News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Spam Accounts

Started by aw06, August 20, 2006, 08:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aw06

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Since my forum hit 300 members i have been gettin lots of spam accounts,. like 4 daily >:( how can i stop this ??
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

sawz

adding captcha will slow em down.
using e-mail verification or member approval for new sign ups Admin> Members> Settings
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

aw06

Quote from: sawz on August 20, 2006, 08:57:21 AM
adding captcha will slow em down.
using e-mail verification or member approval for new sign ups Admin> Members> Settings

Yeah i use verification, thats how i actually fight it now , but it seems like actual people because i have a gender selection on sign up with 3 options .. and they are chosing male which is not the default ...

I will look into "captcha"
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

jaijaymama

I'm glad I'm not the only one (because there's a fix!). I've installed Captcha, only it doesn't show up! No one can register and I get an error stating I did not put in the correct code. Help! Thanks!

http://www.milspouse.com/forum/index.php?action=register

aw06

Captcha Works like a charm for me .. i just installed it .. thanks a million  :D
http://jagdyb.com/forum/index.php?action=register

How do you tell the letter O from the number 0 .. they look the same to me .. and do you have to type it in the same case they have it ?

vbgamer45

Quote from: jaijaymama on August 20, 2006, 10:01:26 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one (because there's a fix!). I've installed Captcha, only it doesn't show up! No one can register and I get an error stating I did not put in the correct code. Help! Thanks!

Hmm seems you need to add the CAPTCHA code to that template since you are not using the default theme you would need to edit register.template.php for your theme and inlcude the captcha code.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

aw06

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 20, 2006, 10:07:48 AM

Hmm seems you need to add the CAPTCHA code to that template since you are not using the default theme you would need to edit register.template.php for your theme and inlcude the captcha code.

Im not using the default theme either and it worked for me ::)

jaijaymama

Where do I get the code, and where does it go?

codenaught

aw06, most themes do not include a Register.template.php, but I am assuming that the Themis theme that jaijaymama is using includes one thus requiring the template code to be edited to add the captcha code to. You could also remove the Register.template.php in the 'Themis' directory, but it may make it look a little bit different as it will now revert to the default theme's Register.template.php.

You may want to look at How to make mods work with themes?
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

aw06

Quote from: sawz on August 20, 2006, 08:57:21 AM
adding captcha 
^^^^^^^^^
Get it There
Quote from: jaijaymama on August 20, 2006, 10:25:48 AM
Where do I get the code, and where does it go?

It goes into your forum Features and Options page ...

jaijaymama

I found a simpler fix for now - just changed overall theme to SMF default. ;) Works.

Fizzy

I'm glad I'm not the only one (because there's a fix!). I've installed Captcha, only it doesn't show up! No one can register and I get an error stating I did not put in the correct code.

Can you check to see if you have GD Library installed. You can check this with phpinfo.php
Look for "GD Support    enabled"

What is phpinfo.php?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

jaijaymama

It's just my theme - changed to SMF default and it works. :)

Thanks, everyone!

chipset66

Quote from: aw06 on August 20, 2006, 08:47:05 AM
SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Since my forum hit 300 members i have been gettin lots of spam accounts,. like 4 daily >:( how can i stop this ??
I use a question in registration page (like "how much fingers you have"  ;)) and bots can't answer.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: chipset66 on October 10, 2006, 05:10:36 AM
I use a question in registration page (like "how much fingers you have"  ;)) and bots can't answer.

So my registration would be rejected when I answered (truthfully) '9'? ::)

ScousePete

Quote from: aw06 on August 20, 2006, 09:36:44 AM
i have a gender selection on sign up with 3 options ..

3 options?  :D

sawz

keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ScousePete

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 10, 2006, 02:23:50 PM
Yeah... Male, Female and Not Specified :)

I was thinking more along the lines of male, female, other :)

Fizzy

Male / Female / Androgenous
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: