Attachments Download Permission

Started by JayBachatero, August 01, 2006, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBachatero

Conflict with another mod that you have installed.  You can make the change to it manually.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

shaka

can you tell me what i need to change  ???

buhaychat.com

Quote from: JayBachatero on December 31, 2006, 03:03:16 AM
Quote from: buhaychat.com on December 30, 2006, 10:00:44 PM
Uninstalled the mod, but now my permissions section in admin still no worky. :(
This seems to be a language string error.  Reuplaod your language dir.

I did... still doesn't work...

Hrmm, I guess I'll just download the clean language files from smf and reupload to my server...

*crossing fingers*

buhaychat.com

"It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board."

If you uncheck the Download box for this mod in Permissions (to disallow users from downlaoding images), does that also disallow them from viewing the attachments?

VicViper

Jay, can you please look into the problem I'm having with this mod. When guests click on an attachment download link, they're being redirected to a login page. When they go back to the thread without logging in, the next person to log in from the same computer is being prompted with a download window for that attachment! Oh and for some reason, your mod allows guests to download GIF image attachments despite them not having download permissions. :-(

I've tested this myself on various machines with different browsers and it's happening every time. All my users are reporting the same problem.

JayBachatero

Seems like I have to work on this mod a bit more.  I'll try to take some time to look into it.
Follow me on Twitter

VicViper

I'd very much appreciate this. Maybe you can even add an option to show attachments without links (or just a note saying that you have to login). That would be the perfect solution for me.

Oh and you might want to make your mod compatible with the latest release of SMF, although I think it will already work with it (still using RC3 here).

shaka

I have this mod installed i have set it to let members see the preview jpeg image but not be able to download the zip file the problem is the members that are set to able to view but not download can't view the image

JayBachatero

I'll have to look into the logic for this mod and see if I can make it work better.
Follow me on Twitter

wodk

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.2
Hello all !
I've install the package Attachments Download Permission to test and i've got problem to change the filesize limite (128ko)
I'm a new user of SMF is there a solution to stup the limit file size in this mod ?

JayBachatero

Quote from: wodk on February 22, 2007, 12:22:02 PM
SMF Version: SMF 1.1.2
Hello all !
I've install the package Attachments Download Permission to test and i've got problem to change the filesize limite (128ko)
I'm a new user of SMF is there a solution to stup the limit file size in this mod ?
This mod has nothing to do with filesize limits.
Follow me on Twitter

shaka

Quote from: JayBachatero on January 31, 2007, 11:56:27 PM
I'll have to look into the logic for this mod and see if I can make it work better.

Did you have any luck looking into this Mod?

wodk

JayBachatero i think you are wrong when i try to upload a 2048 Ko file i've got this message :

An Error Has Occurred!
Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 128 KB. 

shaka

Quote from: wodk on February 27, 2007, 12:33:43 PM
JayBachatero i think you are wrong when i try to upload a 2048 Ko file i've got this message :

An Error Has Occurred!

check your settings in the admin panel under attachments & avatars

JayBachatero

Quote from: wodk on February 27, 2007, 12:33:43 PM

An Error Has Occurred!

Like I said before.  This mod has NOTHING to do with filesizes.  Check your settings.
Follow me on Twitter

wodk

tsmalmbe

The matrix of permissions now has three items:

SEE | DL
---------
  X     O
---------
  X     X
---------
  O     O

Although this might seem really odd, but I do need the fourth option which is: cannot see the attachemtn BUT can download it. This has to do with dragging mp3-files into winamp: the logged-on user can see the attachments and drag the attachment to winamp, and then winamp is a "guest", who needs to be able to download the file. When a "real" guest is browsing the forum, he/she may not see the files (and thus the probability of them finding the attachemnts is nearly 0%).

Thanks for listening. Any possibility to get this change to the mod?
..:: http://www.kontrollrummet.com - Studio och musik ::.. RSS?

tsmalmbe

After looking at the mod, i am inclined to say that it doesn't do whatit promises. It does not change the original behaviour ov the "view attachment permission". The original "view attachment permission" remains as "view and download"-permission, and the new permission is "view-only"-permission.

So I changed the mod. Of course this makes it kindof a new mod. My mod modifies the original permission to become a "view-only"-permission, and adds a "download-only"-permission. With my mod you can then actually allow a guest to download an attachment, without seeing it. Apart from the obvious reason that I needed this change, I think this makes the permissions in general more manageable. The checkboxes actually do what they promise, view, download, both or neither.

Should I upload this "new" mod to this thread, or as a totally new mod?

eSiK

Doesn't work good for me...
When I check the box "view attachments" on Guests permissions - they see no image... only "x" sign saying that there is no picture... They have to have "download attachments" option checked - and then they can see them...
But it shouldn't work that way, huh? :-\

Can this be fixed?! Cuz that mod would be really usefull :)

tsmalmbe

OK, lets define download. Downloading means transferring something to the browser. The browser then either displays the content (like images) if it can, or asks to save it to disk (if it cannot display it).

So int this case, if you would have "preview", the image would already have to be downloaded to the browser.

If it is not the preview you are wondering about, but rather would want to get rid of the "X"-image, then it seems like tough luck. The isAllowed-method does not seem to be available in the template, and thus you cannot use it to say something like "if I have the right to see that there's an attachmtn available, show a link, but if I also have the download-permission, also show a thumbnail".

I tested this, and could not use the isAllowed-method in the template succesfully. So changing this is out of my scope at least.

Advertisement: