News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

NoFollow ALL Links

Started by karlbenson, October 14, 2007, 04:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

Link to Mod

NoFollow All Links v1.0
By Karl Benson

Introduction
A modification to FORCE a rel="nofollow" on ALL links in posts.

rel="nofollow" is added to all url and/or iurl bbcode links (including internal links) and will mean that the links do not count towards backlinks or towards anyones pagerank.
It will also affect whether search engines follow the links.

The only search engine that really takes account of the rel="nofollow" attribute is Google.
For more information see the Wikipedia NoFollow Article

Alternatively see my [nofollow][/nofollow] BBCode mod to create links with a nofollow attribute.

Features
o Adds rel="nofollow" to both types of url tags
- [iurl][/iurl]
- [url][/url]
o Example
<a href="http://www.simplemachines.org" rel="nofollow">SimpleMachines.org</a>

Installation
No manual edits should be required. This modification makes 4 alterations to the sources/subs.php file only.

This mod will work for both SMF 1.1.x versions
and SMF 2.0.x versions (the beta of which is currently available to Charter Members).

Support
Please use the modification thread for support with this modification.
(Please don't ask me to do the edits for you)

Changelog
1.0 - 3rd October 2007
o Initial Release per request

goranbaxy

I have some partners on my site (in footer) and I would like to have news on the site to be "no follow" free, as my partners wouldn't like to have no follow links.
So my question is will this mode change just posts or whale forum links?

Dragooon

Since it only Modifies BBC Tags, I don't believe so.
If you have a manual HTML Link, It should not affect it.

goranbaxy

Great mod it does what I was expecting from it!

karlbenson

Indeed, this mod will ONLY affect bbcoded links.

Bogdan

It is possible to make some modification to this mod, because i don't want to have no follow on my internal links.
Submit links, articles and business details to Web directory .
Submit free Press Releases and promote your business |  Have fun with Flash games | Stop searching for Cheap Hotels

karlbenson

I don't think it would matter.

Since all of your internal links will be found anyway via board index, topic index, recent posts etc etc.
And since internal links don't count towards backlinks, pagerank or seo I don't think it would matter.

Bogdan

Some Seo experts disagree. Read here http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors at "Link Popularity within the Site's Internal Link Structure".
And i know one big forum that has no follow on external links and follow on internal links.

And google show in webmaster tools the pages with internal links. So.. i believe that it is something important.
Submit links, articles and business details to Web directory .
Submit free Press Releases and promote your business |  Have fun with Flash games | Stop searching for Cheap Hotels

Eleglin

Quote from: Bogdan on December 06, 2007, 05:18:47 AM
It is possible to make some modification to this mod, because i don't want to have no follow on my internal links.
Also, I think it could be a good feature if you could have the choice : to have nofollow on all links or on external links only.
keep the good work, Karl ! :)
No support by PM or Mail.

karlbenson

I have reuploaded this mod and screenshots for it.

I am in the process of doing it for ALL my other mods aswell.  Please bear with me.

rumfa

One quetion. Is this mod automatiacally adding the nofoloow or is it still only when specified with the bbcode?

karlbenson

Whenever [iurl][/iurl] or [url][/url] bbcode  is used. When it is converted to html, it will add a rel="nofollow" tag.

Asciicode

Just a quick notice to everyone, if you have a problem upgrading to SMF 1.1.11 from 1.1.10, you'll get the    ./Sources/Subs.php failed message.  Hope this helps anyone who likes this mod.

I don't know if there's a similar mod.

PSPguru

Hello everyone,
Do you have any idea if this mod "nofollow links"  still works for the latest version of SMF. Any reply will be much appreciated.
thank you

johnkorner01

i use this code in site hxxp:moviewatchonline.pro [nonactive]

tclane

I don't know a lot about HTML but lets say I wanted to use followed anchor text in a post, how would I do it?

Advertisement: