News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Quote Clear Line

Started by Deprecated, August 08, 2008, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Link to Mod

Obsolete

ccbtimewiz

Interesting modification.

However, is there anyway to disclude it? Such as, letting certain people be able to not use the break space? Is there any alternative methods of not putting the break for certain members/membergroups?

Deprecated

It's only been out for a few minutes and already you want feature bloat! ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, anything is possible but it seems to me that the amount of code needed to implement that would vastly dwarf the 5 lines that the mod changes. I can't really see adding dozens or scores of lines of code to add such a feature.

BTW I would like to recognize that this hack for 1.1.5 has been out in the wild for some time now. I merely developed the corresponding hack for 2.0 and wrapped it all up in a mod package. I'll admit that I'm one of those that was torn between my annoyance at the ugly posts and the understanding that micromanaging the members of my forum would likely decimate my numbers. This mod nicely solves the problem without getting anybodies hackles up. :D

ccbtimewiz

Well.. all it does is add a break line. :P

Nice job though. It saves people the trouble from editing SMF source files. :)

Deprecated

Thanks for the compliment! I'm a professional developer, but I can appreciate the confusion of the many newbies running SMF and their trepidation at editing the code themselves. I also appreciate that you can edit the heck out of your code and in the end you're going to have a mess of a configuration control problem. I admire the conceptual beauty of SMF's package installer as the answer to configuration control for my forum.

For the first week or so of my 3 weeks running SMF I had just been hacking the code, but it dawned on me that I could be headed for a disaster with a code mess that nobody but me could or would support. I decided right then that each feature I change in my SMF software would be wrapped into a mod package before I put it on my production forum. As a result, I'm bound to have any number of small mods and even some bigger ones that other people may appreciate. In the spirit of the open source community I'm quite happy that others can benefit from my work, just as I'm benefited by the huge code base that is SMF.

I'm working on my first significant modification which I hope to submit soon, and have an assortment of smaller mods that I'll upload from time to time. I really like the idea of putting these hacks in a form that they are accessible by newbies, and many of them are features that newbies would probably like.

mark7144

Quote from: ccbtimewiz on August 08, 2008, 06:13:52 PM
Interesting modification.

However, is there anyway to disclude it? Such as, letting certain people be able to not use the break space? Is there any alternative methods of not putting the break for certain members/membergroups?
That sounds a bit over the top, I hope those features are not added to this mod as they are unnecessary.

Cal O'Shaw

Well, I also like the idea of a simple MOD like this.  People not doing such a simple bit of formatting bug me as well.  Grazie.

It's some of the little things that one wishes could be available as small, simple MODs.  You wouldn't happen to have ever looked at being able use the Admin CP to edit the welcome or rejection letters (which are nothing more than strings)?

Again, thanks for making this simple, but welcome MOD!

Grazie,

Cal

Click here to see the request, placed in the proper topic.

Deprecated

Thank you Cal. I'm just cutting my teeth on SMF and at the same time I had some minor appearance squawks about little things that required minor tinkering with the source. I started my own SMF-based forum just 3 weeks ago, and it's going great. I was intrigued by the mod packages and package installer, so I learned how to use it and apply it to my own mods.

Then I started hanging out at SMF forums and saw all the newbie questions about minor things, imagined many of them opening their source in Notepad... Well I figured writing a few very trivial mod packages would be a great way to help newbies customize their SMF, and a great way for me to introduce myself to the SMF community. And besides, I was writing these packages for my own forum too, and as long as they're already written I thought, why not share them?

I've got a few more in the pipe, but I didn't want to be accused of mod package flooding... ;) When my present submissions are approved I'll submit a few more, and I'm working on some more substantial mods that will take significantly more development before they are ready for prime time. But I'm having a good time! :)

Your idea to be able to edit the acceptance/rejection letters from the admin panel is a good one. I've made a note of it and I'll consider possibly doing it myself. As it turns out, my main challenge (new mod I'm working on) requires the ability to edit a  text file from the admin panel exactly like you are suggesting, only it's a text file I need for the function I'm working on. Once I figure out how to do this it might not be that hard for me to address your suggested mod.

Please feel welcome to send me a PM after a week or so if you haven't gotten any productive response to your suggestion, remind me to look at it again. I have a few items that are important to my own forum that takes priority, but I'll be willing to take on a few things for other people particularly if they're "kewl." :) Or like your suggestion, once I get my current mod going yours should be a piece of cake.

In the mean time I urge everybody to do as Cal has done, submitting his idea to the Mod Requests board. After I get a few more mods behind me, after I get my own forum configured the way I want, I'll be visiting the Mod Requests board looking at all the ideas, seeing if any are suited for my particular skills, and if I find any that really intrigue me I'll be happy to get them coded and submitted. :)

gemigene

Great Mod!

I sure hope you will be flooding the Mods section with new and useful packages.

Cheers,
Gene
"Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven"

Deprecated

Thanks Gene. Actually I have a few more ready even now, and working on a bigger one. The small ones address little nit picky things that I realized were easy to fix, and they are mostly just the things that newbies might like, people who aren't quite ready to step into SMF's code and edit their forum. This Quote Clear Line is only 5 lines changed. Any expert could change their code manually, but now this feature is accessible to newbies.

I've seen good ideas mentioned here in the forums frequently, many with very few lines of code changed, but nobody ever bothers to put them into mod packages. I won't say packaging them is exactly exciting work, but I want all my mods in packages so I can more easily control the configuration of my own forum. As long as I'm doing the packages I might as well share them with everybody.

I hope that as I gain experience with SMF's internals that my modifications will become more complex and do bigger things.

gemigene

QuoteActually I have a few more ready even now

Great, can't wait to see what they're all about.  :P

QuoteThis Quote Clear Line is only 5 lines changed.

Might be only 5 lines of code but they sure do the trick, the quoted replies sure look more appealing,

There is one feature lacking on SMF which you'll find on most forum software packages and that would be a forum description field under the forum title, I have to hard-code descriptions on every forum I setup (see attached example).

Cheers,
Gene
"Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven"

Deprecated

Please post your request in the Mod Requests board at SMF. That's where I go to look for ideas. I presume most of the coders do the same. :)

Mod Requests is a global TODO list.

gemigene

keyboard

Quote from: Deprecated on August 09, 2008, 01:04:00 AM
I started my own SMF-based forum just 3 weeks ago, and it's going great.

Is your Forum a Public Forum? Can we see it?

Ron

Слaва
Украинi

Deprecated

I just started my forum just 3 weeks ago and I'm still organizing the boards. I haven't even had a chance to move away from SMF's default theme so my site is pretty unremarkable. It looks like any other SMF default theme site you've seen, boring, ordinary. I have a few more modification packages that I want to write and put in my site before I begin to explore more imaginative themes. I prefer to not share the site until it's something that I can be proud of my work. In the mean time I have more mod packages. :)

Jade Elizabeth

Does this only insert a break if there was none to begin with or am I going to end up with double breaks everywhere for those of us who like neat posts? ;)
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

mark7144

Surely this mod is completely unnecessary? I noticed this problem a long time ago and simply changed the CSS so the quotes had some margin below them.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: mark7144 on September 19, 2008, 04:07:55 PM
Surely this mod is completely unnecessary? I noticed this problem a long time ago and simply changed the CSS so the quotes had some margin below them.

No. I want even space under my quotes. If that means forcing a break I'm cool with that, but if I have CSS for it then suddenly those who put the break in have bigger gaps than those who dont. It will drive me nuts lol.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Deprecated

Quote from: Jade on September 19, 2008, 04:00:50 PM
Does this only insert a break if there was none to begin with or ...

It's "OR." This mod is expressly for the use of those who want that. All others are forbidden to use it! :)

It's not a great mod but the hack has been around since the 1.* days and the mod package simply puts it within the reach of those who do not feel comfortable manually modifying their forum code.

Jade Elizabeth

So it shoves a break in regardless of manually inserted breaks?

Advertisement: