News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF looks like Proboards!

Started by BMW-Guy, October 19, 2004, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMW-Guy

I just started to notice this, but SMF looks suspiciously like Proboards boards (cheapy, free-hosted, cgi bulliten boards that have no value). The icons are identical, the dialog boxes are identical................even the News Fader gadget is identical. What's up with that? :o :o

I mean, feature-wise, I think SMF is one of the best out there, but it almost looks like you guys were trying to copy the Proboards look. :)
I get paid to drive Porsches!

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of
doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations.
Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of
propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.
~ (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus; Wittgenstein)

ryanbsoftware

actually i think yabbse was out before proboards and smf just keeps the yabbse type appearance. ;)

proboards copied yabbse. :o

Alexandre P.

I think Proboards offers free YaBB forum hosting.
Aucun support par M.P., courriel ou messagerie instantanée / No support by P.M., email or I.M.

Kirby

No no no, see YaBB was made by a group of developers, and one of them who was named Patrick left the team and used the code to make Proboards. YaBB SE, SMFs predecessor was a PHP & MySQL remake of YaBB, and it was then revamped to make SMF. Now if you seriously think SMF is just like Proboards, you are wrong. With Proboards, the only thing you could really do is modify some basic settings and be trapped in the slowness of their servers. YaBB is MUCH better, and SMF is better than them all. With SMF, you can modify almost every freaking aspect just by using templates. I even made a mimic IPB template (which I'm still working on) for a forum, and they're liking it. When everyone downloads SMF, their first impression is "omg its proboards it sucks", but thats because they never took the time to see its true powers. SMF is just as proffesional as any other forum software out there, and IMO it is by far the most customizable and easiest to use.

[Unknown]

Sigh.  I actually rewrote the whole newsfader javascript to work in other browsers - it's 100% my code, and proboards does not use it.  It just looks similar, because it's a similar feature.

-[Unknown]

Meriadoc

Quote from: [Unknown] on October 20, 2004, 12:38:29 AM
Sigh. I actually rewrote the whole newsfader javascript to work in other browsers - it's 100% my code, and proboards does not use it. It just looks similar, because it's a similar feature.

-[Unknown]
he also rewrote a huge and vast portion of the forum itself... :P
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

scottb

Proboards is terrible, I had a forum there and it got hacked so I switched to YaBBSE and now use SMF which is loads better.

BMW-Guy

Okay, I understand. It doesn't bug me or anything, I was just curious. :)

Oh, and like who has ever had a Proboards board that didn't ever get hacked? ;)

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of
doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations.
Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of
propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.

Trekkie101

I just cant stand the slowness of proboard boards it must be there server loads and then there are horribles ads, fair enough you control the look but thats no good having a black forum and having a green banner it will get noticed.

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: BMW-Guy on October 20, 2004, 05:51:43 AM
Okay, I understand. It doesn't bug me or anything, I was just curious. :)

Oh, and like who has ever had a Proboards board that didn't ever get hacked? ;)

proboard is unhackale, its that the admin account passwords get craked cause people use weak passwords, so they say, i never had that problem when I used proboard though they locked me out of my admin account, they changed my password via the database.

Kirby

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: Kirby on October 20, 2004, 09:06:06 PM
Nothing is "unhackable" >_>

like i said, thats only what they say. ;)

Trekkie101

I dont like proboards, not a fan of them, id rather set up a yabb forum, that brings me onto another topic, do you think free smf hosting like invisionfree, do you think it would make money, i was thinking about this and how much it would cost to start and maintain, plus the smf script would need to be edited for it to work right. Its a good idea i think.

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: Trekkie101 on October 21, 2004, 05:44:47 AM
I dont like proboards, not a fan of them, id rather set up a yabb forum, that brings me onto another topic, do you think free smf hosting like invisionfree, do you think it would make money, i was thinking about this and how much it would cost to start and maintain, plus the smf script would need to be edited for it to work right. Its a good idea i think.

we willprovide it, me and a friend, compleatly free of charge even, people can get paid smf hosting from Lewis Media if they want paid hosting but they get alot for free, no ads, we keepd smf compleatly unmodified exept that we want to modify the copyright to add a tage line at the end thats it rather then specifiying in in the tempklate cause all themplates pull the copyright apparently from another file and thats where we want to put it so it applies to any templae thats made to show the copyright, wich is all I know of since it's illgall to not show it.  well we want to modiffy it in the other file or whatever we need to get permissin still and be told where that is. ;)

Ben_S

If you keep it completly unmodified, then you are going about it totally wrongly, are you going to duplicate every single file for every single install?

Good luck keeping hundreds of boards upto date if thats what your planning on doing.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

ryanbsoftware

we won't have to keep them up to date that is up to the owners, we give them ftp access. ;)  and what would we need to modify since you are an "expert" on this?

Ben_S

I was under the impression you wanted to offer something like proboards or boardnation, you may as well just let them install it themselves if you are doing it like this.

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: Ben_S on October 21, 2004, 11:10:20 AM
I was under the impression you wanted to offer something like proboards or boardnation, you may as well just let them install it themselves if you are doing it like this.

so what u are saying is that we should just provide hosting not smf hosting but put in the tos that you can only install an smf board?

Peter Duggan

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 11:13:03 AM
so what u are saying is that we should just provide hosting not smf hosting but put in the tos that you can only install an smf board?

Look, if you need to ask this sort of stuff...

Quote from: Peter Duggan on October 21, 2004, 11:05:03 AM
My advice is simply to leave hosting to folk who know what they're doing and try to target some more suitable projects for yourselves! ::)

Ben_S

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 11:13:03 AMso what u are saying is that we should just provide hosting not smf hosting but put in the tos that you can only install an smf board?

If you allow ftp are you going to disable the mail() function, if not where do I sign up, I have a few thousand spam emails to deliver.

ryanbsoftware

umm obviouslt you seem to think that we overlooked that???  well you are wrong. ;)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 11:27:35 AM
umm obviouslt you seem to think that we overlooked that???  well you are wrong. ;)

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 10:56:41 AM
we keepd smf compleatly unmodified

Hoisted with your own petard!

Trekkie101

His idea is cool, i think he is brave for taking this on, good luck.

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: Trekkie101 on October 21, 2004, 01:28:55 PM

tnaks, i think they are affiliated with another free smf host and are afraid of competition, lol.  :D

BMW-Guy

LOL, ryan, you have a looooooooooooooooooooong way to go before you reach that point!  :D :D

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: BMW-Guy on October 21, 2004, 01:34:42 PM
LOL, ryan, you have a looooooooooooooooooooong way to go before you reach that point!  :D :D

haven't yo ever heard of a joke, lol.  :D

Trekkie101

LOL @ Ryan, well just show how well you can dom and come on folks support him, he helping expand SMF.

BMW-Guy

If he really pulls this off, more power to him, and I'll recomend people to his site, but like I said, he has a very long, long way to go before he ever reaches that point.  ;)

Trekkie101

An install script would be great, i have one for YaBBSE which you upload 2 files and run the script, very cool, but a smf one would be the best script on the net.

Ben_S

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 01:30:05 PM
Quote from: Trekkie101 on October 21, 2004, 01:28:55 PM

tnaks, i think they are affiliated with another free smf host and are afraid of competition, lol. :D

Or he is being realistic and doesn't think that you can safely provide what you want to with any longevity and therfeore risk loosing the data of your users boards.

Trekkie101

Nothings totaly safe its part of the fun taking the risk, plus i want to do this one day when i learn php properly.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: ryanbsoftware on October 21, 2004, 01:30:05 PM
tnaks, i think they are affiliated with another free smf host and are afraid of competition, lol. 

Look, if I'm afraid of anything here, it's what's likely to happen to you and your customers. I'm offering you impartial advice based, like Ben's, on years of experience and a fair grasp of the issues involved. So please don't suggest (even as a joke) that we're trying to 'compete' with you because, quite frankly, we've both got more sense. Now, of course you know better because you're so young and full of yourself, but we've seen countless hosting wannabe lemmings and 'programmers' here before and I'm afraid the blueprint fits you like a glove!

Trekkie101

morph

And don't forget allowing the owners of the boards to see the database password and so forth wouldn't be the smartest idea. But man you really need to go through and fix the 534212424547564 typing errors in that paragraph.. or blob of letters put together ;)

Coming soon!

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: morph on October 21, 2004, 06:06:01 PM
And don't forget allowing the owners of the boards to see the database password and so forth wouldn't be the smartest idea. But man you really need to go through and fix the 534212424547564 typing errors in that paragraph.. or blob of letters put together ;)

who cares if they see the db password, each board will have its own db and they won't know the url to phpmyadmin. :P

Erik Mabry

Wow, some people definately don't like Proboards....

I like them for many reasons.

But lets get some things straight;
It's definately not cheaply made, and/or crappy.
It's highly customizable, you jsut look at the main stuff, there are TONS of scripts and codes to make it exactly what you want.
Its not slow at all... That's ludacris (spelling?)
A LOT of Proboards have NEVER been hacked...
The maker of the forum is Patrick Clinger, whom made it many years ago, and didn't copy off of anything...

So basically everything that has been said about it is either an opinion, or false... Don't lie to people, they might actually beleive you.

morph

How do we know that you're not lying?

Its the internet, what do you expect.

Coming soon!

† ÐëepÇuT¹ †

Proboards suck. SMF is a god compared to Broboards.

Personal Website
x3Generation - gaming
graphics and anime.

Favorite Forums
> SimpleMachines Forum
> GamerzPlanet Forums

Ben_S

Prehaps this topic should be locked.

Theres nothing wrong with proboards, they provide a sevice and they provide it well, they are still here after all.

[Unknown]

Although I happen to know for a fact that much of proboards... let's use the words... "coincided strongly" with YaBB because of his previous affiliation.  Since then, it has undergone many changes, and is definiately a separate script by now....

And also... tons of VBScripts doesn't mean didley or that it's not slow.... :P.

I'm locking this... not really fruitful for some person to come by and accuse the team members and other people posting in this topic of lying when they are, for the most part, telling the truth - even if it is biassed truth.  I suggest you read your own words and play devil's advocate.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: