News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Machines News Post Module for Mambo

Started by booger, November 04, 2004, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booger

Link to Mod

News post module for Mambo 4.5.1a.

This pulls the set number of posts from the desired forum an inserts it into the module.  Parameters are set through the Mambo administration.

UPDATED:  File has been updated to fix a bug  to make it xhtml compliant.

For those that are unaware the bottom file is the latest version as I did not rename it to reflect the update.
"You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give."  -Winston Churchill
www.churchministriesonline.com

lucdb

Nice mod.

Is it possible to see the "recent messages" or change the mod for it

booger

You mean as in the most recent posts made on the board?  If so I am working on that one and it should be finished today.
"You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give."  -Winston Churchill

booger

For those of you that may not be reading the top post, this module has been update.  Please read the first post for details.

booger

In case anyone is unaware, I have created a how-to on the use of this module in Mambo.  You can view it here [nofollow]

CartDestr

¿Is possible use the same userlist in mambo and in SMF?
I have a installation of SMF, and I want to use a CMS, and Mambo is one of the options but, i don't know if is possible use the same userlist or is absolutely necessary what the users do registration in the 2 sites (forum and web)...
Sorry for my bad English, but I'm Spanish.

booger

tinatoth

it tells me the package file is corrupt.

nevermind, i worked it out. You could have said however that this was a MAMBO mod, not an smf mod. It needs to be installed in mambo, not smf.

Also, its not very clear where the

< ?php require("/../../smf/SSI.php"); ?>

code is supposed to go. Im not sure what "above the first html tag" means. On top of the whole document? Before the <html> tag? or right after it, where the actual html begins?

Nevermind though, cos I tried all options, and in every case i would have the code imprinted on top of my page as text, however the module worked. And now i removed that code completely, and the module works!

so whaddyaknow!!!

buf

I use this module before, then stopped using it because of some minor details.
The name "forumnews" reminds me of a set of php-nuke modules that make all the difference in a community site, and I thought that maybe it's possible to expand booger's work into a full featured component.
Let see if I can explain myself...

First, topics on the forum would be marked as "news", just like they're marked as "sticky" or "announcement".
Then the ssi_boardnews function would be modified to retrieve the last X topics that were marked as "news" from ANY board (not a specified board).
There would also have to be a tag or bbcode to split the post text into Intro and Body. Something like a [readmore] tag. The component (or modified ssi function) would retrieve the post text just until that tag, instead of automatically cutting the text based on number of characters (this sometimes causes broken tags).
As added value, an image would be associated with the news item (on the component) based on which board the topic was in. If the topic (marked "news") was in board "Money Talks", a dollar bill picture would show up on the top right of the news item (this is just an example).

I think that sums it up. We could probably add some more things, like an Archive section (which showed a list of topic titles separated by start date/month) and a Categories section (which would show a list of topic titles separated by the board they're in).

Is there any interest in doing this?
CMS-PT.com - Comunidade de Webmasters e Admins

booger

buf

Good idea, yes. But who's going to turn it into a reality?
It's a little too much for me to do. Let's hope someone picks this up ;)
CMS-PT.com - Comunidade de Webmasters e Admins

Advertisement: