News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bear / Mood Tags

Started by Gobo, October 07, 2006, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueSatan

You can use it on newer SMF versions at your own risk by using version emulate:

Put ;emulate_version=1.1.2 at the end of the Package Manager URL

milly

I'd rather have an updated version of the package!

sillymilly

i'd rather have an updated version of this too!!

I'd love for the bears to be message based, so people can see how you felt when posting, not how you 'now'!

perpetuallove

I seem to be having problems with this Mod. Its so cute and I know the girls on my forum would love it but i cant get it to work! I go to the packages, and its there but there is no area to install it. I also tried manually doing it but i cant get that to work either because i do not have a "Profile.template.php" Any idea why this is? I am hoping to get this to work with the Candy theme.......Dont know if you knowing what theme im using will help..... I also cant get the other mods to work either! hmmmmm..... But this one I think im not doing something right overall because it wont even show up in the default theme, and the other mods do!

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Kudos on this mod though even though i cant get it to work lol! i love it!

TrueSatan

If you must use custom themes you will need to manually install mods into them...the following advice applies:

Please read:

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=402.msg531#msg531

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34526.0

The following may also prove helpful:

http://modparser.dev.dansoftaustralia.net/

Mirror of the last link:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-package-parser.html

Please also check the setup of your forum as follows:

You need to go to ACP>Server Settings and set your forum language to English and not English utf8 and to ACP>Features and Options>Basic Settings and uncheck Enable user-selectable language support.

You need to go to ACP>Packages>Options>Installation Options and set the fields according to your hosting details then on the same page go to Cleanup Permissions and select All files Writeable and run the cleanup...check via ftp that CHMOD of all your files is now 777 or 775 according to the peculiarities of your hosting and if not recheck the settings you made in Installation Options and run the cleanup again...continue as needed until you get the right settings.

perpetuallove

hmmmm..... ok i tried doing this. But you didnt answer my question abt not having the profile.template.php for that theme. Matter of fact i dont have it for any of the themes other than the default. Do i just edit that one? If so, i did that, and still it doesnt show anywhere except in the packages section where i cant install or uninstall. And i went looking for the

// Show the member's gender icon?

In the Themes/[your theme]/Display.template.php but that line is not there. I am using notepad and I searched with there feature to locate as well as several times just me looking over the file. And the Dilbur theme i was trying to use doesnt even have a display.template.php file anywhere...... not that i can see and i looked several times. So i have just decided to use the candy theme..... any idea what i could be doing wrong? What i am trying to do now is at least get it succesfully installed in the default and figure it out from there. I know for sure i have uploaded all the files i downloaded. hence the question....... Am i supposed to load these files into the "packages" section or another?

Thank you for your help, again i apologize- im obviously a newbie!

perpetuallove

ugh! ok heres what ive got. i did find that gender part- not so sure how i overlooked it, and kinda aggravated with myself! But i have gotten the moods to show in the part where you select it, and when i go look at my posts it says "mood" but thats it. no pic or word- is there maybe something else i need to edit in the part that i manually added to the file sheets?

perpetuallove

ok nevermind. i think i will give up on this. I dont know what happened but this made my forum run extremely slow and i know those are the only files i edited so i dont know whats wrong......maybe i will try again at a later date when there arent ppl IMing me asking me whats wrong with the forum. lol. THank you :)

TrueSatan

profile.template issue...sorry I missed that query.

Your forum should works as follows...if a custom theme doesn't contain a particular file then the file of the same name in the SMF default theme should, automatically, get used...however...I've seen occasions where for some peculiar reason that seems to be linked to certain hosts it doesn't work and then you need to copy each file in question from the default theme and add it to each custom theme that you wish to use. Try it without all this copying first but if you get problems you now know what to do.

Not all themes will, easily anyhow, work with all mods...some are much more difficult than others and, in general, those that are derivatives of the SMF default theme tend to be the easier to use...in general I would suggest that if you must use themes you stick to those that you can edit fairly easily...these would be the defult theme derivatives.

perpetuallove

No need for apologies, you have been very helpful. ;)

I tried copying the "profile.template.php" from my default folder to my candy folder. well, copying and making a new file for the candy one that is.   This didnt seem to change anything. It still shows the "mood" but has no image under it, no matter what mood i choose..... Do you think I need to move the beartabs directory elsewhere? also does it matter what i have named the "subdirectory" with the files in? I know with PHPbb you have to name it specific. Is this the case? maybe that is my problem. But i tried renaming it several different things with no avail.

Sorry for all the posting, ! maybe these posts will help users in the future though...lol ;)

If you would like to take a look at the "test forum" i set up to see what i am talking abt, feel free. THis is not my regular one, just one i set up to be sure i could get it right before i mess with my actual forum!

http://www.perpetuallove.net/testforum/index.php

Thanks again!

TrueSatan

Oooooooh I feel queasy...it's that horrible theme you chose...pass the nausea pills.

The images need to go into the following general path in each of the themes you wish to use:

Forum root>Themes>{theme name}>images>

You only mention editing Profile.template.php...presumably you made the necessary edits to Display.template.php as well?

perpetuallove

HAHAHAHAHA omg that cracked me up! Yes true that the colors arent great but the setup itself is what i like. I like the designs as well and i can easily change the colors- mainly the orange is what i will be altering- but i didnt want to spend time on that if i wasnt going to be able to make this one work! lol! 

I am assuming i altered the display.template.php correctly. I mentioned the other more because i didnt have that other file and had to "create" it in my "candy" folder-

Ok i put the images as you said and its still not showing them! UGH! lol. here is where i placed them

(mysite).net/testforum/Themes/candy/imgages

This is right, right? but they still are not showin!

TrueSatan

Does the mod work in the SMF default theme? Before worrying about any other theme you should get it working properly in the SMF default theme.

Remove what you have done so far and go back to the default theme then proceed as follows:

Did you install via the package manager using version emulate or by editing the package to support SMF 1.1.4?

Version emulate should work with it as follows:

The way emulate version works is that you go to the SMF mods site and find the page for the mod you wish to use...or go to the first post in the support topic for it here where a link will be found. From that page you will find the last SMF version that the mod supports. This mod supports SMF 1.1.2 thus that is the last version in this instance. You would then add  &emulate_version=1.1.2 to the end of the package manager url in your forum. By this we mean use the ACP>Packages>Download browse to the package and then add the &emulate_version=1.1.2 to the URL prior to downloading the package into your forum.

perpetuallove

ok. i think did what you are saying.....i tried doing it thru the ACP and i know what u mean as far as download that way- however there is not a link to do so for the bears......so i went to the site i download it at, not thru ACp, but downloaded it to my computer- and before i did i put that emulate thing at the end- and it seemed like it refreshed the page, then i downloaded it. So far is that what i should do? i havent uploaded it yet because i am completely uninstalling and reinstalling SMF because for some reason it wouldnt let me delete some of the tiny portal files so i will just start over from scratch- no biggie....

Guess i will come back when i have done that and let you know if it worked. Oh yea- if i do this emulate thing then do i still manually edit the files for this mod?

TrueSatan

If you use version emulate it should let you install the mod into your SMF default theme without any need to edit at all...you will still need to edit custom themes though. Normally mods that don't support a new SMF version will cause an error report saying that the mod is corrupt or incompatible with the SMF version in use...version emulate tells the forum to act as though it were an earlier version of SMF and install the mod.

The only official download site for mods or themes is this one...and the link for this mod is shown in the very first posting in this topic. Download the mod to your local machine and use version emulate when you are uploading from your local machine to your forum.

tpruessner

sorry.....didn't realize GOBO still updated this mod.  My deepest apologies for any problems because of this post.

perpetuallove

aw thanks tpruessner! i will try this shortly...... I seem to have screwed myself and am unable to log into my regular forum- some kind of cookies error   >  :(

TrueSatan

Actually there is a good reason why I didn't provide an updated mod...having been told not to do so by SMF staff has a lot to do with it!

The author of this mod is still active on SMF...last visited not that long ago...so he can update or not as he sees fit. If a developer has obviously abandoned a mod that is a different matter. The standard way to handle such things is to advise use of version emulate...it doesn't step on the toes of mod developers and still allows use of the mod.

perpetuallove

yes you do have a point TrueSatan!

and nevermind - i figured it out and got to log on, all i had to do was clear all the private data! dang! lol. now im off to figure out how to Install these little boogers! lol. i am going to try the method u suggested first!

perpetuallove

ok. i know this is going to sound stupid again but oh well.  I still dont exactly understand what you mean by this emulate  stuff. I tried doing how i think u mean, but it says thats a no-no- lol. It says "Could not upload package, please check directory permissions!"  ???????? 

So im trying the manual install.... i dont understand where I am supposed to put that emulate thingy in!

Advertisement: