Removing thread without post counts going down

Started by Tristan Perry, April 20, 2004, 01:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristan Perry

Hi!
   I want to make it so that if I remove an entire thread (Not just a post) then no-body's post counts go down. As I really need to tidy up some of my boards but this will half some of my member's post counts. Is this possible, and if so, how?
   Thanks  :)

Oldiesmann

Surprisingly simple actually...

In RemoveTopic.php

Search for:
function removeMessage($message, $decreasePostCount = true)
{

Replace with:
function removeMessage($message, $decreasePostCount = false)
{

You can always change that back later if you need to.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Oldiesmann on April 20, 2004, 01:38:36 PM
Surprisingly simple actually...

In RemoveTopic.php

Search for:
function removeMessage($message, $decreasePostCount = true)
{

Replace with:
function removeMessage($message, $decreasePostCount = false)
{

You can always change that back later if you need to.

Thanks although that is for removing a certain persons post in a thread. I want to have it so that when I remove an entire thread no-ones post counts go down....

Oldiesmann

Ok, so you want the removeTopics function instead...

Find:
function removeTopics($topics, $decreasePostCount = true)
{

Replace:
function removeTopics($topics, $decreasePostCount = false)
{
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Oldiesmann on April 20, 2004, 01:53:45 PM
Ok, so you want the removeTopics function instead...

Find:
function removeTopics($topics, $decreasePostCount = true)
{

Replace:
function removeTopics($topics, $decreasePostCount = false)
{

THANKS YOU  :) It worked :)

Oldiesmann

No problem. It's amazing how simple these things can be...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

nave

another thing you could do is enable the thread recycling system and have a hidden board where all deleted topics go. it wouldnt reduce the post count (i dont believe), and it saves you the heartache of permanently deleting the wrong thing by accident.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: nave on April 20, 2004, 02:25:51 PM
another thing you could do is enable the thread recycling system and have a hidden board where all deleted topics go. it wouldnt reduce the post count (i dont believe), and it saves you the heartache of permanently deleting the wrong thing by accident.

That's a pretty good idea  :) Thanks Nave  :)

nave

your welcome. its a wonderful feature that has saved my behind several times already. and its nice that if a mod deletes a thread, it can go into a board only admins can see, and then judge whether or not it should have been deleted, and no other members can see it. its very handy.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: nave on April 21, 2004, 04:12:48 AM
your welcome. its a wonderful feature that has saved my behind several times already. and its nice that if a mod deletes a thread, it can go into a board only admins can see, and then judge whether or not it should have been deleted, and no other members can see it. its very handy.

Cool! This system really is great, I have it on my forum now! Thanks  :)

CrazyTech

It's also a good move for administration. Not only can the staff see and judge the removal, but you also have a record of any previous violations on your board. It's nice if you like to try and give second chances like I often do. It also lets you know the ones to keep an eye on for future problems just in case. That's not even mentioning the fact that if someone tries to challenge your decision, you have the original information right there in your hand.

bulliedog

I am using the recycling system but when I remove a topic (it goes to the recyling forum) members posts do go down.  Am I missing something here?

James

Using Beta 5

Jack.R.Abbit™

there is a setting to not count posts in certain boards.  perhaps your recycle bin is set to not count posts.

bulliedog

Quote from: Jack.R.Abbit on August 09, 2004, 04:19:02 PM
there is a setting to not count posts in certain boards.  perhaps your recycle bin is set to not count posts.

I thought that too at first but then checked the setting:

Count Posts
Makes new replies and topics raise members' post counts.

I have it checked  ??? Does that only count for new posts created within the recycling board?

[Unknown]

When a post is sent to the recycle bin, the user's post count is decreased.

-[Unknown]

Jack.R.Abbit™

maybe it should only do that if the recycle bin board is set to not count posts?

bulliedog

Quote from: Jack.R.Abbit on August 10, 2004, 09:13:34 AM
maybe it should only do that if the recycle bin board is set to not count posts?

I'd agree with this method.  That way you can still do maintenance on the forum and still keep users happy.

[Unknown]

I don't think you understand.  I'll try once again to explain:

Step 1. You delete a post, and it checks to see if it should use the recycle bin - it should.
Step 2. It checks if the current board counts posts, and if it does, it decreases the poster's post count.
Step 3. The message is moved to the recycle bin board.

This much you are understanding.  Now, let's get to the part you are missing:

Step 4. You delete the post from the recycle bin.
Step 5. It checks to see if this post was recycled, and if it was, does NOT reduce the post count.
Step 6. The post is deleted.

This is the only way to handle post counts AS EXPECTED when deleting posts, ESPECIALLY when you have moderators who do not know even of the existance of the recycle bin.  The post count is decremented oncem when it is initially "deleted" - even if only to the recycle bin.

-[Unknown]

bulliedog

I do understand that part - as that is exactly what is happening with my board.  A mod removes a topic - post count goes down.  The post is in the Recycle board and when I delete from there nothing happens to post count.  It makes sense but I've got a couple of members who post freqently in one of the boards on timely topics (sort of notifications, news items, that kind of thing).  After the times have passed these are no longer needed and so we remove the topic - this devestates the post count and you know how people can be about post counts  ;) 

It is not a huge concern but I wanted to make sure there was not a way for me to prevent the post counts from going down if simply moving a topic to the recycle board...I guess not.  I suppose I could manually move the topic into the recycle board rather than use the REMOVE TOPIC option....hmmm.

[Unknown]

So, you're saying you don't want the post count decreased... nothing to do with the recycle bin at all!

I'm just saying that there is no problem with the way the recycle bin interfaces with postcount decreasing...

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: