News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Conversion Problems

Started by vmpre2, June 22, 2007, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conservationist

Quote from: SleePy on June 27, 2008, 03:57:30 PM
Well you could make the block sizes for how many inserts it is doing at once.
Though if your host is killing them not sure what will stop them from killing it again :|

They're killing what are actually very small processes, and for some reason, I'm not getting warnings, but it looks consistent when I scan over my notes.

The machine we're on is incredibly slow. Based on past use of Linuxen, I'd guess it's a PIII or early PIV but nothing with real power. They've also put quite a few users on it.

We're locked into a years contract and then will reconsider the situation if nothing has changed. I am saddened by it, because this host used to be quite good and painless, where now they have an attitude of indifference toward how long web sites are down, and their solution to everything is "buy dedicated hosting," even for those of us who don't yet have stats meriting that.

SleePy

To long past any guarantees I guess?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Conservationist

Quote from: SleePy on June 27, 2008, 05:18:25 PM
To long past any guarantees I guess?

Well... using a host, you get to know some of the people.

And you end up liking them... even if they may be (in my view) making poor decisions.

So then I'd have to prove to them that their service was basically a failure.

I hold out hope -- they're not dumb or mean people -- I think they just oversold in an effort to make a bit more money. I think I understand. They may fix it (?) in the future.

It has been disappointing, however. The whole thing reeks of a lack of planning, and seeing something good like a webhost go down the path to ruin is never a happy thing.

But, me and this webhost did have some happy years together, so I can't say things are bad. Just quite possibly changing ;)

SleePy

Any luck on this Conservationist?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Conservationist

Yes and no. We switched hosting. The original host had just radically oversold their shared hosting, and those of us who started out paying a higher price back in the "good old days" got a bit of a shock when decrease in the service crept up on us. I was able to convert the forum itself with a far simpler hack: take old Pentium IV PC, install Linux, run conversion there while using our new ISP's SQL. Thank you all for your help.

Advertisement: