reCAPTCHA for SMF

Started by 青山 素子, December 28, 2007, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arskrigitsioniets

Always when I don't press ReCaptcha and press "Post message", I get this error (top of the screen).

And if I try to post after that, I get error "You've already send this message" (I use Russian version and the translation might be inaccurate).

It isn't critical, Captcha works, but how to solve this errors? I use this mod https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044 reCAPTCHAforSMF_1.0.1.tar.gz

I use SMF 2.0.15

Arskrigitsioniets

Also captcha doesn't work on Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0 - there is endless load after I press "I'm not a robot" here. But it works on Chrome, Opera and Mozilla.

njtweb

Quote from: Arskrigitsioniets on July 17, 2018, 08:12:32 AM
Also captcha doesn't work on Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0 - there is endless load after I press "I'm not a robot" here. But it works on Chrome, Opera and Mozilla.

Works fine in IE, but who uses IE really anymore? My site is about 90% hand held mobile device traffic, and to be honest, does anybody know anyone who actually uses MS Edge? I don't know anybody myself and I work with a rather large infrastructure team at the company I am employed with. If you bring up the subject of IE or Edge you see developers faces cringe. They all hate both browsers.

Arantor

It's still the world number two browser in most rankings.

njtweb

IE? All of my Cisco voIP browser based tools require FF as the main platform and function in Chrome but are rendered completely useless and more or less inoperable in IE and Edge. I guess because Cisco develops their software on an open source platform, FF and Chrome is all I've ever been able to use almost exclusively in my job requirement for the last 18 years.

Arantor

Impressive since neither FF nor Chrome are that old, FF emerged somewhere around 2004 from the remnants of what was Netscape, Chrome emerged in 2008-9.

I'm assuming they build for Chrome as that's the most commonly used browser and don't test on FF, it just happens to mostly work.

Edge is actually pretty good these days, seeing how several of my multinational clients are Edge only...

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on July 18, 2018, 09:31:56 AM
Impressive since neither FF nor Chrome are that old, FF emerged somewhere around 2004 from the remnants of what was Netscape, Chrome emerged in 2008-9.

I'm assuming they build for Chrome as that's the most commonly used browser and don't test on FF, it just happens to mostly work.

Edge is actually pretty good these days, seeing how several of my multinational clients are Edge only...

Guess my timing is off. Apparently I'm so used to using FF that I guess I assumed. Anyway, We're moving from 10.6 to 11 with our phone system platform and Cisco outright said to use FF exclusively during demo and orientation, similarly when we moved from 8.x into 10.6 it was the same. Finesse 10.6 doesn't work at all in Chrome, does work in IE but is ridiculously slow. Whatever the case, all I am doing is what Cisco suggested so.....that's why I use FF exclusively.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on July 18, 2018, 09:31:56 AM

If it's an app, I'm not touching it :P.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arskrigitsioniets

QuoteWorks fine in IE
Try my forum https://xn--l1adgmc.xn--80agfnksgkikc.xn--p1ai/index.php. Does the captcha work in IE and Edge in sign up menu?

青山 素子

As a quick note, I'm working on an update for this modification. It's planned to use the newer reCAPTCHA library for PHP and to integrate better into the current anti-spam verification system.

I have very little time, so it's going a bit slow.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

sam666

Thank you very much for keeping this excellent mod updated  :)

njtweb

That's great news. Thank you so much it's very much appreciated.

青山 素子

I just uploaded an update. Please note that there are some major changes with this version, mainly to integrate things in a cleaner way. The reCAPTCHA method now operates independently from the built-in visual verification system rather than replacing it. This means you need to disable the built-in visual integration if you don't want it to be used.

Also, I know there is the whole Invisible reCAPTCHA system too, but I'm not planning on supporting it. The way you need to set up things in the code appears to be way too intrusive to make a clean modification that supports it.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

njtweb

Quote from: 青山 素子 on August 04, 2018, 12:58:03 AM
I just uploaded an update. Please note that there are some major changes with this version, mainly to integrate things in a cleaner way. The reCAPTCHA method now operates independently from the built-in visual verification system rather than replacing it. This means you need to disable the built-in visual integration if you don't want it to be used.

Also, I know there is the whole Invisible reCAPTCHA system too, but I'm not planning on supporting it. The way you need to set up things in the code appears to be way too intrusive to make a clean modification that supports it.

Thank you, greatly appreciated. When you say invisible I'd like to make sure I understand what you mean. I use the current "I'm not a robot" recaptcha. Is that the invisible recaptcha? Also does the old version have to be removed when the new version is installed?

Arantor

Yes, the old version has to be removed to install the new version.

No, this is not the invisible reCAPTCHA, this is 'noCAPTCHA'. The invisible CAPTCHA is the next iteration where many users see no obvious challenge to face because of a whole lot of profiling done under the hood to identify whether the user 'feels like a bot' or not. If they pass the test, they don't even see a thing to fill in.

njtweb

青山 素子

What Arantor said. (Thanks for helping out!)

Invisible reCAPTCHA is pretty darn cool. Basically, you don't see it at all unless it thinks you may not be human. In that case, you see it. The thing is, because of how you need to set things up to use it (some javascript intercepts things), it would be a lot more changes to SMF than I feel are wise.

Motoko-chan

moyack

Quote from: 青山 素子 on August 05, 2018, 01:17:15 AM

Just wanted to say, thanks for this awesome tool. Mandatory in this world of spambots.

hamav8tor

I had been using this mod for a while successfully and something broke it recently...not sure what. The registration flow goes like this:

- registration page comes up
- user fills in reg information
- CAPTCHA appears and is solved
- user submits form and it times out after 20 seconds or so (php.ini and php-fpm timers are longer)

If I switch back to the built-in SMF captcha everything works fine.

I checked the reCAPTCHA portal on Google and there were no stats for my key pair because "site's traffic is below the minimum required to display charts" even though it had been in use successfully for a while.

There was also a warning at the top of the page about my client not verifying user answers or something to that effect...I deleted my previous key pair and set up a new key pair today and still no luck.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

njtweb

Have you tried the new version she just updated?

Advertisement: