News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Global Headers and Footers

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 02, 2006, 10:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan S

Okay , Problem here

I created a forum , And copied that forum about 18 times to different domain names , This mod was on all of them , Now on the original forum the mod works fine. But on all the copied forums , I get the error when i try to save headers and footers

QuoteCan not open/home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxxx/smfheader.php.

Any ideas on why this is happening , I used the repair settings and the rest of the forum works , The path is correct to the file , I chmodded it to 777 and i tried disabling mod_security and it still happens

Help would be appreciated.

- Alan
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

nick09

thanks for the mod!

it helped me very much!

Scrambled Egg

I am having the exact same problem and error message, and have done what Alan S has done.

Please help asap.

thanks.

Quote from: Alan S on November 09, 2007, 04:52:50 PM
Okay , Problem here

I created a forum , And copied that forum about 18 times to different domain names , This mod was on all of them , Now on the original forum the mod works fine. But on all the copied forums , I get the error when i try to save headers and footers

QuoteCan not open/home/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxxx/smfheader.php.

Any ideas on why this is happening , I used the repair settings and the rest of the forum works , The path is correct to the file , I chmodded it to 777 and i tried disabling mod_security and it still happens

Help would be appreciated.

- Alan

vbgamer45

Check the path and check that smfheader.php exists in that path if not create the file and make it writable.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Alan S

The path is fine.

This is what i've so far established.

1) Trying to uninstall the mod doesnt work...at all , The mod still is there and appears as installed.
2) On manualy removing the mod and trying to reinstall it the mod wont install , it says it installs but none of its funtions work.
3) On trying manual install , None of the functions work.
4) On uninstalling it on pinoycartalk , Copying the database again and using it on pinoybeautytalk , Then reinstalling the mod still doesnt work. No feature functions.
5) On doing No4. and manualy install the mod it comes up , you can access the screens but on trying to save the headers and footers you get a white blank page.

So now

I go to the global headers and footers page , type my text in click save. A Blank white page appears. I click the "Go" button ( Firefox toolbar buton ) , Now the page reloads and its a white page but the text i typed into the Box for the header appears. , When i go back to the index everythings the same and when i go back to the global headers and footers screen no saved text comes up.

Any ideas on the problem?
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

LVGaryD

Having problems with this mod. Installed it, then when I used it, I got double everything. Uninstalled the mod, but it remained partially installed. Removed mod from my smf file on the server, but still the mod was there on my admin panel.

I tried to reinstall the mod to no avail, every thing is showing up double. Any ideas?

Ol' Wombat

Quote from: LVGaryD on November 27, 2007, 03:46:37 AM
Having problems with this mod. Installed it, then when I used it, I got double everything. Uninstalled the mod, but it remained partially installed. Removed mod from my smf file on the server, but still the mod was there on my admin panel.

I tried to reinstall the mod to no avail, every thing is showing up double. Any ideas?

yep, was the same for me - if you have a forum backup restore the sources folder but you may want to delete the forum and completely restore from a backup. I marked vbgamer as adventures to install.

TrueSatan

Yes...your initial problem occured because you had double installs of the mod, your uninstall removed only one of them and deleting the package wouldn't help with that at all. Reinstalling it after that would also not improve the situation.

You will need to check through all the files this mod edits manually removing duplicate or multiple instances of the edits it makes. The following may help:

Please read:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=402.msg531#msg531

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34526.0

The following may also prove helpful:

http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

Mirror of the last link:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html

There should be no need for the action advised by Ol' Wombat.

LVGaryD

Thank you guys. I am real new to this stuff, but it looks to me like the parser program might do the trick.

Will try that before embarking on getting into something I know nearly nothing about: code!

One other thing TrueSatan, how and where do I look for the files? Theparser said in a text editor. I might be completely dumb, but can't you modify the theme in the admin? I have no idea how to get my stuff into a text editor, like Dreamweaver or Front Page.

Thank you for any info!  ;)

TrueSatan

@ LVGaryD

Your files are on your server and are all the additional parts of your forum other than your forum database...they are mostly .php files but not entirely. You would get to them via a good ftp programme (filezilla (free) would be ideal) or if you have CPanel on your hosting you could use the File Manager in that.

The theme changer in your ACP has nothing to do with such file editing.

For a text editor I would suggest either making do with notepad or getting a proper (free) programming editor...PHP designer 2007 or ConTEXT would suit admirably.

You would use File Manager or an ftp programme to download the relevant files to your local machine then edit them with notepad or a proper programming editor prior to using the same systems to upload the edited versions to your hosting...N.B. keep the old copies by renaming them on your server...change, for instance, .php to .phpold in each one.

The simply awful Front Page has been abandoned even by MS themselves and I would not consider Dreamweaver for such a task.

LVGaryD

Thank you TrueSatan! Your knowledege is truly heavenly! This stuff suddenly makes sense to me now....well a little sense to me now.  :-\

I too have not used Front Page to do anyything for about 8-10 years. I bought it in 1997, built a few simple sites with it, then lent it to my ex-girlfriend's sister and never saw it again until a friend let me use his copy. I hate the program!

Now building sites with a real simple prgram called easyweb editor and editing them with Macromedia Contribute. It's gotten so easy I never needed to learn any code other than plain old html. Now after delving into this mess, I wish I'd studied code and such a bit harder.

Still a bit hesitant, but after changing some things, it is simple. Now you are putting me to work that might actually get something accomplished!

Thank you very much!

TrueSatan

My pleasure and thank you for your kind words. Doing such things on SMF is an excellent way to learn and gives a purpose to the learning which makes it much easier...actually the most important tool of all is a willingness to learn and you already seem to have that one.

LVGaryD

Quote from: TrueSatan on November 28, 2007, 05:07:02 AM
My pleasure and thank you for your kind words. Doing such things on SMF is an excellent way to learn and gives a purpose to the learning which makes it much easier...actually the most important tool of all is a willingness to learn and you already seem to have that one.
You know, it was funny. When I used the parser to remove the headers and footers, it still did not totally remove the mod. When I reinstalled the mod, it said there were still portions of it still installed from the previous installation. Regardless, it works real good now.

Also, it is a very good thing I followed all of the instructions. I totally blew the forum out by deleting one too many lines of code. Fortunately, I copied the filed and named it like you said, then when the forum was not able to load, I deleted my work and reinstalled the old file and repeated my steps correctly to delete the mod.

Works like a dream!

Now I just need to figure out how to put another tab or two on my navigation menu, get the forum compliant to XTML standars, and I will be nearly set....for the time being.

Thanks again!

TrueSatan

In the Package Parser you need to set to show all edits and each file mentioned may have multiple edits in it...

Adding new tabs is covered on the following link:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=564.0

Hope that gets you a step further along the way.

afternoonalarm

Hey guys this is a great mod addon IMHO but I have a problem. I was using this program and tried to center align the ads I was placing in the header and footer boxes, but it aligned all of my content to center as well(which is not what I wanted. Anyways when I went back to change it, somehthing happened and all that shows on my forum now is the header and footer. No Boards, I can;t even view admin sections such as modify theme. So I have no way of changing anything on my forum and am stuck. I have no clue what to do the site is www.afternoonalarm.com/smf [nofollow] if you would llook at it and give me some advice I would be very very appreciative. Thanks.

vbgamer45

You can edit the smfheader.php and smffooter.php files directly to fix the issue with html
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

afternoonalarm

hey vbgamer I have another question whenever you get a chance. I deleted the smfheader and footer php and that fixed the problem of showing everything on my forum and I tried to delete everything else of the program from my server and uninstall the globalheadersfooters program so I could reinstall it clean but it seems that there is still something on there because when I reinstall it there is double everything. I checked the other posts on this thread but can't come up with an answer. I really like this mod and want to use it but I can't fix these probably simple fix problems. Thanks

TrueSatan

If you will use the Package Parser to output the edits the mod makes you can check through them to remove the code added by the mod.

http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

Mirror of the last link:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html

Jameel225

thanks nice mod

but when i adding a ad its show bauble 

plz help me

TrueSatan

Whatever code you are adding would seem to be incorrect...please double check it.

Advertisement: