Discussbot 4.2 beta 3 released 04/19/07

Started by chadness, April 19, 2007, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadness

I didn't know about that value of published.  Thanks, that's handy!

crying

Hi =)

I've got a quote lenght problem with the discussbot. Looks like it always quotes < 700 characters when starting a new discussion about an article. I changed the value many times but  doesn't care.

hxxp:www.nextgpu.com [nonactive]

chadness

I just tried settings of 700, 100, and 1500, and it worked fine every time.  Could you please be a little more specific about exactly what you're doing?  What do you have it set to?

shortyb

I get this error at the bottom of my template and i did add the snippit of php you said too

Database Error: Table 'loade3_joom1.smf_sessions' doesn't exist
then it gives the raw path to my forum/source folder?
line 2005

mickyd2006

I'm loving discussbot I run the discuss bot on auto insert mode using {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} for the places that I don't want a link to appear.
However two of my 3rd party addons aren't loving it :(

Firstly in the Bookmarks extension,
the discuss link shows up in both the descriptions below the urls and on the details page

Secondly in User Home Pages,
I have noticed the discuss link showing up in the footer sections of users pages.

Since I have less than 100 members, it's not so much of a problem for me to go around and manually add {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} to the offending items but for larger sites, I think this needs to be looked into.

Thanks
High Quality Low Cost CMS Installations - Just-Installs.com

SOHK: School Of Hard Knox - Hard Hitting Lessons In Life

I Wonder:

What Exactly Did The Man Who Invented The Drawing Board Go Back To?
Why Are Disasters Always Described As Great?
What Platform Was Windows Designed On?

chadness

Quote from: shortyb on May 06, 2007, 04:06:52 AM
I get this error at the bottom of my template and i did add the snippit of php you said too

Database Error: Table 'loade3_joom1.smf_sessions' doesn't exist
then it gives the raw path to my forum/source folder?
line 2005
Are you running in separate databases?  If so, did you enter the info for your SMF database in the discussbot config?

chadness

Quote from: mickyd2006 on May 06, 2007, 07:58:41 PM
I'm loving discussbot I run the discuss bot on auto insert mode using {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} for the places that I don't want a link to appear.

the discuss link shows up in both the descriptions below the urls and on the details page

I have noticed the discuss link showing up in the footer sections of users pages.

Since I have less than 100 members, it's not so much of a problem for me to go around and manually add {mos_smf_discuss:no_discuss} to the offending items but for larger sites, I think this needs to be looked into.

Thanks

Thanks for the info!  Which bookmarks component are you using?  Do you have it set to not show up in modules?  And last, does it show up in these extensions if the discussbot is set to not show on the front page?

Thanks!

Avinash4

Is there a way to display the discussbot only on a certain content section or category from joomla. I dont want it on all articles, just articles from my newsflash section.
McMaster University's Largest Online Community
http://mac-central.com
Powered by SMF and Mambo

Avinash4

Also, when I click discuss link from one of my previously existing joomla articles, I get: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
Powered by SMF and Mambo

mickyd2006

Quote from: chadness on May 07, 2007, 09:51:54 AM
Quote from: mickyd2006 on May 06, 2007, 07:58:41 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info!  Which bookmarks component are you using?  Do you have it set to not show up in modules?  And last, does it show up in these extensions if the discussbot is set to not show on the front page?

Thanks!

Hey,
I'm using the bookmarks componant from TEG Design By DJesus www.degdesign.ch
And yes I can confrim that is set not to display in modules.

I Wonder:

Avinash4

Quote from: Avinash4 on May 07, 2007, 10:33:47 AM
Also, when I click discuss link from one of my previously existing joomla articles, I get: "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
The URL is http://mysite.com/portal/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=3903.top#top
Powered by SMF and Mambo

chadness

Quote from: mickyd2006 on May 07, 2007, 05:25:20 PM
Hey,
This is due to the bookmark program processing everything as content items.  You can disable this in the config of the bookmarks program.  It's in several areas - you might want to go to each tab of the configuration and search for "bot" on each page.  Set all of those settings to "no", unless you want comments enabled in one of those areas.

chadness

Quote from: Avinash4 on May 07, 2007, 10:29:52 AM
Is there a way to display the discussbot only on a certain content section or category from joomla. I dont want it on all articles, just articles from my newsflash section.
The only way to do that is to turn off the ability to have it automatically display links, and manually put them in.  If you like, you can download the discussbot button to add a button in to your editor to easily do that.

chadness

Quote from: Avinash4 on May 08, 2007, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: Avinash4 on May 07, 2007, 10:33:47 AM
The URL is http://mysite.com/portal/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=3903.top#top
That URL appears to be correct.  Is it similar (same ItemID) to the URL you get from a newly made article?

Do you have separate databases?

Chriss Cohn

Very great work!!! Thank you so much, its exactly what i expected! Again: great Work! Best wishes for your new born child, no you also know how "the wonder of life" feels like.
Back to Topic...
I have still a few suggestions for improvement:

1. When using to Display the Discussion under a Article, and when insert a post via the quick-reply button there should be an option to stay within this Article - not to turn to the Forum after a post.

2. A option to enter width and height of the Avatar-Images for a better styling.
For example: I want to have the Avatars in 100x100 inside the Forum, but only 50x50 in the Discussbot when showing the Discussion under an article.

3. For future releases if you have time for...: Extend the Quick-reply Box a bit to see Smileys and other formation-stuff like a mini-verion of the Built-in BBC from SMF, so then you can (for example) quote some other statement a user replyed before. This is a standart in other Comment-Tools for CMS' and i think together with "Option 1" is described, it will make a good "equilibrium" between a standalone Comment-Fuction and ones which uses the Forum.

4. The Possibility to add a "custom code" after a predefined ammount of comments.
For example: I want to show an Adsense-Banner after every 10 comments.

Regards, Christian

chadness

Quote from: g-c on May 08, 2007, 03:03:03 PM
Very great work!!! Thank you so much, its exactly what i expected! Again: great Work! Best wishes for your new born child, no you also know how "the wonder of life" feels like.
Thanks!  Still in crazy new baby mode, but another 6 months and we should be great.  ;)
Back to Topic...
I have still a few suggestions for improvement:

1. When using to Display the Discussion under a Article, and when insert a post via the quick-reply button there should be an option to stay within this Article - not to turn to the Forum after a post.
I'm not sure if this is doable, as it actually is using the forum to post the message.  I'll have to look at it more closely, though.
2. A option to enter width and height of the Avatar-Images for a better styling.
For example: I want to have the Avatars in 100x100 inside the Forum, but only 50x50 in the Discussbot when showing the Discussion under an article.
Good idea - I was thinking about something like that for my own site.
3. For future releases if you have time for...: Extend the Quick-reply Box a bit to see Smileys and other formation-stuff like a mini-verion of the Built-in BBC from SMF, so then you can (for example) quote some other statement a user replyed before. This is a standart in other Comment-Tools for CMS' and i think together with "Option 1" is described, it will make a good "equilibrium" between a standalone Comment-Fuction and ones which uses the Forum.
If I get to feeling ambitious, that would be a good addition.  This is getting close to being standalone, isn't it?  I never really intended to go this far with this project.  :)

Thanks for the comments!

Chriss Cohn

QuoteI'm not sure if this is doable, as it actually is using the forum to post the message.  I'll have to look at it more closely, though.
Yes, that sounds good... the simple'st way i think would be via a ugly redirect - so right after reply you would short see your reply in the Forum and then it automaticly redirects back to the Article and your comment.

QuoteGood idea - I was thinking about something like that for my own site.
Great to hear!

QuoteThis is getting close to being standalone, isn't it?  I never really intended to go this far with this project.
Yes you are absolutely right, but as the Webmaster you still could decide how "far" in direction to "stand alone" you want go. For me it would be great, because i know this from a different CMS which is using Vbulletin to handle comments like the way your mambot does - and there this is possible!

QuoteStill in crazy new baby mode, but another 6 months and we should be great.
Hehe sounds very interresting, i hope everything will go for you as "planned"

Regards, Christian

mickyd2006

Quote from: chadness on May 08, 2007, 11:18:33 AM
Quote from: mickyd2006 on May 07, 2007, 05:25:20 PM
Hey,
This is due to the bookmark program processing everything as content items.  You can disable this in the config of the bookmarks program.  It's in several areas - you might want to go to each tab of the configuration and search for "bot" on each page.  Set all of those settings to "no", unless you want comments enabled in one of those areas.

Yes, Thats got it! It was the process mos bots option under collumns :)

Thanks Chadness!

I Wonder:

Chriss Cohn

I also think i found a strange bug with when using quotes.
So when somebody within the Forum quotes a comment of someone else, it looks like the following in the comments-view under the article:

Well the Problems with this are the following:
1 - No boxes around the original quote
2 - The link (i marked via arrow) points to: hxxp://www.site.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.msg98#msg98 which is unwrapped-mode.
That is wrong, because it should point to a component \"option=com_smf.... andsoon\" Link, like the discussion-link does - right?. Second is, the \"quote-link\" has no \"rel=nofollow\" tag.

I think a good solution is to cut the link off. So Only some boxes need to be around a quote.
But i think this needs a fast \"hotfix\" because it can make problems with googles duplicate-content.
Regards, Christian

chadness

Quote from: g-c on May 08, 2007, 04:33:21 PM
1 - No boxes around the original quote
That's dependent on your configuration.  On mine, it shows the box.  It may have to do with whether you are using the SMF stylesheets on the rest of your site.  Alternately, you should be able to set up .quote in your stylesheet for your Joomla template.
2 - The link (i marked via arrow) points to: hxxp://www.site.com/forum/index.php?topic=45.msg98#msg98 which is unwrapped-mode.
That is wrong, because it should point to a component \"option=com_smf.... andsoon\" Link, like the discussion-link does - right?. Second is, the \"quote-link\" has no \"rel=nofollow\" tag.

I think a good solution is to cut the link off. So Only some boxes need to be around a quote.
But i think this needs a fast \"hotfix\" because it can make problems with googles duplicate-content.
Hadn't noticed that before.  Good catch!  I don't know how long this will take to fix.  Honestly, I won't even have time to investigate it for a couple of days.  ::)

Advertisement: