News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

reCAPTCHA for SMF

Started by 青山 素子, December 28, 2007, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

id820

Quote from: id820 on November 17, 2009, 12:09:06 PM
hey great mod, but i cant see the mod options on adm pannel, im using a custom theme, called loner, i tried uploading the defualt/language/modifications to the loner languages folder but still not working, can anyone help me please? thanks

nvm, fixed i just erased teh cache

CrankyOldguy

Folks, the reCaptcha mod is no longer a deterrent to the spambot...

3 different forums that I'm on have just recently had spambots register.  All 3 forums had reCaptcha installed.  When I googled a string in the bot's signature line, I saw 50,000 similar posts yesterday.  Today that same search yields 53,000 posts.

It's not just SMF it's cracked, I'm seeing it on every forum package (phpBB, vBulletin, Invision, etc.)  I looked at a double-handful of Google results for the 'bot post, and nearly all of them had reCaptcha, only a few had the forum's default captcha.

Here we go again.  >:(  Now I'm off to find a NEW method to defeat automated posts.

imrich

Quote from: CrankyOldguy on November 20, 2009, 01:44:52 PM
Folks, the reCaptcha mod is no longer a deterrent to the spambot...

3 different forums that I'm on have just recently had spambots register.  All 3 forums had reCaptcha installed.  When I googled a string in the bot's signature line, I saw 50,000 similar posts yesterday.  Today that same search yields 53,000 posts.

It's not just SMF it's cracked, I'm seeing it on every forum package (phpBB, vBulletin, Invision, etc.)  I looked at a double-handful of Google results for the 'bot post, and nearly all of them had reCaptcha, only a few had the forum's default captcha.

Here we go again.  >:(  Now I'm off to find a NEW method to defeat automated posts.

Yes, one of my forums that had reCAPTCHA was hit by a spambot just in the past few days.

青山 素子

Indeed, it's not as effective as it used to be. There are actual companies in India with real humans that offer "text processing" services which are really just CAPTCHA-breaking operations. They provide an API for software to use, and charge a few dollars per thousand correct answers. Check out the article Inside India's CAPTCHA solving economy.

I highly recommend using SMF 2.0's question/answer system, or the backport of this feature, Anti-Spam Verification Questions. Yes, that does work with 1.1.10. With this solution, you get a fully custom system that will stop all automated attacks and slow down humans.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

dr.wills

What I recommend is that, you have to use recaptcha in combination with several question in your forum language, for example
my forum is vietnamese, so I use recaptcha + vietnamese questions

bot can't solve recaptcha that easily
real human Indian just can't read my language.

You will be quite safe
http://movies-on-mediafire.com

Never dying collection of high definition mediafire movies link

Tiribulus

Quote from: akai1412 on November 20, 2009, 05:41:14 PM
What I recommend is that, you have to use recaptcha in combination with several question in your forum language, for example

You will be quite safe

Don't take this the wrong way, but while that may work for Vietnamese I'm pretty sure English sites won't be helped by this  :)

Beagleboys

Quote from: Tiribulus on November 20, 2009, 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: akai1412 on November 20, 2009, 05:41:14 PM

You will be quite safe

Don't take this the wrong way, but while that may work for Vietnamese I'm pretty sure English sites won't be helped by this  :)
put error in the phrase. wrong grammar and bad written word will help.
also if akismet get upgraded for smf2.0... we will solve the problem

c-o-d-e

This is a good mod, how do you center it? Is it possible for you to edit this mod so you can add the security questions too. As I believe you cant use the security questions ASWELL as this mod.

king kratos

Quote from: c-o-d-e on November 28, 2009, 10:12:18 PM
This is a good mod, how do you center it? Is it possible for you to edit this mod so you can add the security questions too. As I believe you cant use the security questions ASWELL as this mod.

I believe that the recaptcha picture being centered is being worked on currently.

I am using the security questions alongside this mode with no problems whatsoever.

Kratos

青山 素子

In the latest release, it should be centered in all instances where it makes sense. If you find a page where it should behave different, please post which page it is.

In 2.0 at least, you can use the security questions in addition to this. I'm not sure about the backported feature for 1.1.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

c-o-d-e

I am using 2.0, and I have turned on security questions, but they don't come up when I use recaptcha.

Rome

I installed this mod, and now not only does it not work, but I can no longer log in. The login field tells me I haven't entered a username.

demonoid

HI!
This mod works fine until someone fill in all info, mail etc and then click register. Then shows blank page and says "Could Not Open Socket".
How that problem can be fixed would you be so kind to explain.
Thanks.

青山 素子

Quote from: demonoid on January 13, 2010, 07:17:47 PM
This mod works fine until someone fill in all info, mail etc and then click register. Then shows blank page and says "Could Not Open Socket".

You'll need to talk to your host about this. It means that the server your site is on cannot talk to the reCAPTCHA service to verify the entry.
Motoko-chan

demonoid

Quote from: Motoko-chan on January 13, 2010, 08:18:19 PM
Quote from: demonoid on January 13, 2010, 07:17:47 PM

You'll need to talk to your host about this. It means that the server your site is on cannot talk to the reCAPTCHA service to verify the entry.

Talked to them now, and they said this:
"You have to allow connections the IP address of the host to which is trying to connect the module reCAPTCHA. You can do this from the Outgoing Connections Manager section in the Control Panel. Everything should be fine then."

And now I dont know to what IP is trying to connect and stuff ... :S

Thanks for such fast answer.

chetanmadaan

i installed this mod but not working.

can someone help.

even if we enter right characters... it's gonna say now.

http://www.xflagfootball.com/mb/index.php?action=register [nofollow]

青山 素子

I've seen this happen on occasion, it seems to be a disconnect with the remote service. Ensure both of your keys are entered correctly, there should be no spaces at the end (this is common if you copy/pasted the keys from the reCAPTCHA website).

Beyond that, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue consistently, and haven't seen it happen on anything I manage in quite some time.
Motoko-chan

ret

My forum is having issues with PM spam. I was really hopeful this mod might also integrate with the "Post count under which users must enter code when sending personal messages" option in Basic Features, but sadly not.

Has anyone done this, or are there plans to add this to the mod in the future?

cheers
RET

青山 素子

ret, what version of SMF? I'm guessing one of the 2.0 releases but i want to be sure.
Motoko-chan

ret

Hi Motoko-chan.

Still running 1.1.10 [nofollow].

Thanks for the quick reply.

cheers
RET

Advertisement: