News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Importing phpBB smileys

Started by packman, August 30, 2004, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman

I'm thinking about adding code to the converter to migrate the phpBB smileys into SMF. phpBB doesn't have the SMF concept of 'smiley sets', so I was thinking of migrating all the phpBB smileys into the SMF default smiley set. The problem with this is that SMF expects all the smiley sets to have exactly the same set of smileys installed, so the classic set which is installed with SMF gives a lot of errors. So I was thinking of wiping out all existing SMF smiley sets, then creating a new SMF default smiley set before migrating the phpBB smileys across.

Can anyone think of a good reason for not doing this and if so a better way to handle the migration?
Chris

Amacythe

I would suggest you double check that those smilies aren't copyrighted before installing them to another software package.  Also, there are many smilies available for SMF.  Check the Graphics forum for details :)

packman

Copyright is an interesting question that I'll look into.

I'll look at the smilies in the graphics forum, but my problem is that I've added hundred of smileys to my phpBB forum using smiley packs and I know that some users have made a lot of use of them. Even if I could find equivalent smileys here, it would be a big job to manually install them and ensure that I used matching tags. If I don't use matching tags then I'll end up with a lot of :idioticgrin: type entries in the migrated messages that won't make sense without the image being displayed.
Chris

packman

I solved the problem by letting the user choose between the original smiley conversion code or some code which migrates all the phpBB2 smileys across (with a comment about copyright to make sure people think about it).
Chris

Oldiesmann

Just add "Some smileys copyright ©2004 by phpBB. Used with permission" to the copyright tag and you shouldn't have a problem.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

packman

They're not really used with permission though!

There is a set of phpBB smileys in the Graphics board that I'm going to have a look at. If they're re-worked versions of the originals, then one simple solution would be to migrate the full set of smileys and then the user can manually overwrite the originals with the SMF set.
Chris

Advertisement: