News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Slow Forum.

Started by richfella, November 09, 2006, 05:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richfella

SMF Version: SMF 1.0.9
Please what can I do about my forum, it loads vry slowly. My internet connection is not fast but my forum is particularly very slow!

There's this other guy with an SMF forum and we use the same host. His forum works like a charm on my pc; it loads instantly but mine takes a little less than a century to load.

I just converted from phpbb my domain is www.NairaRepublic.com but am still waiting for support (I asked a question in the forum and am waiting) to convert it from www.NairaRepublic.com/forum/index.php. The other guy's forum url is www.igoldforum.com. Thanks for your help.

Oldiesmann

His board is also a lot smaller than yours:

His board - 80 posts, 34 topics, 31 members
Your board - 610 posts, 207 topics, 294 members

Your SMF board isn't there right now so I can't comment on the speed without seeing it.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

richfella

Please my board is up right now : www.NairaRepublic.com

Please what can I do about this pathetic slow speed. Your SMF board is cetainly very big compared to mine, but it downloads very fast also over my connection.

Oldiesmann

First you need to fix the theme url. Go to Admin -> Current Theme and remove the "/forum" from the end of the path and URL. Once you've done that if your forum is still slow, follow the instructions in the sticky topic at the top of this board and post again.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

richfella

1. www.NairaRepublic.com
2. www.NairaRepublic.com/status.php
3. www.NairaRepublic.com/phpinfo.php
4. Shared host. Their website is www.Supremecenterhosting.com. I don't actually know the package am on (I paid someone to host for me) but it's a 6GB memory and 150GB bandwidth package. The server am on is www.supremecenter33.com.
5.  658 posts.
6. Highest number of users ever online is 50 (probably because I set the board to show users active in the past 1440 minutes).
7. No MODS installed.
8. Theme makes no difference, same speed for both classic and default.
9. A, not wanting on the README article.

richfella

please am still waiting for a response. Thanks.

Oldiesmann

Have your host adjust the values for the following MySQL variables:

query_cache
table_cache
thread_cache_size

query_cache will need to be pretty big - have your host read the MySQL manual section on Query Cache Configuration for more info...
table_cache won't need to be anywhere near as big - tell your host to increase it in increments of 128 until the "Opened vs. Open tables" value gets a lot lower
thread_cache_size doesn't need to be that large either - usually 1024 (1MB) or 2048 (2MB) should do it.

The table_cache value is really what's killing you - "Opened vs. Open tables" is currently 702180.8281. That, combined with a semi-busy server (32.8975 queries per second), is really slowing things down.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: