Global Announcements

Started by JayBachatero, August 15, 2006, 02:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kill3r

Quote from: TrueSatan on July 01, 2007, 04:59:25 PM
Had you tried the mod prior to posting your message you'd have found that it already supports SMF 1.1.3

No i never tried tat coz once i did like tat with some other mod and it messed up my database. its some sad story  ::)  between thanks for your time.

TrueSatan

@kill3r

SMF advisde you to backup both your files and your database prior to installing or uninstalling any mod or theme for that very reason. If you have those backups you can always restore from them with no harm done.

talex

Ok, i first tried to install this mod, but it didn't due to many other mods that are already on my board, so i tried to install it manually.
Everything seemed to go ok, but the needed boards in mysql weren't created.
So, i installed it on a clean installation of smf on my pc's wamp,took the query from there and then ran the sql query, so that the 2 needed boards are created.
But, when i try to activate the mod, it says that these sql boards are not found.
What have i done wrong?
How can i make it work correctly, and communicate with the db?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

TrueSatan

Extract from the package the file ga_install.php upload that file to your forum root then browse to the file so as to load it...that should put the database entries right.

bruno.cunha

I have installed the GA mod on 1.1.3 and I can't see where I can find the mod under admin. I'm using the babyllon theme.
Open your mind

TrueSatan

@ bruno.cunha

Does the mod appear in your ACP if you switch to the SMF default theme? If so it is installed and working properly.

Like almost all mods this mod only installs into the SMF default theme. If you want to use any other theme (referred to as a custom theme) then you need to edit the files of that them manually to make it work...please see:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=402.msg531#msg531

bruno.cunha

Not even using the SMF Default Theme - Core I can see it. Going to uninstall it and install it again
Open your mind

bruno.cunha

No such luck. I'm using the default theme, and still can't see the the GA
Open your mind

TrueSatan

Make sure that your forum language ACP>Server Settings is set to english and not english utf8.

bruno.cunha

The server is set to english as goes with the default instalation. I'm also using portuguese utf8, but at this moment it's using english
Open your mind

bruno.cunha

I made a brand new installation of smf, using only english portuguese. In english the GA is available, but on portuguese it's not available. Any reason why is this happening?
Open your mind

HecKel

Hi!

I am portuguese too :P

You have to edit the portuguese language files and insert all the new modifications there. See on the install.xml file what and how english languages files are modified and do that to portuguese language files.

HecKel
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

bruno.cunha

Sorry but can't find a install.xml
Open your mind

TrueSatan

install.xml file is in the mod package...on your local machine unpack the mod archive and then read the file to see the edits made to the english files and apply similar edits to your portugese ones as directed by Heckel above.

troyrulz007

ok the theme im using doesnt have its own messageindex.template.php so im modifying the one in the default folder, as far as i can tell i have added in the code to make it display correctly but instead i have

//Global Announcements adminIndex text strings. $txt['global_announcements_admin'] = 'Global Announcements'; $txt['global_announcements_mods'] = 'Mods'; $txt['whoallow_globalAnnouncementsAdmin'] = 'Managing the Global Announcements.'; $txt['whoall_globalAnnouncements'] = 'Viewing a Global Announcement';

showing at the top of every page. any suggestions?

TrueSatan

Check your Modifications.english.php file...if your custom theme doesn't have it's own one then the one from the SMF default theme will be used. Look for:

?>

...it should appear once only and at the end of the file on a line of its own. Edit as necessary to make this the case.

bruno.cunha

I edited the install.xml and changed where it says .english to portuguese. Uploaded again the file and when installing the mod it had an error in Errors.portuguese.php. The rest of the files were ok. I'm uding the default template.

@ HecKel - It's good to see a fellow country man here :D

Open your mind

TrueSatan

Just editing the name of the file isn't sufficient...you need to edit the text in the file to the Portuguese equivalents of the words used in it. You didn't need to edit install.xml...Heckel said..

QuoteSee on the install.xml file what and how english languages files are modified and do that to Portuguese language files.

It would be best if you uninstalled the mod then installed an unmodified version of the mod and then edited the Portuguese language files as per Heckel's advice above...note there are four files to edit. That way the english version will be unmodified and installed in full so that you can use that to check that the mod is working properly.

bruno.cunha

ok, thanks, i'll try that :D
Open your mind

troyrulz007

it
Quote from: TrueSatan on July 12, 2007, 08:26:21 AM
Check your Modifications.english.php file...if your custom theme doesn't have it's own one then the one from the SMF default theme will be used. Look for:

?>

...it should appear once only and at the end of the file on a line of its own. Edit as necessary to make this the case.

it is at the very end of the file but there is nothing about this particular mod in the file either :s

Advertisement: