Started by JMV290, November 04, 2007, 07:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMV290

Link to Mod

Anonymous Board Modification
Version 0.3

Originally written by:  Michael Miller
Updated for 1.1.4 by Kindred

This mod allows you to set up anonymous boards. 
Anonymous boards change the poster's information so that the only record is their IP address at time of posting.

To setup a board as an anonymous board:
Admin -> Manage Boards -> modify
Then click the appropriate check box

Once that is done by default all posters to that board will be anonymous. 
However it will not retroactively change any posts nor will it change posts that are moved into that board.

On a per post basis a poster can choose to post non-anonymously by checking the check box that is displayed on the post screen.
This check box only appears on the editor screen so anyone using quick reply won't be able to unanon themselves.

Any posts moved out of an anonymous board will still remain anonymous.

note: Due to changes in how 1.1.4 code, I am unsure if this will run on any previous version...  (you should have 1.1.4 anyway)

rumfa

Wow...It is naaais :D
Many guys will be trilled to have this mod.
Thanks man

allumius

is posible the "nick" for this anonymous board not "ANONYMOUS" and for example "COLECTIVE POSTER" for example

Sorry for my very bad english

Kindred

Actually, yes...

in Sources/Post.php, the mod added these lines of code

// Destroy the identifing user data
$user_info['username'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['name'] = 'Anonymous';
$user_info['email'] = '';
$user_info['avatar'] = array();
$ID_MEMBER = 0;

You can change the text to anything you like...

Actually, on further review (someone had asked for this), you could assign a specific UserID, email, and/or avatar to the "anonymous poster"

I think, for version 1, I will add an admin interface that allows the admin to define these values. (that won't happen until after December, though)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Stargater59

Any way to get rid of the 'Guest' under the username?

Kindred

The "Guest" is dynamically written to the screen by the system... because the user is ID=0

So, if you created an actual anonymous user, and used the code above to assign the post to that user, it would not show up as guest.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Stargater59

Ah, ok.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what this mod could be used for. But.. it's kinda cool!

choloman05

Nice. Haven't used it yet, but I will. I know there were a few of us looking for this to be made. Thanks a ton Kindred.

rumfa

This feature was really hot on the forum...but it seems many aren't even informed.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

h4ni

dknife

Just an addon to this. I found that this mod was fairly useless if people had signatures, since it would post those as well. So if you install the SignatureSettings mod, then change the following in Display.php, it removes the signatures when posting in any anonymous boards:

// Are we showing signatures?
if ($context['anonymousBoard'])
$context['signature_enabled'] = FALSE;
else
$context['signature_enabled'] = substr($modSettings['signature_settings'], 0, 1) == 1;

Kindred

hmmm... nope.

It must have been an interaction between the mods that required this for you in the first place.
I have a signature on my forum...  I posted anonymously, and no signature was recorded.
Слaва
Украинi

dknife

Yeah was thinking about this last night and realized it was impossible for that to happen from your mod. Found it was a change I had made caused it. Works flawlessly, great mod and thankyou.

Adi.

Thank you very much for this mods.

I created a board for counseling about bad habit and this mod really helps our users to be open because their user ids is hidden.  ;)

2pac

Darkness_

Kindred

There was a hardware failure of the SMF servers which apparently caused attachments and mods to become corrupt.

I have uploaded a fresh copy of 0.3b, which appears to work now.
Слaва
Украинi

Antechinus

We like the idea of this mod but are concerned about the potential for abuse. If anyone uses the anonymity to attack or threaten someone we want to be able to nail them. Yes, we have reason to think this is a valid concern.

Does this mod allow the admins to see the identity of posters on the anonymous boards?

If not, is there a mod available which does allow this or can this one be altered to provide this facility?

Thanks.

Kindred

This mod still tracks the IP address of the posters.
So Admins can check the IP address and list the posts from that IP, including posts from the user who uses it...

but no...  there is no functionality in this mod to hide the name from users and leave it exposed to Admins (and no, I do not plan not ever expand it to do so)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: