News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] phpBB3

Started by JayBachatero, January 23, 2008, 04:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleePy

If your host allows you to use custom php.ini files then you should be able to:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php#ini.open-basedir

You could also try the conversion locally if you want.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ellion

Quote from: SleePy on July 06, 2008, 02:21:54 PM

You could also try the conversion locally if you want.

how do you mean locally, smf installed into the same directory as phpbb?

ellion

i just thought would my problem be caused if the two forums where on different domains although using the same database.

ellion

the more i think about this, i think this is my problem.

i have one domain pointing to my public_html directory, [this has my orginal phpBB]
and i have a directory within this which has its own seperate domain [with smf installed] . both domains and forums use the one database.

will this be an issue?

ThorstenE

For example:
Path to smf: /home/www/user1/public_html/smf
path to PHPBB3:  /home/www/user1/public_html

this should work if host has set open_basedir to /home/www/user1/public_html

ellion

thanks i will give it a try.

ellion

ok i managed to make the conversion.

putting the new forum in a local directory to the old forum.

now, do i need to edit the login.php with the code from the opening post of this topic?

btw thanks for the help, this has just rescued a messed up phpbb database.

ThorstenE

you can edit LogInOut.php by hand (as described in the first post of this topic) or install the attached ( first post of this topic) phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz  via Package-Manager.

ellion

Quote from: ThorstenE on July 07, 2008, 04:08:37 AM
you can edit LogInOut.php by hand (as described in the first post of this topic) or install the attached ( first post of this topic) phpBB3_Login_Fix.tgz  via Package-Manager.

in order to install a via package manager would i need to be logged in? as i cannot log in with admin priviliges at present.

ellion

may be you could advise with this issue too.

i would like the baord to be installed in the public_html directory, at present it is installed in public_html/smf/

my plan was to make a clean installation on a clean database and then transfer the tables by making a back up and restoring from the present installation to the clean installation.

is this as easy as it sounds or is there a simpler way to get the forum from /smf/ to /?

ThorstenE

Quote from: ellion on July 07, 2008, 04:16:07 AM
in order to install a via package manager would i need to be logged in? as i cannot log in with admin priviliges at present.
you may use the forgotten-passwort link to reset your password. else you can reset the passwort with PHPMyadmin: in SQL-Code-Window execute
update smf_members set passwd = "test",  passwordSalt='' where ID_MEMBER=xyz
replace smf_ with your prefix and xyz with your Admin's user_id, after that you should be able to login with your account and password: test

moving SMF to a different is described in the docs: Saving/Restoring, and Moving SMF (From a Host to Another)

ellion

still unable to reset my password.

when i have tried to resend my password forgotten password, nothing happens no emails are sent out for anyusers. infact i registered as a new user and no email confirmation was sent out. thats another issue altogether.

i ran the .sql query as above but i returned this message

Error

SQL query:

UPDATE smf_members SET passwd = "password",
passwordSalt = '' WHERE ID_MEMBER = admin

MySQL said: Documentation
#1054 - Unknown column 'admin' in 'where clause'

i presume that the loginout.php needs to be edited before conversion of the board. what else can i do?

SleePy

the ID is not a word. It would be the ID of your admin

I assume you are using phpMyAdmin? You can simply find your admin user in the smf_members table and edit it. Then change the password.
You can leave it in a plain text format. When you login, SMF will detect this and encrypt it using its own password format and update it to the database.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ellion

i am using phpmyadmin

i have the database open,  i go to table smf_members

then do i go to ID_MEMBER or passwd?

then do edit one of those tables?

ellion

its okay you dont need to answer that.

i have done it.

i just went to password and copied the password hash and used that, it worked.

right... now... how do i change all the other users passwords...

i can install something from package manager right?

at last!! thank you. :D

SleePy

You search for your username or id.

Then you click the edit icon in that row.

Go down to the passwd field and change that to a password you can use to login (you can use a temp one if you want to change it in your profile later).

ellion

thanks SleePy we got there eventually

SleePy

Not a problem :)

We try our best to hopefully make the conversion smooth.

Some people do say the password fix doesn't always work. I need to investigate that. Wonder if some reason the password hash is coming out different or maybe they upgraded php..

ellion

now that i have been converted should i continue with asking for support in this thread or should take myself into the newly intiated n00b sections?

kick me if i am misplaced i will continue here.

none of my other users can login? do i need to do the package manager password fix thing?

another problemo is when a user requests a password reset user is not recognised.

and final little thing that i have notcied i get a strang extra forward slash / in some of my urls.

like this http://domain//index.php

instead of

like this http://domain/index.php

spot the difference?

i am not sure this is really a problem but i dont like things happening that should not be.

any suggestions?

SleePy

Yes that password fix would be needed.
What it does is tell SMF how to recognize the hashed phpbb password, so it can be changed to its style.

The lost password is not working? Is any email being sent out at all by the forum? It might be that the server is disallowing the email to be sent out from the forum..

Advertisement: