News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Order News

Started by 青山 素子, April 04, 2007, 02:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Link to Mod

When using the news fader in SMF, items are displayed in the order they are entered. There has been expressed a desire to have an easy way to re-order items without tedious re-entry.

Order News adds a feature to the news administation page that lets an administrator re-order their news items as they like.

Update:

Version 1.0.1 has been released to fix a few typos in the install script. These should be non-critical so updating a working install is not needed.

Version 1.0.2 has been released to allow installs on SMF 1.1.3.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

shadow82x

Very nice mod I have been waiting for a mod like this too :)  
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

dDOTr2

great mod. thanks a lot for coding this.

Azashub

Exactly what I was looking for ... sad it's not support on 1.1 RC2 :(

青山 素子

Sorry, I won't support pre-release versions of the 1.1 branch. I highly encourage you to update SMF as soon as convenient as RC2 had some bad bugs in it.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

SpelingMistakes

Is it possible to upgrade this mod this way

Simply put numbers in some box and than save it – Now when I have 12 news and I want to add another one in the "middle" I must click and save 6 times till I move desired news in the middle.

That is first thing – next is

Is it possible to add another category of news which will be special in a way that those has special order of displaying – like this

I create one news and I want it display every third change of a news – that will "reorder" my first 12 and I will have another special which will show every 3 times news has change. After that news start to show from beginning.

That will work in all occasions – for instance – I have 5 news and my special news will show in 3 place and in 6 etc which etc .....

I hope so I explained how this works and what I am in need for :)
There is a huge difference between living and being alive!

青山 素子

The first item works the way it does because of how news is stored in the database. The data is stored so that the entries are saved in the order they are in the form.

The second one would require a complete overhaul of the news system, and I unfortunately don't have the time right now to code something that big. You are welcome to make a request for it in the mod requests board.

Do note that the news line displays a random entry each time the page is refreshed. The only thing affected by the order of the entries is the news fader.
Motoko-chan

Iron IC

Hello there!

Great mod you made here. It works as it should, but unfortunately I get error messages in admin area  under Maintainance -> Logged errors.

I run version 1.1.2. Any chance for at fix for this problem? That would be great. Thank you!

Regards Iron IC

青山 素子

It would help greatly if you could provide the content of the errors.
Motoko-chan

Iron IC

Okey, here are a few i didn`t delete yet. Currently I have uninstalled it, but I am going to activate it again if I get a solution to the problem. Thanks

8: Undefined index: quick_theme_changer
Fil: /usr/home/web/webx/byggmuskler.no/forum/Themes/default/Errors.template.php (eval?)
Linje: 368

8: Undefined index: news_move_up
Fil: /usr/home/web/x/byggmuskler.no/forum/Themes/default/ManageNews.template.php (eval?)
Linje: 61

8: Undefined index: news_move_down
Fil: /usr/home/web/webx/byggmuskler.no/forum/Themes/default/ManageNews.template.php (eval?)
Linje: 63

8: Undefined index: news_warn_body
Fil: /usr/home/web/webx/byggmuskler.no/forum/Themes/default/ManageNews.template.php (eval?)
Linje: 43

8: Undefined index: news_warn_header
Linje: 41

青山 素子

Do you happen to be using UTF-8? If so, you'll want to copy the contents from Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php to Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php
Motoko-chan

Iron IC

I guess mean copy to modifications.norwegian-utf8.php? It worked! Thank you :)

青山 素子

Glad to hear it worked. If you would like to contribute localized strings for this mod, PM me with the translation and the language file name (I'll forget if you don't) and I'll add them to the next version.
Motoko-chan

OZSlayer

Hi guys,
I get the following text show up at the top of my forums and i can seem to find where it is comming from. I thinki it has something to do with the order news mod.

//Order News $txt['news_move_up'] = 'Move Up'; $txt['news_move_down'] = 'Move Down'; $txt['news_warn_header'] = 'Alert:'; $txt['news_warn_body'] = 'You have changed the order of the news items. You must save for the changes to apply.';

See Forum here http://www.randomas.com/smf/index.php

Thanks OZSlayer

青山 素子

Sometimes mods will break the language file.

Make sure Modifications.english.php has the <?php and the ?> at the beginning and end of the file respectively, and that they each have the whole line to themselves.
Motoko-chan

OZSlayer

Hi, yes it was the >?  The mod had installed it self after the >?

Thanks OZSlayer

kill3r

This is really a great feature. i tried installing this on 1.1.3 but its incompatible. can i edit the package info file or need to wait for any update ?
thanks

TrueSatan

@ kill3r

A quick compatibility update version for you

青山 素子

Please do not post unauthorized copies of the mod without asking permission. I have removed the attachment.

Update: Added a 1.1.3-compatible version to the downloads.
Motoko-chan

kill3r

thanks both of you ppl.

Advertisement: