News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Best way to convert phpBB to SMF

Started by tpupaz, March 19, 2007, 04:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpupaz

My friend is closing his website and his board wants to stay alive so I offered to move it to my website where I run SMF. So the situation we are at now is that he has his server and I have mine, so I guess what I am asking is what do I need to move it all over.

I was going to have him export his db in a sql file and then copy that over but from there I'ma little lost in what to do as I cant seem to find any good directions or guides on how to do this properly.

Am I at least going in the right direction by having him export to a sql file using phpmyadmin and then giving me that copy to upload to my MYSQL server?

Thanks much and any help is appreciated

Tony  

H

The best way (because I know nothing about phpbb) would be to convert and then move SMF using this guide:

Saving/Restoring, and Moving SMF From a Host to Another

You could probably move phpbb and then convert but you'd need to ask the phpbb folks :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

margarett

You just need to have the DB in your server, and configure mysql user/password for it.
Then, create any folder in your server, and put "configure.php" from phpBB with the mysql data, and it's all you need.

Don't forget that the conversion will overwrite ALL your SMF data!
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: