News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Hide SMF Version

Started by 青山 素子, January 01, 2008, 01:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plusev

Tried installing on 2 RC 1.2 and got the following error:

Installations actions for "Hide SMF Version":
The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. 

Please advise. Thx

青山 素子

Why do you want to hide the version? It's not like it even helps with anything. Please read my rant.

If you still insist in persisting to pointlessly hide things, tell the package manage you are running an earlier version of SMF. In the package view, look at the advanced area at the bottom-right of the page.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

plusev

With all due respect- my desire to remove the version has nothing to due with security and more to due with clutter. The bottom of my forum reads like the credits of a hollywood blockbuster movie. I respect each mod authors right to backlink but I'd personally rather make a "donation" and have the ability to reduce the tagging of all my pages or at least limit it to a links page - but thats me.

Thx

青山 素子

The version is quite a small portion, but to each their own. I must say you are the first person I've seen with any view other than "it helps haxorz!!!111 one one".

Personally, I agree that each mod developer adding their credits to the bottom is a ton of clutter. I can see it possibly for huge modifications that affect every page (TP, SP, and other portals), or for only pages that it is part of (shop mod, staff page, etc).
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

plusev

Quote from: Motoko-chan on July 18, 2009, 04:11:50 PM
The version is quite a small portion, but to each their own. I must say you are the first person I've seen with any view other than "it helps haxorz!!!111 one one".

Personally, I agree that each mod developer adding their credits to the bottom is a ton of clutter. I can see it possibly for huge modifications that affect every page (TP, SP, and other portals), or for only pages that it is part of (shop mod, staff page, etc).

I don't think for most of us using SMF for commercial ventures, a few bucks to at least be able to move the backlinks to a links pages would be much to ask. Having backlinks to all my "free stuff" I'm using all over my pages is a bit unprofessional for a professional endeavor. I'm sort of surprised that authors who openly request a donation don't, at the same time, makes the move or remove option available for a reasonable fee. I'm guessing there would be more in their paypal account from folks like me than those feeling generous.

Thx again.

danielwmoore

Quote from: Motoko-chan on July 18, 2009, 03:07:48 AM
Why do you want to hide the version? It's not like it even helps with anything. Please read my rant.

I know this question wasn't for me specifically, but I feel it applies.

I for one would like to thank you for a mod that IS useful to me.  As an administrator of a board that has a lot of young teenagers, AND as one who doesn't always upgrade to the next version RIGHT away, I find it helpful in a very unique way.  When the version was showing, I would keep getting messages from members stating, "Your forums out of date.  You need to update it."  Hiding the version stops all this annoyance.

So, as a reduced annoyance factor on my forums, I thank you for the mod. 

I know, I should upgrade faster.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  Usually, at least 2 people notice the new updates the day it comes out, and I don't get it for another few days.  This prevents me from having to constantly watch for updates. 

smartmouse

Hello, can you edit the mod to make it hide TinyPortal version too?

青山 素子

I am not sure how TP handles its version. I suggest asking for something on their support site.
Motoko-chan

bdewong

Great mod and the rant is even better.

smartmouse

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 10, 2009, 04:22:02 PM
I am not sure how TP handles its version. I suggest asking for something on their support site.

Ok, thank you anyway.

Jack_the_ripper

The mode will be update to rc2?

青山 素子

It should work with emulation, but I do plan to update it as soon as I have time.
Motoko-chan

king kratos

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 11, 2009, 12:07:01 PM
It should work with emulation, but I do plan to update it as soon as I have time.

Motoko-chan,

Here is the package that is compatible with Version 2.0 RC2. All I did was add 2.0 RC2 to the package_info.xml file. By doing this, SMF package manager sees it as being compatible with RC2 and the few file edits that are made are made without issue. I installed it on my RC2 test forum without problems.

If you don't want to use this, no problem. If you do want to use this, feel free to. I do NOT expect any credit because I didn't really do anything but add 2.0 RC2 to package_info.xml and did this on my own. If you do not want this zipped file attached to this topic, let me know and I can get it removed. I just thought this might help you a little.

Thank you for a great mod. This mod is helpful in many ways.

Thank you,
Kratos

青山 素子

Please remove it from the public topic. The license I use forbids modified distribution.
Motoko-chan

king kratos

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 11, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
Please remove it from the public topic. The license I use forbids modified distribution.

:-[ :-[ Oh shoot! I apologize! I'm really, really, sincerely sorry about that. I was just trying to be helpful. Please forgive me.  :-[ :-[

On that note, can I still use it this way? Or do I need to uninstall it and wait for your updated version?

Sorry,
Kratos

青山 素子

You can hack it to your heart's content, you just can't distribute it (same license restriction as SMF itself). I also don't mind if you post instructions on what to edit, just don't distribute the thing.
Motoko-chan

Jack_the_ripper

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 11, 2009, 12:07:01 PM

Thank you for the answer.
Anyway according to me for this the mod should be from a basis in to the smf .

king kratos

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 11, 2009, 01:45:06 PM
You can hack it to your heart's content, you just can't distribute it (same license restriction as SMF itself). I also don't mind if you post instructions on what to edit, just don't distribute the thing.

Again, I'm sorry about that. I was posting the edited package more for you (to help save you time) than for anyone else. If you want, I can email you the edited package, but that is up to you. I will be more careful in the future and will not distribute any packages at all.

Thanks,
Kratos

Ben K

In "printpage" you can see version of forum any way =\
SMF RC-2.

青山 素子

Quote from: Ben K on November 21, 2009, 08:29:20 PM
In "printpage" you can see version of forum any way =\
SMF RC-2.

I'll look into it, but this method should hide it globally except for users in the "Administrators" group.

Edit: I just checked and confirmed that the version is not shown in the print view either unless you are logged in and a member of the Administrators group.
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: