SMFChess

Started by feeble, November 26, 2006, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feeble

Sorry for the late replies, I just realised Gmail was dumping all the emails from SMF into my spam box.  :'(
Also just built my self a new box, and had to solve some BSOD issues before I could start transfering my files over, all good now thou.

Quote from: sennad on November 24, 2007, 12:23:17 PM
My poor written english :). I translated file you send me to (it is on first post of this topic) :), and I will translate all when it is finished and you can explain me then what to translate :).

I will instal mode now, tnx for info about instal/uninstal
Hey Sennad, I never actually received this email, ill take a look through my spam box, but if you could can you please send it again.

Quote from: Godsongz on November 26, 2007, 12:15:52 PM
Hey feeble!  Happy Anniversary! :)

It was one year ago today that this thread was created and you introduced us all to your fantastic chess mod.  I didn't pick up the trail until this past summer, but hey, that just means I missed a lot of the early bugs right? :)

Anyway, thanks again for all your effort on this project!
Umm lol thanks, I dont think this is a good thing to be honest. then again, I started this project all over again just before your summer so its all good i think.

Quote from: flame baiter on November 28, 2007, 03:18:55 AM
1 year? Wow! Will there be 1.0 any time soon?
Im hoping soon, at the moment im trying to get certified for wreck diving. I know thats got nothing to do with this mod, umm lol im lousy at excuses, soon soon.

I know ive said this before, but I am hoping to get back on the regular releases soon, as I it makes working on this mod much more enjoyable

Quote from: AllMassive on November 28, 2007, 02:21:51 PM
Hi - i installed chess 2 Days ago in smf 1.1.4 / utf-8.
Today i found plenty of Messages like this:
http://forum.com/index.php?action=chessXml;sa=update;sesc;id=19;timestamp=1196273122;xml
Kann das 'main' Template nicht laden.

Seems like its the same as the first entry of this Report.
hmm, is the chess board updating and saving correctly?
It looks like its having issues loading the xml template file.

feeble

this is probably old, but I came across this today.

Thinking Machine 4
QuoteThinking Machine 4 explores the invisible, elusive nature of thought. Play chess against a transparent intelligence, its evolving thought process visible on the board before you.
The artwork is an artificial intelligence program, ready to play chess with the viewer. If the viewer confronts the program, the computer's thought process is sketched on screen as it plays. A map is created from the traces of literally thousands of possible futures as the program tries to decide its best move. Those traces become a key to the invisible lines of force in the game as well as a window into the spirit of a thinking machine.

I think its actually really cool and I highly recommend just checking it out and playing a game with it.

Im going to chuck the creators an email and see if I can use their chess pieces for the mod, as I really like the pieces that they have used.

De4thPr00f

I haven't tried this mod yet, but let me ask how it works. I mean, how do you ask for a battle to a buddy? On their profile? Just wondering.

Chopper

Chess peices showing a red cross? I cant see chess pieces

falguni1

I too interested in this mod

Godsongz

Quote from: Chopper on December 01, 2007, 10:20:25 AM

Did you copy the pieces directory to $themedir/SMFChess/pieces ?

Godsongz

Quote from: De4thPr00f on November 30, 2007, 11:58:17 PM
I haven't tried this mod yet, but let me ask how it works. I mean, how do you ask for a battle to a buddy? On their profile? Just wondering.

Built into the mod is a "Challenge" system, where you can either challenge a specific person to a game, or set up a kind of open challenge where you're just advertising that you want a game and anyone can come and start a game against you.

Chopper

Quote from: Godsongz on December 01, 2007, 10:50:11 AM

Yes i have done that now, however, instead of the entire board full of red x's its now only the pieces that have a red x. I should have explained this better before, sorry.

Kays

Right click on the red X, choose properties to see what the path to the images is. Then make sure that the images are in that folder.

$themedir is the path to the theme you are using. Each theme has it's own images folder.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Godsongz

Quote from: Chopper on December 01, 2007, 11:12:33 AM

Yes i have done that now, however, instead of the entire board full of red x's its now only the pieces that have a red x. I should have explained this better before, sorry.

Ahh, you must have figured it out this afternoon then, because I see pieces on your site now, the "marroquin" style :)

Chopper

Quote from: Godsongz on December 01, 2007, 05:52:21 PM
Quote from: Chopper on December 01, 2007, 11:12:33 AM
Thanks for your help

Ahh, you must have figured it out this afternoon then, because I see pieces on your site now, the "marroquin" style :)

Thanks for your help

AllMassive

Quote from: Feeble on November 30, 2007, 12:22:05 AM

Quote from: AllMassive on November 28, 2007, 02:21:51 PM
Hi - i installed chess 2 Days ago in smf 1.1.4 / utf-8.
Today i found plenty of Messages like this:
http://forum.com/index.php?action=chessXml;sa=update;sesc;id=19;timestamp=1196273122;xml
Kann das 'main' Template nicht laden.

Seems like its the same as the first entry of this Report.
hmm, is the chess board updating and saving correctly?
It looks like its having issues loading the xml template file.
This never happend again after i did the Database-Maintenance.

feeble

Quote from: AllMassive on December 05, 2007, 05:43:18 AM

So its working fine now?

Chopper

How about showing taken pieces?

brianjw

Quote from: Chopper on December 05, 2007, 03:46:05 PM
How about showing taken pieces?
I like that idea as well. Maybe like normal chess-

The pieces you have taken would be in the bottom right corner (not on board) and the ones that the opponent has taken would be on the top left. Although this would be from the default view of you being on the bottom and the opponent on top.

brianjw

AllMassive

Quote from: Feeble on December 05, 2007, 07:15:17 AM
Quote from: AllMassive on December 05, 2007, 05:43:18 AM

So its working fine now?

Yes - no more errors in the Logs.
Two guys complained that they started a match and all the chess pieces were mixed on the board - only the pawns were right - but i couldn't find any errors in the Log nor could replicate it.

feeble

Quote from: AllMassive on December 06, 2007, 05:54:13 PM
Yes - no more errors in the Logs.
Two guys complained that they started a match and all the chess pieces were mixed on the board - only the pawns were right - but i couldn't find any errors in the Log nor could replicate it.

Good to hear,

thats not an error,

when they created the match, they probably put a tick to enable Chess960
more info on the gametype here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

AllMassive

capabmx

That thinking machine chess game really messes with your mind. It is so trippy lol. I am playing it right now, and if the computer wins I'm going to be angry. I think it was talking smack to me, so I'm gonna jump into the computer and beat it up. Ok, done being wierd, but I wanted to compliment Feeble for making this mod :). It is a great addition to any forum.
Always looking to take on a web design/ programming job :], PM me if interested.

PLAYBOY

Its been almost a year that you have been working on this mod and it is a successful, great mod but we are still waiting for,

- a language file
- an official release
- buttons
- a solution to king-castle problem (i cant make king-castle)

We really need those. Please complete this mod.

Advertisement: