

This MOD file allows you to add a "point" system to your forum. The admin/moderators can set a point score for each thread, and this appears in the users profile. This could be expanded easily. The points per topic appear in the message idnex and thread display page too. I used to use it to encourage/discourage people posting in certain threads.

2) Words/letters per post.
Unforunatly this MOD requires the one above to install, but with a few changes you could install this MOD on it's own. This add's word/letter count to a users profile. Note that a setting in feature settings allows you to set the "average words/letters per post", this is so it can "predict" a users past count by looking at their post count. I'm not sure the SQL is correct for this so you may need to adjust it!

SQL change:

ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `averagewords` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '25' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `averageletters` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '120' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `wordcount` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `lettercount` INT( 12 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_settings` ADD `wordpostcount` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;

3) Medals
This was the MOD I was proudest of and I truely love it! It awards people medals based on meeting certain post counts/point count/average word count/average letter count etc etc. It's fantastic in my opinion! It shows medals in peoples profiles and in a medal award room. It automatically awards medals and the admin can award several medals manually. The name of the medals and the amounts are hard coded into the mod but could easily be changed. I'm not including the medal images as they are specific to my site but they are all of the format medalXY.gif, where X was the medal catorgory (post, point etc) and Y was the level (1=bronze, 2=silver, 3=gold), and they get put in a medals sub directory. This requires the two previous mods but could be updated to not require them. This is a brilliant MOD and makes a community really good fun!!

SQL:

ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `medals` TINYTEXT NOT NULL ;

4) City/flags mod
This is a port of someones mod for YaBBSE and adds a flag to the display view showing a members country, and allows people to select it from their profile. You'll need to download the flag images - search for the original MOD over at www.yabbse.org, I won't attach them here as they are not my images. I want to really point out this wasn't my mod originally, I don't pretend this was mine.

SQL:

ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `city` TINYTEXT NOT NULL ;

5) Better cell mouse
This is a port of Wiziwigs mod. It's just the mod file, but may be helpful for anyone who had this for YaBBSE.

6) No images in signatures
This was a port of SparkieGeeks mod (I believe). Don't know if it still works, but it allows your members to disable viewing of images in signatures.

SQL:

ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `no_images_sigs` TINYINT(4) DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL ;

7) Flamed topic
This is a really poor, hard coded way of adding more icons to the message index. People probably won't use it but I'll post it anyway!

That's it! I'm posting these here as I'd never add them to the mod site. If anyone updates any of these mod's please post in this thread as I'd love to hear if anyone took them over. Don't PM me/message me for support. If you don't know how to MOD don't use these, it's that simple!

Hope someone gets some use of these!

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

Austin61

ok i downloaded the point system mod and is like a winamp file or something simliar where do i put it ??? and how do i make it work and stuff thanks.

Grudge

You need to use boardmod available at www.boardmod.org. Read my original post - these are not supported by me any longer! Also - they will probably NOT work for beta 4.1 out-of-the-box. You'll need to go through and *tweak* them a bit. Hopefully if you get boardmod you'll manage to work it out. I am afraid I'm too busy to look after them anymore myself - hence why they are bunged into this thread.

Austin61

Grudge

Well - it was working on beta 3.1415 so it's not *that* bad. I just honestly do not have the time - especially as I'm on courses all week at the moment. If you're lucky someone may have a look at it for you but to be honest it shouldn't be hard to make it work if you have any php expierence.

dracomiconia2

Well, I'll download points and medals....

Lets's see them...

Grudge

Bear in mind they were for Beta 4 so you'd have to tweak them to get them to work on beta 5. Good way to learn though :)

dracomiconia2

Only a question:

Is there any place to get beta 4, to see better the changes...

Grudge

Don't think so! The changes won't be that great though - it should certainly be possible to figure out where the code was supposed to go.

ipggi

To answer Austin61's post, you can also use your favorite text editor to open these files (notepad, wordpad, pico, whatever...)  Winamp gets in the picture because of the MOD extension, which stands for "module".  It is a rather old audio format that sends a mixture of stereo or multichannel audio signals and instructions.  It's very similar to MIDI, but on a more complex level.

Anyway, winamp can be used to play MOD audio files, so naturally it tries to open it.  :)  But these are nothing more than text files with modification instructions that can be used by a changer program or read by a user and changed manually.

[darksteel]

3) Medals

Not work in smf RC1 ?

darksteel-

Luis "[darksteel]" Alvarado.
Spanish Support
¿Qué es el repair_settings?
No doy soporte por PM, publica tu duda en el foro y tendras respuestas mas rapidas.
My forum:
www.caamboard.com

Grudge

NO. As I said in my first post none of these will work past Beta -3.1415. They are here for people to use/update/learn from as they wish.

Vinoth

Vinoth And Sachin ( SpecHackers Team )
The Best  Way to Help Poor Is not Becoming One Of Them.

Grudge

As you know they are on my package server.

Oldiesmann

Here are the updated versions of the first three... Grudge, do you know where the images are for the medals mod?

UPDATE: Points mod now works with 1.1RC1. If you need either of the other two updated, let me know.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Grudge

Oldiesman,

Thanks for updating the mods. Attached is the images I used (Made by yossa, not me!) but they will need to be remade (If only to remove the PW!)

PS. If you ever want your own package server let me know and I'll happily give you an ftp account onto my www.mymods.co.uk server so you can make your own server

Oldiesmann

Thanks, but what would I use to open an ACE file? I can't install UltimateZip (not an admin), and WinZIP and WinRAR don't handle ACE files...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Grudge

Oldiesmann

I wish my dad would have stayed with UltimateZIP instead of paying for a WinZIP license. Now I have to install another piece of software that I probably won't use again... ::)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: