News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Gravatar

Started by Daniel15, July 01, 2007, 04:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel15

Link to the mod

Gravatar support for SMF

Introduction
Gravatars are globally recognised avatars. Basically, you upload your avatar to the Gravatar site, and it will automatically appear on all blogs and forums that support Gravatar. Whenever you change your avatar, it will automatically change on all Gravatar-enabled sites.

From the Gravatar site:
What is a gravatar?
A gravatar, or globally recognized avatar, is quite simply an 80×80 pixel avatar image that follows you from weblog to weblog appearing beside your name when you comment on gravatar enabled sites.

How do I use this mod?
Once you install this mod, it will add a few new options to the Attachments and Avatars section of the admin panel:

If the Use Gravatar for all users? option is enabled, Gravatar will be used for all users' avatars, and the SMF avatar system will be disabled. If the option is disabled, the user will have a choice whether to use Gravatar or not:

Support
Support for this mod is given both in my forum (at http://www.daniel15.com/), and in the mod's topic in the SMF Community Forum.

Changelog
0.1 Beta
--------
Initial public release.
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Isaac

Wow, GREAT idea!  I am adding this to all of my forums immediately!  :D

nitsua

it does nothing to the profiles i enabled it and it gives me a blank avatar nothing there man

Daniel15

Quote from: nitsua on July 01, 2007, 02:48:10 PM
it does nothing to the profiles i enabled it and it gives me a blank avatar nothing there man
For this to work, the user needs to have signed up at http://www.gravatar.com/. Have they done so? Also, since it's based off email address, they need to have used the same email address as on the gravatar site.
Go to the Avatars tab of the "Attachments and Avatars" section of the admin panel, and delete the text in the "Default image" input box (so it's blank). Save the changes, and refresh their profile. Then, if they haven't signed up on the Gravatar site and you view their profile, instead of getting a blank image, you'll get the default Gravatar image:

This shows that the mod is working ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

RoarinRow

ohhh, i'll have to try this out   8)

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

xOraclex

Daniel, it still doesn't work.
I've done everything like you said.
It show the default gravatar logo image, but it doesn't show's my gravatar imagem.

ruigato

this feature shoud be default in SMF, automatic just bought gravatar, wordpress.com is already using gravatar in all blogs as an option.

ilias

Thanks for the mod.
It works fine when the default language is english but when I change the language (I have a dutch forum) the text dissapears.
I know this mod isn't translated but I thought the text of the mod would then just bedisplayed in English.

English

Dutch

English

Dutch

I am using SMF 1.1.4 with TinyPortal 0.9.8
I am also using a custom theme. Could this be the problem?

A SMF-newbie

Eleglin

for frenchies :

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.french-utf8.php">
        <operation>
            <search position="after"><![CDATA[?>]]></search>
            <add><![CDATA[
// --- Begin modification - Gravatar ---
$txt['gravatar'] = 'Gravatar';
$txt['gravatar_desc'] = 'Cette option permet d\'utiliser le service <a href="http://www.gravatar.com/">Gravatar</a> (globally recognised avatar).';

// Admin panel settings
$txt['gravatar_all'] = 'Activer Gravatar pour tous les membres?';
$txt['gravatar_all_desc'] = 'Si cette option est activée, Gravatar sera utilisé pour tous les membres du forum, et les paramètres originaux (dans la section du profil intitulée <i>Informations sur le profil utilisateur</i>) seront désactivés.<br />Si cette option est désactivée, les membres pourront choisir d\'utiliser (ou non) le service Gravatar';

$txt['gravatar_default'] = 'Image par défaut';
$txt['gravatar_default_desc'] = 'Cette image sera utilisée quand les membres n\'ont pas paramétré de gravatars, or si les dimensions de ce dernier sont supérieures à celles autorisées (actuellement ' . $GLOBALS['modSettings']['gravatar_rating'] . ').<br /> Laisser le champ vide pour utiliser l\'image par défaut de gravatar, ou régler sur <b>' . $GLOBALS['modSettings']['avatar_url'] . '/blank.gif</b> pour ne rien voir.';
$txt['gravatar_default_reset'] = 'Revenir à l\'image par défaut';

$txt['gravatar_rating'] = 'Classification maximale';
$txt['gravatar_rating_desc'] = 'Chaque avatar uploadé sur le service gravatar est classé suivant une norme que l\'on appelle <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system">MPAA-style</a> qui permet de définir à partir de quel âge une image peut-être vu par un enfant. ce paramètre permet de définir quelle est la plus haute classe que vous autorisez sur les forums.';
// --- End modification ---
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>
No support by PM or Mail.

markemark

I've taken a lot of time to update the Gravatar mod to support SMF 2.0. Finally got it working.

Since there's already a version of this mod for SMF 1.0 in the mod repository I won't be adding this one for SMF 2.0 because Daniel will probably get around to updating his copy eventually, or snagging a copy of my tweaks - either way is fine with me.

But people using SMF 2.0 can get a copy of the mod from this page:

[admin edit - link removed because it a) violates the SMF license and b) illegaly distributes someone else' copyrighted code/mod. Mods can only be distributed by someone else if the author/license for that mod allows it.]

It should work for you Ok - same as Gravatar for SMF 1.x, except this one ONLY works for SMF 2.0, so don't try to use it on SMF 1.0

[ Site note here: I'll soon be posting a "SMF 2.0 to Wordpress" user integration bridge since there isn't anything available that works with SMF 2.0. It will support Wordpress 2.7.x ]

NobbZ

german users can use this in Themes/default/languages/Modifications.german-utf8.php

// --- Begin modification - Gravatar ---
$txt['gravatar'] = 'Gravatar';
$txt['gravatar_desc'] = 'Dieses wird auf den <a href="http://www.gravatar.com/">Gravatar-Service</a> zurück greifen (Global erkannte Avatare).';

// Admin panel settings
$txt['gravatar_all'] = 'Nutze Gravatare für alle User?';
$txt['gravatar_all_desc'] = 'Wenn diese option aktiviert ist, wird Gravatar für alle Nutzer des Forums verwendet und die Avatareinstellungen (unter <i>Forum Profil Informationen</i> im Userprofil) werden deaktiviert.<br />Wenn die Option deaktiviert ist, können die User im Profil selbst wählen ob sie Gravatar nutzen wollen oder einen eigenen Avatar.';

$txt['gravatar_default'] = 'Standard Bild';
$txt['gravatar_default_desc'] = 'Das Standard Bild wird verwendet wenn der User keinen Gravatar besitzt oder die Altersfreigabe nicht der geforderten entpsricht (aktuell: ' . $GLOBALS['modSettings']['gravatar_rating'] . ').<br />Lasse das Feld leer um das Standard-Gravatar-Bild zu sehen, oder setze es auf <b>' . $GLOBALS['modSettings']['avatar_url'] . '/blank.gif</b> um nichts anzuzeigen';
$txt['gravatar_default_reset'] = 'Auf lehres Bild zurücksetzen';

$txt['gravatar_rating'] = 'Maximale Altersfreigabe';
$txt['gravatar_rating_desc'] = 'Jeder Avatar der auf den Gravatar-Service geladen wird erhält eine Altersfreigabe nach <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system">MPAA</a>. Diese Einstellung ermöglicht es Dir das höchste Rating das für Deine Site erlaubt ist zu spezifizieren.';
// --- End modification ---

It is just a rough translation but helps understanding the otherwise unlabeled options :-)

Dudelsack

Quote from: markemark on January 09, 2009, 03:55:44 PM
I've taken a lot of time to update the Gravatar mod to support SMF 2.0. Finally got it working.

Since there's already a version of this mod for SMF 1.0 in the mod repository I won't be adding this one for SMF 2.0 because Daniel will probably get around to updating his copy eventually, or snagging a copy of my tweaks - either way is fine with me.

But people using SMF 2.0 can get a copy of the mod from this page:

http://wpsecurity.net/gravatars-for-simple-machines-forum-smf-20/

It should work for you Ok - same as Gravatar for SMF 1.x, except this one ONLY works for SMF 2.0, so don't try to use it on SMF 1.0

[ Site note here: I'll soon be posting a "SMF 2.0 to Wordpress" user integration bridge since there isn't anything available that works with SMF 2.0. It will support Wordpress 2.7.x ]
that file isn't working for me, it say's that the archive is broken, can you re-upload it?
thanks!
sorry for my bad english

MF30

marmotprincess

Is this going to be updated for 2.0? I tried to download the updated version by markemark and that link's not working.

dnshare

yes please is there an alternative for this in SMF 2.0?

BBDK

Really need this to work in version 2.0.7 ..  :-\

Advertisement: