News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Google Member Map

Started by Spuds, December 12, 2007, 01:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigmartyr

Update: whatever issue I was having is gone.  I was experiencing the issue on my pre-production website I was using to make changes and test before applying them to my public site.  When the databse was applied to the public site, it was working there without issues.  The only thing I can think of, was the Pre-prod map API hadn't propagated yet and it wasn't recognizing the site?

@ lc6 - I am using a curve based theme for SMF 2.0 RC2, and it uses the default theme files.  I only have to make a small change to shrink the map size in profiles so there wasn't a scroll bar, but otherwise I made no specific theme changes, it just worked.

Mick.

Quote from: Stigmartyr on February 01, 2010, 06:37:55 PM
@ lc6 - I am using a curve based theme for SMF 2.0 RC2, and it uses the default theme files.  I only have to make a small change to shrink the map size in profiles so there wasn't a scroll bar, but otherwise I made no specific theme changes, it just worked.

Did you get it to work in the edit side in profiles? 

lc62003

No..as of yet.  The truth is I haven't had the opportunity to pursue it over the past couple of days.  But I think I understand what you guys are saying....and I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!   :)

Stigmartyr

Quote from: BlueDevil on February 01, 2010, 07:18:23 PM

If you mean, can members edit/place a pin from forum profile, then yes :)

Mick.

Quote from: Stigmartyr on February 02, 2010, 05:35:36 AM

Thats where im stuck.   Do you mind sharing after what string of codes you placed it?

M*I*B

... brandnew installed SMF 2.0 RC2 and directly after that the MapMod ...

It realy don't work. Ok, the Map is there and also the Menuentry, but no entry for the User in both the standard themes and also no entrys on the Map himselfe. It can't work. The newer SMF have'nt the Profile.template.php where much code must be in...

That's the fact at my side ever...

WriteYaa...

Micha

Mick.

Quote from: M*I*B on February 02, 2010, 11:47:25 AM
... brandnew installed SMF 2.0 RC2 and directly after that the MapMod ...

It realy don't work. Ok, the Map is there and also the Menuentry, but no entry for the User in both the standard themes and also no entrys on the Map himselfe.

That's the fact at my side ever...

The map is not compatible with RC2 yet per developer.  ......but,thats what we're discussing on here on how to make it work.

lc62003

Worked on this some last night.  The best I can get is a blank area where the map should be in the profile, but no map and no icons.   :-\  Anyone have ideas?   :)  FWIW I can follow what the code is doing no prob, but I'm no coder either.    :-\ ;D

M*I*B

Quote from: BlueDevil on February 02, 2010, 11:51:42 AM
The map is not compatible with RC2 yet per developer.  ......but,thats what we're discussing on here on how to make it work.
Yep, I know but I wonder that some folkz obviously/allegedly have a Profile.template.php thatrealy not exist in a new installation ::)
This thread now have 100 of 100 entrys and I follow up this thread since over a year but it looks like that nobody realy have an idea or (much better) a patched MOD for the RC1/RC2. It also looks like that the original developer have no more time/interest to work on the MOD.
At the Moment I have two SMF2 running productive and both realy need this great MOD but I don't see a light at the end of the dark tunnel...
WriteYaa...

Micha

Stigmartyr

Quote from: BlueDevil on February 02, 2010, 11:20:19 AM

Thats where im stuck.   Do you mind sharing after what string of codes you placed it?

I followed the directions for making this work with RC2 by using the edits/code shown in this post: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=210708.msg2363078#msg2363078

Bear in mind though, that I am using a curved based theme, which has minimal custom theme files, maybe some similar edits would be required for your own theme, I don't know.

I found that when I copied the code using IE or Chrome that for some reason, the code was not getting copied over properly, it must be really sensitive to specific line breaks or spaces, I don't know, but I tried copying the code using my Opera browser, and it copied it as it was written, without compressing all the code together.  When I did the edits using Opera the code got pasted clean, and it started working just fine.

Where you find an edit in Themes/default you will want to make sure that your custom theme does or does not have a similar file, as you may want to edit those files just as you would for default.

Mick.

Quote from: Stigmartyr on February 02, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
Quote from: BlueDevil on February 02, 2010, 11:20:19 AM

I followed the directions for making this work with RC2 by using the edits/code shown in this post: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=210708.msg2363078#msg2363078

Bear in mind though, that I am using a curved based theme, which has minimal custom theme files, maybe some similar edits would be required for your own theme, I don't know.

I found that when I copied the code using IE or Chrome that for some reason, the code was not getting copied over properly, it must be really sensitive to specific line breaks or spaces, I don't know, but I tried copying the code using my Opera browser, and it copied it as it was written, without compressing all the code together.  When I did the edits using Opera the code got pasted clean, and it started working just fine.

Where you find an edit in Themes/default you will want to make sure that your custom theme does or does not have a similar file, as you may want to edit those files just as you would for default.

Cool, thanx.   My custom theme doent have a profile.template so im good there.  It uses it from default.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: BlueDevil on February 02, 2010, 10:40:28 PM

Cool, thanx.   My custom theme doent have a profile.template so im good there.  It uses it from default.

Any luck getting it going?

HorTs

I have installed with the code on page 52 (i think) and the map will not show in the user profile, just a big gap.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: HorTs on February 04, 2010, 06:55:11 AM
I have installed with the code on page 52 (i think) and the map will not show in the user profile, just a big gap.

Couple things you may want to double check:

1) Did you clear the file cache?

2) Did it extract all the files like it should have?  Also if you're using a custom theme, that theme needs to be edited also.

I sometimes notice that package manager doesn't extract all the files consistently, but might just be me.

HorTs

Do you mean the cache on my local PC?

Stigmartyr

Quote from: HorTs on February 04, 2010, 07:01:24 AM
Do you mean the cache on my local PC?

Nope - assuming you're running SMF 2 theres a file cache under Admin > Maintenance

There should be a button or link to delete the site's cache.

HorTs

I have cleared cache but no luck. Shame, so near yet so far.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: HorTs on February 04, 2010, 07:13:13 AM
I have cleared cache but no luck. Shame, so near yet so far.

And you also checked to see that the files were extracted as they should have been.  I usually go over the mod using the package parser to see what theme edits are done, and if it should be copying files to default/Themes/ then I'll make sure they all got extracted and if my custom theme has a similar file to default I'll make sure it's been edited too.

Also very important for me: when I copied the code from pg. 52 with IE8 or Chrome I notice the code copied to my buffer was all squeezed together.  I had to copy it using Opera browser.

lc62003

This may be the wrong place to ask this question.  It's mainly intended to inquire of another way of approaching the issue....

But would it be possible to place some code in a php block for those who use portals (like Simple Portal), and have it visible only in the profile?   :)  Then the editing map would appear within the block, and no editing required in the forum files.  Maybe?   :)

shaiss

Hopefully this doesn't get buried.
I've setup the mod and everything works except the admin side.  On the Features and options there is no tab for the member map, theres a space for it, but its blank.
If you manage to get to the settings the text boxes are there, but the lables are blank.

I've run the tough the parse for 1.1.11 manual setup and verified everything, any ideas?
-Shai
If you ride on two wheels you need to ocmoto.com!

Advertisement: