Admin Notepad

Started by Secret, June 15, 2004, 07:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Secret

like ipb, so admins can see a little notepad with notes when they log in to the admin panel

Secret Gaming (My Site)

Grudge

I swear I saw this not long ago. I do actually think this would be a useful addition for a busy forum - but not for most forums with just one, maybe two admins. Just somewhere to note "xxx is causing trouble etc". Don't think it will ever make it in as a feature though - more likely a mod. Although maybe one day...
I'm only a half geek really...

Ben_S

Pointless if you ask me on a busy forum or not, you have an admin board, just post a topic there, I wouldnt be bothered to check some notepad, just post a topic/post in a private board, easy
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Grudge

But admins like to feel big and important :P They need their own notepad!
I'm only a half geek really...

Ben_S

Well, I've never felt the need to have a notepad, maybe others a different.

[Unknown]

Mod.  I may write it if I feel like it, just because the package manager needs testing.

-[Unknown]

Burpee

Another idea, close to this one...
This may very well already exist, but wouldn't it be kinda neat to make notes per user? So that the admin could write some stuff about a user when it's been misbehaving, that way keeping a record of it?
(This isn't entirely my idea, I saw it on a vbb forum modded by some 13 yr old, just so you know...)

Fizzy

What's wrong with just having an Admin Only or Mod Team Only board?
That's what I have done for ages and it works extremely well. Let's face it, threads are organised a lot better than a notepad anyway.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Burpee

Actually, I have that too... but our "Blacklist" thread already has 50+ posts in it, which makes it pretty hard to keep track of all offenders... only last week I banned somebody when I discovered he had broken the same rule 12 times in a row in a years time, using 4 different names....
That's another thing that should be done too (if this was to be made) ... linking the notes to IP's as well... (if that's possible) ...

Ben_S

I suppose notes tied to a users profile (admin only) isnt a bad idea, in fact I would quite like it.

A normal notepad though is pointless.

Burpee

Hmm... even another idea... (god I'm spending too much time on this... I've got final exams in like 30 minutes and I've spent all morning looking at boards)...
You could make it with records... cuz my main concern with creating a notepad for a user is that a user with friends in the right places could easily get a mod w/ access to the notes to clear out his notes and you'd never know...
With records, each time somebody has broken a rule, you enter it in a list of offences that cannot be deleted. You could also create different classes... for example a 'warning', which will show when the warned user logs in and makes him read that warning first before he can continue onto the board... (this is getting fun)... a feature like this would be neat...
I think it should be put in SMF standard if it's approved, cuz I don't know a single board where people don't break rules...

Mike Bobbitt

I like the idea of being able to add admin/mod only notes to a user's profile. Lets you indicate troublemakers to other mods. Used that feature fairly regularly in UBB...

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: Grudge on June 15, 2004, 07:07:22 PM
But admins like to feel big and important :P They need their own notepad!

lol.

I needed to have such a forum in my YaBB 1.3.1 Gold SP days, the board was so active users used to "break" threads on a regular basis so I'd move them to a hidden board, repair them, and move them back.

I still have that forum, I use it primarily to store weekly threads, I have an "artist of the week" thread every Friday so I stock pile those threads in the hidden forum and move one to the main forum every Friday.

So yeah, an admin/mod section only has its uses.

Burpee

*bump*
Yes, no or maybe?

Cerberus

Quote from: Secret on June 15, 2004, 07:02:21 PM
like ipb, so admins can see a little notepad with notes when they log in to the admin panel
Nice idea, but I prefer to have a special category for admins ;D
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

dschwab9

I like something like this as well.  However, I don't think it should be in the Admin center because 1) People probably don't go in the Admin Center often enough to keep up with it and 2) It's easier just to make a private board.  Something tied to the users profile would be nice, though.  Of course, you could easily add an additional profile field and make it only visible to Admins/Global mods.

Advertisement: