News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Membergroup based on STATUS

Started by TarantinoArchives, January 03, 2005, 10:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarantinoArchives

I have seen a MOD that allowed admins to create membergroups based on GENDER.

I'd like to have a feature that would allow me to group members based upon the "last online" status. I want to drop all my "last online: NEVER" members into a group. i will call it "inactives" and that would allow me to easier determine how to reactivate those, contact those or clean out those accounts.

a usergroup based on "last active: more than 12 months" ago would also be cool. so admins with huge member forums can easier sort out old accounts.

thank you

TarantinoArchives

Nidoking

I think this is a good idea. I wouldn't be able to make a mod, though.

Thantos

I don't see this being very difficult:
Create another table to store the information
- Some ID #
- Inactivity Time
- ID_GROUP to move them to

During the forum maintenance  have it query the table for those that exceed your shortest time in that table and start reassigning member groups based off of those rules.

If its a seperate function it wouldn't be hard to make an admin link/button to do cleanup at will also.

If no one else wants it I'll do this.  It might be monday before I can get it done and tested.  Have a few other projects I want to finish up.

Thantos

Thought about this some more and it can be done without another table.  Just have to add two more columns into membergroups.  I should have the mod done tonight but it'll probably be tomorrow before I can fully test it and write the package.

TarantinoArchives

you are my personal hero.
2 options would be cool: assign new member group based upon "last active: never", and/or assign member groups based upon "last active: x time ago" x being an option of 6, 12 or 18 months or more.....

a combination of activity AND post count would also be super. because i have users with more than 200 posts that haven't been online for almost a year, and i have people with 0 posts who havent been online. i dont wanna throw them into one pot

Thantos

Are you usingi post based groups?  If so it'll be easy to do both.

Currently the mod is setup as such:
On a per group bases set a max inactivity time and a group to move them to.  If they are both non zero look at the lastlogin field and see if (time() - maxinactive) > lastlogin.  If so reassign the member's primary group to the grouped you defined.

Note that admins and global moderators will not be looked at.

TarantinoArchives

how far are you? please tell me when you're done

Thantos

I'd say I'm about half way through the coding.  That still leaves debugging and writing the package.  I'll post a link to the mod when I'm done.

TLM

Why could you not use the lastlogin (in the members table) and compute from there to a date where you deal the fall off to inactive?

Peter Duggan

Because some very active members are logged in 'forever'?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 09, 2005, 03:16:23 PM
Because some very active members are logged in 'forever'?

No, lastLogin is updated periodically and is where the "last active" notice in your profile comes from.

-[Unknown]

TarantinoArchives

i think that's what we're aiming at, the "last active: xxx ".
so if it sais "last active: NEVER" its an inactive user and if it sais "last active: october 10 2001" it's also an inactive user, at least its somebody who has been online at all, some time in the past.

"last active: never" users are most likely some, who never were online after you switched from YaBB to SMF

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: MikeMill on January 08, 2005, 12:33:01 PM
I'd say I'm about half way through the coding.  That still leaves debugging and writing the package.  I'll post a link to the mod when I'm done.

hi mike. what's the status?

Thantos

Everything is coded.  I just need to package it up and make sure the installtion works.  I should be done tomorrow.  Been busy.

TarantinoArchives

Peter Duggan

@TarantinoArchives

Please understand that, while you're understandably anxious to get hold of this, you'll simply have to wait till it's ready. Now, I'm sure MikeMill hasn't forgotten you and will be back in touch when it is, but this kind of repeated 'bumping' achieves nothing except putting the people who are trying to help you under unnecessary pressure and possibly even putting them off because of that.

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 15, 2005, 03:27:23 PM
@TarantinoArchives

Please understand that, while you're understandably anxious to get hold of this, you'll simply have to wait till it's ready. Now, I'm sure MikeMill hasn't forgotten you and will be back in touch when it is, but this kind of repeated 'bumping' achieves nothing except putting the people who are trying to help you under unnecessary pressure and possibly even putting them off because of that.

yeah you're right.  i'm just overexcited. be cool

TarantinoArchives

Mike sent me the language files today, which I translated to German.
He sais he is currently in the process of packaging this Mod.

Everyone please say "hooray for mike!". thank you

Nidoking

Cool! The package should be very nice. I'll be using it as soon as the public gets a hold of it.

Advertisement: