[Tip] Drop Down Menu Tutorial (..for all themes)

Started by Hoochie Coochie Man, August 05, 2008, 05:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

espressoguy

Well if you go over to www.cssplay.co.uk, he has lots of drop-down menus there that address the IE6 issue by Conditional Comments (HTML) - no javascript required.  I don't know how these drop-down menus look or work in IE6 but of course since so few people are using IE6, it seems that what really matters is that they should simply be able to get where they need to go one way or another (and upgrade to a decent browser if they want to get there with style). 

Antechinus

I must admit I haven't played with his menus because the ones that interested me had too many conditions of use attached to them and the code isn't available in a convenient format. I'll fire up IE6 tonight and run it over a few of his menus.

espressoguy

Great; I'd like to hear/see the result (screenshot w/description would be nice).

Antechinus

Ran a quick check on them and they work. Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at this.

Jessikard

one question please

some User use IE6 and could only see the navigationbar they won´t be able to use the dropdowns

how can i fix this ?

olma

Maybe you could try this?

Quote from: espressoguy on September 16, 2008, 11:31:23 AM
Well if you go over to www.cssplay.co.uk, he has lots of drop-down menus there that address the IE6 issue by Conditional Comments (HTML) - no javascript required.

Sabre™

Here is your answer, taken from the second page.

Quote from: Hoochie Coochie Man on August 12, 2008, 02:20:10 AM
style.css
div#menu ul.menu ul {
   position: absolute;
   top: 40px;
   left: -999em;
   width: 165px;
   font-size: 88%;
}

Try to decrease 40
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

dailytalk

Quote from: razorblitz07 on August 20, 2008, 10:52:05 PM
I'm having a bug over at http://fiestahq.sparkonline.net/forum/index.php

When I hover over a link that is supposed to drop down, I can't click on the links in the sub-menu.  As soon as I move the cursor over to the sub-menu, the sub-menu disappears.  Takes a few tries to actually click on the sub-menu links without it going away.

I've got the same problem. How did you solve it?

Sabre™

Why do you keep deleting then posting this?
READ what I quoted.
That will fix it.
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

dailytalk

I already decreased it in order to get the correct space between menu and submenu but this is not the problem.

My code:
div#menu ul.menu ul {
                position: absolute;
                top: 35px;
left: -999em;
  width: 160px;
                font-size: 88%;
}

[unplugged]

« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

dailytalk

Quote from: SunKing on September 21, 2008, 10:13:36 AM
The dropdowns on your site work fine for me.

The drop-down you see on my frontpage is a sugarfish drop-down menu for wordpress. I now would like install something similar for my SMF-Community side. If you are on the frontpage click on "community" in the navbar and you come to the side on which I also need a drop down.

Problem: When I install the drop-down from this topic it  looks good but when I hover over a link that is supposed to drop down, I can't click on the links in the sub-menu.  As soon as I move the cursor over to the sub-menu, the sub-menu disappears.

dailytalk

dailytalk

Quote from: dailytalk on September 21, 2008, 08:37:58 AM
Quote from: razorblitz07 on August 20, 2008, 10:52:05 PM
I'm having a bug over at http://fiestahq.sparkonline.net/forum/index.php

When I hover over a link that is supposed to drop down, I can't click on the links in the sub-menu.  As soon as I move the cursor over to the sub-menu, the sub-menu disappears.  Takes a few tries to actually click on the sub-menu links without it going away.

I've got the same problem. How did you solve it?

Antechinus

Do you still have a gap between menu bar and the sub-menu, as illustrated in that screenshot? If you do that will be the cause of your problem.

dailytalk

I think that I solved now the problem...I changed the code in bold from 25px to 20px:

Quotediv#menu li.level1 li a, div#menu li.level1 li span.separator{
   height: 20px;   
                padding: 0px;
                padding-bottom:10px;
   margin: 0px 1px;
   background: #89A7C1; /*Change your submenu background color in here*/
   float: none;
     display: block;   
                line-height: 25px;
}

Now it works.

dailytalk

Just found a validation error....

echo '
                              <table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<tr>

</tr>
</table>';

Thats the message I get from the validator:
QuoteThe mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

You should not put a "<table>" element inside elements like "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>" but its exactly what the html-code of the dropdown menu does.

How can I solve that problem? (The code mentioned above causes this validation errors)

matasanos

Antechinus

Quote from: dailytalk on September 26, 2008, 04:58:40 PMYou should not put a "<table>" element inside elements like "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>" but its exactly what the html-code of the dropdown menu does.
No, it doesn't. Take a look. There is no mention of any of those elements ion the code you quoted, nor does the menu code put a table inside any of them when installed in a theme unless you have done something strange with it.

I'm running a lightly tweaked version of this menu in Mystic Multi and it passes validation.

dailytalk

It doesn't? Whats that?

Go to the validator here:
http://validator.w3.org/

And make a check for this side:
http://www.dailytalk.ch/community/

The problem seem to be this code here:
// Show the start of the tab section.

echo ' <table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">
<tr>

<td class="catbg" height="32">   
         <div id="menu">       
       <ul class="menu">       

<li class="level1"><a href="', $scripturl, '" class="level1"><span><span class="title">' , $txt[103] , '</span></span></a></li>                 
<li class="level1"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=help" class="level1"><span><span class="title">' , $txt[119] , '</span></span></a></li>'; 

// How about the [search] button?                  if ($context['allow_search'])     
             echo '                             
    <li class="level1"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=search" class="level1"><span><span class="title">' , $txt[182] , '</span></span></a></li>';

The complete code you find on the first page of this topic. You can see table elements and span elements....so what does this tells you?

I have a problem with the IE7. The drop down goes under some elements and this doesn't look nice. Therefore I am looking for mistakes...first I made a validator check and found some mistakes...unfortunately the validator only says whats wrong but he does not give a solution for the problem....I really need something which work with all big browsers and not only with FF, Opera, Safari and Netscape. 60% of the visitors use IE....

Advertisement: