cross posting tool

Started by overhaul, October 21, 2004, 10:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overhaul

How can I make a post as admin and have it show up in all the boards ?      I am trying to do with without having to type up teh same post over and over . 

thanks!

codenaught

This is currently not possible. Usually this feature is referred as a global post or announcement. I think a lot of us would like this feaure or at least see a mod for it. It has been requested many times in the features request forum.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

overhaul

that's too bad...  thank you.

Amacythe

In the meantime, you can use the NEWS function and turn the NEWS on.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Amacythe on October 23, 2004, 04:40:09 PM

* Peter Duggan thanks Amacythe for an interesting idea!

To display the news as 'forum rules' within every topic:

Search sometheme/Display.template.php for:

// Is this topic also a poll?

And add before:

// Show news as 'forum rules'.
echo '
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%" class="bordercolor">
<tr><td style="padding: 1px 1px 0 1px;">
<table width="100%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<tr><td class="windowbg">
<table width="100%" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" style="table-layout: fixed;">
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="16%" rowspan="2" style="overflow: hidden;">
<b>Blah (Forum Rules?)</b>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" class="windowbg" width="85%">
', $context['random_news_line'], '
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td></tr>
</table>
</td></tr>
<tr><td style="padding: 0 0 1px 0;">
</table>
<br />';

To display the news as 'forum rules' within every message index:

Search sometheme/MessageIndex.template.php for:

if (!empty($options['show_board_desc']) && $context['description'] != '')

And add the same new code before.

NB While these hacks will still work if you disable news from your Current Theme's Settings (so obviating the need to hack any more templates to remove the normal news display), you should only post one news item at a time if you're using it as a substitute for forum-wide stickies!

[Unknown]

Quote from: akabugeyes on October 23, 2004, 03:36:59 PM
This is currently not possible. Usually this feature is referred as a global post or announcement. I think a lot of us would like this feaure or at least see a mod for it. It has been requested many times in the features request forum.

Not as many or as often as you imply here, I'm sorry to tell you, although it has been requested by some.

-[Unknown]

Amacythe

Quote from: Peter Duggan on October 23, 2004, 06:06:08 PM
Quote from: Amacythe on October 23, 2004, 04:40:09 PM

* Peter Duggan thanks Amacythe for an interesting idea!

Glad you like it... now to split it off from the regular news... um, News1 and News2?

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Amacythe on October 24, 2004, 11:14:43 AM
Glad you like it... now to split it off from the regular news... um, News1 and News2?

So you could do:

', $context['news_lines'][0], '

(Where the number in brackets selects the news item identified by the relevant array key)

But you'd need to do some more fiddling to stop that item being displayed as part of the 'random' news, and might be quicker just to hack the templates to select single separate news items for the normal news display, message index and/or topic pages.

Just started a 'Tips and Tricks' topic on this, however, so I'm copying this response to that and hope we can continue the discussion there.

Peter Duggan

This topic effectively superseded by this one, so locked to avoid confusion/further duplication. :)

Advertisement: