Maximun edit time

Started by dschwab9, September 13, 2003, 06:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwab9

Has a maximum edit time for posts been considered or implemented?

I coded a 24 hour limit into my YaBB SE, bit it would be nice to see as a standard feature.

Keeps people from going back and changing a 6 month old posts or getting mad and deleting all their posts.

Seph|roth

Yes, i think that's a very good idea... i'd say 2 or three days max.

Valconeye

well if you have an auto prune (nice feature btw) you wouldnt need this mod.

David

This space for rent.

dschwab9

Quote from: Valconeye on September 14, 2003, 01:59:45 AM
well if you have an auto prune (nice feature btw) you wouldnt need this mod.

What does that have to do with maximun edit time?  I'm saying that after a day or two, I shouldn't be able to edit this post.  I don't this is implemented (or maybe it's just not turned on)m because I just edited a post from Aug 10 to test, and it let me.

Valconeye

QuoteKeeps people from going back and changing a 6 month old posts or getting mad and deleting all their posts.
was what i was refering to

[Unknown]

Quote from: David on September 14, 2003, 02:31:38 AM
Already implemented here.

Not that I knew of, exactly.. although I personally don't feel this is all that useful, it could easily be added in.

-[Unknown]

Brian Lacy

I can certainly see a use for it if you have people on your forum that like to go back and delete their post or change what they posted long after the fact, so that thread continuity is destroyed. I personally have only had or seen such a problem a couple of times, and a couple of times isn't that big a deal.

dschwab9

Quote from: Valconeye on September 14, 2003, 03:21:07 AM
QuoteKeeps people from going back and changing a 6 month old posts or getting mad and deleting all their posts.
was what i was refering to

Still has absolutely nothing to do with autoprune.  ???

QuoteNot that I knew of, exactly.. although I personally don't feel this is all that useful, it could easily be added in.

Depends on the type of forum you run and your userbase.  In my case, a couple of the forums are technical related, and when someone posts a question or other info, 10 people reply to it, then the original poster decides to change his message, then all the replies are invalid and the thread is effectively trashed.  I've seen it happen several times, which is why I implemented the limit.  Also had a couple of cases where a user got mad and threatened to delete al his posts.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had these problems.

helenbpd

My forum desperately needs an editing time-limit as well.  We have a number of contentious folks who like to go back and erase/edit their posts after others have responded, confusing the thread and enabling a lot of historical revisionism of debates etc.  (Plus, in these cases it's just plain rude to other members.)

We'd like to be able to set a, say, 60-minute time limit on any editing of a new post by its author.  After that time elapses, no more editing or deletion of the post would be possible.  [However, we do want to retain eternal editing rights for moderators/admins.]

As it stands, we can:

1. disallow all general members from editing, ever
2. allow all general members to edit at will

[The "courtesy edit time" simply refers to when a "modified by" note will show up at the bottom, right?  (After 5,10,15 min, etc.)]

Rather than grant certain groups (say, members w/50 posts) full editing rights, we very much want to set a standard time-limit for all members for every post.  As the software stands, I can't figure out how to do it.

Do consider!  Desperately needed!  :)

Helen

codenaught

Personally I think it would be nice to not completely remove the ability to edit a message in X time but have any edited messages after X days require approval by one with the powers to do so. So when a moderator for example sees a post he could see the original post and under it there can be a link saying, 'This user has requested to edit this post, view comparison of revision to original post' and so the moderator could be able to determine whether to allow the edit or not. This may not work as well with really really old posts unless there was a modified lookup section in the admin cp or something where you can view all of the edit requests.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

[Unknown]

Find, Sources/Post.php:
// Make sure the user isn't spamming the board.
if (!isset($_REQUEST['msg']))
spamProtection('spam');

Add after:
if (!empty($modSettings['edit_wait_time']) && $row['posterTime'] + $modSettings['edit_wait_time'] * 60 < time() && !allowedTo('moderate_board'))
fatal_error('You\'re not allowed to edit your posts anymore!', false);

Find, Sources/Display.php:
'can_modify' => allowedTo('modify_any') || (allowedTo('modify_replies') && $context['user']['started']) || (allowedTo('modify_own') && $message['ID_MEMBER'] == $ID_MEMBER),
'can_remove' => allowedTo('remove_any') || (allowedTo('remove_replies') && $context['user']['started']) || (allowedTo('remove_own') && $message['ID_MEMBER'] == $ID_MEMBER),

Replace:
'can_modify' => allowedTo('modify_any') || (allowedTo('modify_replies') && $context['user']['started']) || (allowedTo('modify_own') && $message['ID_MEMBER'] == $ID_MEMBER && (empty($modSettings['edit_disable_time']) || $message['posterTime'] + $modSettings['edit_wait_time'] * 60 > time())),
'can_remove' => allowedTo('remove_any') || (allowedTo('remove_replies') && $context['user']['started']) || (allowedTo('remove_own') && $message['ID_MEMBER'] == $ID_MEMBER),

That will change the meaning of the setting for you.

-[Unknown]

williammc

Curious if there is a way to have edit button disppear after a certain amount of time(12 hours or more).

And whats above in the code is that seconds/minutes/hours/days.  :D

Kender

why not create a usergroup for people who abuse edit
have permissions for that usergroup restricted to no edit no delete
when someone does something you dont like, throw them in that usergroup
http://chucknorris2012.com  Avoid a roundhouse kick to the head!  Sign the petition

williammc

Quote from: Kender on November 05, 2004, 02:54:55 AM
That would make things easier, who wants the easy way out. ;)

Kender

http://chucknorris2012.com  Avoid a roundhouse kick to the head!  Sign the petition

dschwab9

What about people that are good for a year, then turn bad and delete all their posts?

Kender

more that i think about it, the more i think that it would be a good idea

maybe allow edit of post for 48 hours, and only admin can delete or edit after that
that should allow people to think about what they are saying and clarify any points

though with a board where you have developing software, you can now edit post 1, to change the location of a download file

so maybe make it so that you can have it set by default with a max edit time, but be able to turn it off for a specific board

helenbpd

Quote from: Kender on November 05, 2004, 02:54:55 AM

The problem with that is that they'd get a public user-group title in their profile, no?  (like "global moderator" etc)  Seems kind of embarassing to advertise someone's restricted status (say, "restricted buffoon") to the other members.

H

helenbpd

PS: oh yeah, can someone confirm where the actual time setting is in that code?

tanks!  :)

Advertisement: