News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Optimise my site

Started by 3guk, March 20, 2008, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3guk

Hi Guys,

I run quite a large forum and an even larger Joomla site, these run on the same server, but are connected to different Datbases, again on the same server.

My Joomla site runs really quickly and I have recently been working on making it as fast as possible, and would now like to do the same with my forums.

As per the instructions I have uploaded status.php on my server and here are the results :

Connections per second:      0.1314
Kilobytes received per second:    0.4291
Kilobytes sent per second:    54.5129
Queries per second:    2.372
Percentage of slow queries:    0
Opened vs. Open tables:
(table_cache)    3.3125 (should be <= 80)
Table cache usage:
(table_cache)    1 (should be >= 0.5 and <= 0.9)
Key buffer read hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.0067 (should be <= 0.01)
Key buffer write hit rate:
(key_buffer_size)    0.4581 (should be <= 0.5)
Thread cache hit rate:
(thread_cache_size)    1.0043 (should be >= 30 )
Thread cache usage:
(thread_cache_size)    0 (should be >= 0.7 and <= 0.9)
Temporary table disk usage:
(tmp_table_size)    0.381 (should be <= 0.5)
Sort merge pass rate:
(sort_buffer)    0 (should be <= 0.001)
Query cache enabled:
(query_cache_type)    1 (should be >= 1 and <= 1)
Query cache miss rate:
(query_cache_limit)    1 (should be <= 0.5)
Query cache prune rate:
(query_cache_size)    0 (should be <= 0.05)

I was wondering what I need to do to get my site running faster, in the past few days it has really started to struggle, I rebotted the server and this has helped somewhat, and plan to install APC or something along those lines, I have eaccl running but SMF doesn't seem to be able to see it.

I have full root access to the server and can modify any of the configs.

kizer

Why not just loging to myphpadmin and click the optimise button?
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

3guk

I've done that and it doesnt seem to make a difference !! Things have also been made much better by changing to INNODB in some cases, they must have reverted back when I moved hosts somehow, not entirely sure how.

I'd still be interested if there is anything more I can get out of my system.

Cheers

EDIT : Its back to being damned slow, seems I don't have MYSQL set up optimally for large sites. Could do with some pointers, have never really dabbled in this before.

青山 素子

Did you check the stickies in this board?

Quote from: kizer on March 20, 2008, 02:23:48 PMWhy not just loging to myphpadmin and click the optimise button?

That only cleans out any overhead in a table (unused space). It doesn't help speed unless you have a lot of overhead and the table fragments. Some tables benefit from it, but it isn't a cure-all.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

3guk

Yup tried everything in the stickies, I still get 3second load times on a very fast server, used to get like 0.1s.

It would seem to be when the cookie expries that it takes ages, my site is www.ukslc.org/forum, the load times are really bad, and I've tried everything I can think of, anyone else see anything I am doing wrong ?

rsw686

The status.php lets you know how mysql server is running. You'll need to tweak those values in my.cnf. I would good about it first. If you put in the wrong values you'll have horrible performance. There is some calculations you can do to get you in the right range. Then you just check the status.php and fine tune it in.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

3guk

H

Sorry for the late response. Did you manage to make any improvements?

status.php seems to have gone so I can't suggest any :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

3guk

Managed to find it was a bad script that was taking ages to load, supposed to be a fast RSS parser and it had just died and took about 10 seconds to serve anything.

Anyhow, I'm back to a quick server again !!

H

Glad you got it solved. AFAIK magpierss has caching built in so you may be able to use that if you still need an RSS script
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: