About Simple Machines
- Contact Us
- Core Values
- Open Source
- Why free is better
- Simple Machines Members
- Simple Machines Blogs
SIMPLE MACHINES’ TRADEMARK POLICY.
This policy is published under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.
The Simple Machines’ name and logo (among all other trademarks) embody our organization’s values and reputation, and are associated with our products and services. We carefully protect our trademarks and closely monitor their use. If you would like to use a Simple Machines’ trademark, you must conform to some guiding principles.
A complete list of the Simple Machines’ trademarks can be seen below. As other trademarks are created or registered, the list will be updated with or without notice.
The objective of the Simple Machines’ Trademark Policy is to inspire widespread use of the Simple Machines’ trademarks and products while controlling that use in order to avoid confusion on the part of SMF users and the general public, to uphold the value of the image and reputation of the trademarks and to protect against inappropriate use.
Simple Machines holds a number of trademarks and these include "SMF", "Simple Machines", "Elegant, Effective, Simple, Free. It’s that simple." and "The fulcrum". This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as "SMF trademarks".
Although many uses of the Simple Machines marks are governed by more specific conditions, which appear below, the following key guidelines apply to almost any use of the SMF trademarks:
- Proper trademark symbols are used in connection with the Simple Machines’ marks, and the trademark attribution statement must appear as explained in Trademark Usage Guidelines
- The trademark is not used in a way that discredits the Simple Machines' name or those of Simple Machines’ products or services, infringe upon intellectual property or other Simple Machines' rights, or violate the laws in force.
- The Simple Machines' trademark is not used in association with material or information that is immoral or remote from "common sense" or moral values promoted by Simple Machines.
- The use is not detrimental to Simple Machines, or to its brand integrity, repute or propriety, such as use in connection with products, services or other content that
- is vulgar, obscene or pornographic,
- comprise claim with reference to Simple Machines that are libelous, slanderous or defamatory,
- would be considered a criminal offense or
- would create any civil liability.
Those are only examples. Detrimental, harmful or damaging use is determined at the discretion of Simple Machines.
- The Simple Machines' trademark is used in a trustworthy manner and is associated with credible and verifiable information. The trademark is not used to imply relationships with Simple Machines or approvals or sponsorships with no legal bases.
- The official logo usage guidelines are strictly observed.
Non-Commercial and Community websites.
From time to time, community members have inquired whether it is possible to show support for Simple Machines by:
- Using Simple Machines’ trademarks on personal websites and blogs to support SMF
- Making a page on a social networking web service to support SMF
- Linking to Simple Machines to provide information or show support for SMF.
The guidelines relating to such usage are set forth in this section:
It is permissible to use the SMF mark on websites to show your support for the SMF project, provided that:
- Where possible, the trademark hyperlinks to the SMF Project website, https://www.simplemachines.org/ or if that is not possible, the site includes a prominent link to the SMF project website at http://www.simplemachines.org/
- The site indicates clearly that it is not affiliated with or endorsed by Simple Machines; in addition, where possible:
- The Site must include the text "This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Simple Machines" prominently on the page that includes the SMF marks.
- If the SMF trademark appears in a page header or any area that is designed to be presented on more than one page, the notice must also be designed to be presented on all of those pages as well.
From time to time, Community members have inquired whether it Is possible to show support for Simple Machines by:
- Displaying Simple Machines’ trademarks as part of a business that provides services for clients using SMF
- Displaying a link to the SMF project using Simple Machines’ trademarks from a business website.
The guidelines relating to such are set forth in this section:
It is permissible to use the Simple Machines’ trademarks on business websites, provided that:
- The website has non-SMF primary branding
- The SMF trademark hyperlinks to the Simple Machines website, https://www.simplemachines.org/
- The use does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by the SMF project.
- The use of the SMF trademark does not imply an association with or endorsement of any non-SMF products or services.
- The site does not have any visual styling that could be confusing to viewers or visitors as to whether the site is hosted by or on behalf of the SMF project.
Provided these guidelines are observed, it is permissible to use the Simple Machines’ trademarks to advertise services for SMF (Installation, Configuration, modification, troubleshooting, etc.)
It is permissible to use the Simple Machines’ trademarks in the title and content of a publication, provided that:
- The use is clearly in reference to the Simple Machines Project or its software.
- The use does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by the Simple Machines Project.
- Proper trademark symbols are used In connection with the Simple Machines and the trademark attribution statement must appear as explained in Proper Trademark use.
Trademark Usage Guidelines.
- When using the Simple Machines’ trademarks, you must provide the trademark symbol and a trademark attribution statement.
- Example: SimpleDesk supports SMF® 2.0 rc4.
- Always distinguish trademarks from surrounding text with at least initial capital letters or in all capital letters.
- Always use proper trademark form and spelling.
- Never translate a trademark into another language.
- Never use trademarks to coin new words or names.
- Never alter a trademark in any way including through unapproved fonts or visual identifiers.
Simple Machines' Trademarks.Advertisement:
- Help | Terms and Rules | Go Up ▲
- Copyright © 2022 Simple Machines. All Rights Reserved.
- Page served by: 10.0.100.134 (10.0.100.113)
- Page created in 0.121 seconds with 4 queries.