News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

reCAPTCHA for SMF

Started by 青山 素子, December 28, 2007, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king kratos

Quote from: JBlaze on January 09, 2011, 06:27:56 AM
This will work on RC4 no problem. Just use the version_emulate feature in the admin panel to emulate RC3 so it can install, or you can modify the package itself to include RC4.

Proof: http://xboxleaders.com/contact/

Ok, I got it installed on my forum, but it is not centered. I attempted to add align=center and <center> but it still won't center. Any suggestions?

Kratos

gisfreak

hello i just use this mod, and works perfect, but because i use black based themes, there is a glitch that need to edit

i attached the picture, as you may see, the input box are black, and the char black too, so how to make the input box have different color, for example white, or maybe reverse of it, char have white color and input box is black

thanx  ;D

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

青山 素子

gisfreak, read back around pages 2-5. It's been asked and answered a few times.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

gisfreak

Quote from: 青山 素子 on January 12, 2011, 02:07:43 AM
gisfreak, read back around pages 2-5. It's been asked and answered a few times.

oh i'm sorry,  ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

kanuni41

reCaPTCHA don't work in RC4. Help me please or Should you use another spam bolcked in RC4

eyo

works perfectly for me unfortunately most spammers i got were humans who were paid so yeah eventually they win lol

JBlaze

Quote from: kanuni41 on January 12, 2011, 03:44:11 AM
reCaPTCHA don't work in RC4. Help me please or Should you use another spam bolcked in RC4
It works fine if you followed my instructions a few pages back. If you are having a conflict with another mod, then you will have to follow the Manual Installation of Mods doc.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Cloudbringer

Quote from: delling on November 12, 2010, 07:57:14 PM
Heya!

Also having issues with SMF 1.11.

The install seems to occur fine -- but I also had an empty Modifications.english.php file.

Still, I dumped the necessary code into that file... and still nothing appearing in Admin > Registration > Settings

Not seeing any errors, either :(
I am on 1.1.12 and am having the same issue.  I am using a custom theme, one that I created myself (copied the default theme to a new directory and then modified it).  I tried the auto install but nothing showed up in the Registration->Settings screen at all.  I then went through and manually installed everything, which resulted in a check box, a drop down, and two text lines showing up in the Registration->Settings screen.  I checked all of the instructions on the manual install, double checked that I had modified all of the PHP files correctly, and nothing I've done seems to make the text show up.

I did manage a partial workaround.  By switching to the default theme, activating the reCaptcha mod, inputting the keys, and saving everything, then switching back to my custom theme, I was able to get the proper text to show up in the Registration->Settings screen.  However when I switch back to my custom theme the text all disappears again.  The mod seemed to be working (the reCaptcha box shows up on the registration screen), but when I tried to register a new member I kept getting back the error that "The letters typed did not match those shown".  I tried to register an account using both the custom theme and the default theme, but I still get the same error.

Any thoughts? 

Having said all that, i still love the mod and am hoping that I can get it working.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

青山 素子

If you are customizing the default theme, do not copy the whole theme directory. It will break language strings and many other things. Copy only the template files you will be changing along with all the CSS and images.

What you did was broke the installation of the modification. It requires changes both in the templates and in the source files. While changes were made in the source files, the important changes in the templates were not made in your custom theme. You will need to make these changes manually, or clean up your custom theme so it uses the default templates where you have not made changes.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ltdeta

since a few days recaptcha don't stop register spambots

these are the last registered users (yesterday):

dedHoindyPies    dedHoindyPies    [email protected]    85.17.123.33
Canyclada    Canyclada    [email protected]    212.117.168.24
realliplerunc    realliplerunc    [email protected]    85.17.123.33
aspils    aspils    [email protected]    195.138.87.95
diepZedia    diepZedia    [email protected]    95.168.173.212
ScoothRah    ScoothRah    [email protected]    91.201.66.132

what can i do?

青山 素子

RECAPTCHA alone will not stop spammers. Combine with another option such as registration questions and/or httpBL.
Motoko-chan

JBlaze

Quote from: 青山 素子 on January 15, 2011, 01:44:03 PM
RECAPTCHA alone will not stop spammers. Combine with another option such as registration questions and/or httpBL.
Some people think reCAPTCHA is the be all and end all to spammers...

How sadly misinformed some people are :P
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

青山 素子

Quote from: JBlaze on January 15, 2011, 11:54:44 PM
Quote from: 青山 素子 on January 15, 2011, 01:44:03 PM
Some people think reCAPTCHA is the be all and end all to spammers...

How sadly misinformed some people are :P

It lasted for quite some time, until it became easy and cheap to have real humans do the solving.
Motoko-chan

[Lucien]

Quote from: king kratos on January 11, 2011, 05:13:54 PM

Ok, I got it installed on my forum, but it is not centered. I attempted to add align=center and <center> but it still won't center. Any suggestions?

Kratos

Open this file in a editor: Themes/default/GenericControls.template.php

Search:

<div id="verification_control_', $i, '" class="verification_control">';

Replace with:

<div align="center" id="verification_control_', $i, '" class="verification_control">';

I found this info here.... http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=379963.msg2617402#msg2617402

I'm using SMF 2.0.2 and SimplePortal 2.3.4

hakcenter

I was wondering if the mod auth was considering RC5 compat out of the box ?

I haven't tried a RC3 emulation yet, just going through the mods that I have.

Aoife

Quote from: hakcenter on February 15, 2011, 02:52:33 PM
I was wondering if the mod auth was considering RC5 compat out of the box ?

I haven't tried a RC3 emulation yet, just going through the mods that I have.

I installed it on 4 forums with the emulation - it's working on all 4.... hope this helps  :)

青山 素子

I'll get to updates when I can. Life has been hectic since before October and I haven't had enough of a block of time to sit down and go over every one of my modifications.
Motoko-chan

hakcenter

Quote from: aoife on February 15, 2011, 02:59:54 PM
I installed it on 4 forums with the emulation - it's working on all 4.... hope this helps  :)

Very well, looks like I know what I'm doing tonight...  8)

Quote from: 青山 素子 on February 15, 2011, 03:02:49 PM
I'll get to updates when I can. Life has been hectic since before October and I haven't had enough of a block of time to sit down and go over every one of my modifications.

I can completely understand.  :D

krick

As cool as reCAPTCHA is, I eventually abandoned it because it wasn't stopping the spammers anymore as they're using humans to crack the images instead of bots.

I'm running SMF 1.1.13 with the Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF mod and if you come up with a good question, it will stop most of the forum spam.  I only get one or two spammer registrations a month now.  The only protection from spammers I'm using is the built-in SMF image verification (set on medium complexity) and the Verification question mod.

The the hardest part is coming up with a question that your forum's target audience will know, but drive-by spammers will not.  Though, if you want to really use complex questions, you probably need to put some sort of contact email on your registration page for people who get stuck and can't figure out the answer.

青山 素子

Quote from: krick on February 18, 2011, 05:40:20 PM
As cool as reCAPTCHA is, I eventually abandoned it because it wasn't stopping the spammers anymore as they're using humans to crack the images instead of bots.

Agreed. I no longer recommend it as the sole protection against spammers.

Quote from: krick on February 18, 2011, 05:40:20 PM
I'm running SMF 1.1.13 with the Anti-Spam Verification Questions for SMF mod and if you come up with a good question, it will stop most of the forum spam.  I only get one or two spammer registrations a month now.  The only protection from spammers I'm using is the built-in SMF image verification (set on medium complexity) and the Verification question mod.

Custom question/answers work really well if done right. I currently recommend using reCAPTCHA plus question/answer and backing that up with the httpbl modification. I've only had one "false" positive on httpbl, which was from a user in South America who inherited a fairly busy spamming IP such that the score was above the "human check" cutoff.
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: