News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Rate That Topic

Started by slinouille, August 20, 2008, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4G-TK

Quote from: anewhobby on November 16, 2009, 01:42:16 AM
What default theme is this meant to work on.. i upgraded to the latest smf (SMF 2.0 RC2) ..... but when i tried to install the package i got these errors.

10. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php Test failed
1. Add Before ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php Test failed

and

13. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php Test failed
1. Add After ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php Test failed
2. Replace ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php Test failed

So... should I just execute the install and then manually do these edits? Is there a diffrent theme that comes with the full version install of SMF?

I am using SMF Default Theme - Core (Uploaded FRESH form the full install pack) .... ??

<----- EDIT

Yea... I tried to manually edit those files... but the search string dosn't seam to be in there at all... can anyone tell me where i am meant to make these edits on the default smf core theme?

There were a lot of changes between SMF RC1.2 and SMF RC2.0.  Currently, this mod doesn't say that it is available for RC2.0, so that is probably the main reason for the error and the missing strings.

-img removed-

anewhobby

oh lol.. well that would explain it :) Bummer....

Has anyone been able to get it running in rc2? This modis perfect for my needs.

anewhobby

I installed a new copy of "SMF 1.1.10 " and it still will not install.. the mod says it is made for "1.1.7".... should I switch to 1.1.7  - I am still in the "setup stage there is no data i need to transfer...

Should I switch to 1.1.7?
Is there a way to get it to install on 1.1.10?
Is this Mod still in dev and there could be a update to RC2 soonish?... as in should i just wait a bit?

C4G-TK

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to manually install the mod by doing the edits needed and FTP the files (mostly images) to the appropriate directories in order to get it to work.  I no longer have a 1.1.X forum and have switched to SMF20 with RC1.2 and RC2 forums.

But, like I said, it should work if you manually install.

-img removed-

anewhobby

Well I am trying ot get the mod running in RC2.... but there is just 2 edits that error in the pack install.... . .

mward29

I would like to know the answer to this as well if possible.
Please modify for v2.0 RC2. Would be huge help.

mward29

I'm manually installing this. Anyone get installDatabase.php to work?

karanthsrihari

Is there any plans of making it 1.1.11 compatible? Thanks.
http://onlinefundb.com [nofollow] - Online Fun Database

Fjody

Hi,

it seems that "rate that topic" is exactly what I'm looking for. That's the main reason why I intend to use SMF instead of phpBB on my new website. But...
I tried SMF 1.1.11 and 2.0 RC2 and unfortunatelly it isn't working on neither of these versions.

Any chance to update it to get it work with SMF 2.0 RC2 or SMF 1.1.1? (Don't know which one is better and mostly used, as I'm just a fresh newbie).

Thanks for the answer.

Spoogs

Post Ratings works great on RC2, just enable first post rating to use as a topic rating ;)

Fjody

Spoogs:
Thanks for your advice and yes I have already tried it. Unfortunately I need to see the average ratings next to the topic name list. Such rating should average all the posts ratings and be displayed in the topic list.

Example:
Topic: The quality of BMW cars.
Post no. 1: 3 stars, post no. 2: 5 stars, post no. 3: 1 star.
The rating of the whole topic is 3 stars in average. You can rate just your own post, not the other ones. So the average rating means the average meaning about the BMW quality.

I think "rate that topic" can do this, but I'm not sure about the "post rating".

Spoogs

Post Ratings is pretty flexible, maybe check with the mod author he might be able to help you with the settings you want or possibly add what you need. (just a thought)

SoLoGHoST

OK.  Post Ratings is for Posts Only.  However adding an average ratings for all posts within a topic is doable and can be displayed on the topic page.  So this is something I will add for this mod in the next update for you.  However, users are not able to rate their own posts.  I have coded it so that they are not able to rate their own posts.  It just didn't make any sense to me to allow users to rate their own post.  Is this what you want???  Because that is what I read.

Cheers :)

Fjody

SoLoGHoST:

Yes, exactly. Users should be able to RATE just their own POSTS, but NOT THE OTHER ONES.

It seems strange, but as I wrote before, I need to find out the average OPINIONS of the USERS about the TOPIC.
So, when the Topic name is "BMW quality" and everyone writes a post and rates only his own post, you can see the average meaning of the people about the BMW quality. In the topic lists you would see all the average ratings for Audi, Mercedes etc. - just an example.

P.S. I use the SMF just for one day but I am pretty supprised by it's possibilities and ease of use. It seems much better and flexible than phpBB. Now I'm just looking for such TOPic RATING mod :-)

SoLoGHoST

Are you saying that users should be able to rate all posts within their OWN TOPICS ONLY??  I still don't follow you on this.  And if you are saying this, than what about other users??  Other users will not be able to rate any posts within that topic, only the Topic creator, right?  But Still, only 1 rating for each post within this topic.  Though I can see how this could be useful.  Let me know if this is what you want, k?

If users are only able to rate their own posts, than the most ratings you will have for each post is 1!  The user rating their own post.  How does this help at all???  What's to stop that user from rating his post 5 STARS for every post?  And everyone else will do the same thing.  All topics will have an average of 5 STARS.  Again, I ask, how does this help??

Fjody

SoLoGHoST: I mean rating my own POSTS, not my own THREAD, TOPIC. Anyone can write a post and rate his own post to the topic. The TOPIC should then display the average rating for all the posts, all the users.

I think example could help me to describe the main idea:

I start a topic: What do you think of the BMW quality, write and rate JUST MY OWN POST: "BMW is just an average car", 3 stars rating.
Someone else will write: "I got my own BMW and it's an excellent car". 5 stars rating.
Someone else will write: "I had 3 BMW's, but it was a junk". 1 star rating.

The average rating in the TOPIS LIST would be (3+5+1 / 3) = 3 stars. Users can write a second post in the topic, but they can't rate it for the second time. When someone comes on the the website he can see the "average ratings (average opinions)" for every single topic:

Topic: What is the BMW quality: 3 stars (average rating of all the e.g. 346 people)
Topic: How about Audi?: 5 stars (average rating of all the 996 people)
Topis: What is your rating for Mercedes? 2 stars (average rating of all the 4573 people)
etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

SoLoGHoST

Ohh, I follow you now.  You are gearing more towards a Topic Ratings MOD, where the user places their rating with their posts, rating the first post within that topic. hmmmm.

This will take a lot of work to implement.  Perhaps I will add this ability and there will be 2 options to choose from within the Post Ratings Admin Panel for this.  Post Ratings or Topic Ratings.  If user selects Post Ratings, than this will be the options and features that it already has now, if Topic Ratings are selected, than users will be able to place a rating when posting or editing their posts instead.

Well, like I said this requires a lot more work and more thought behind it, but I see how this could be helpful.  And posts will still display the rating, and create an average rating for the Topic as well.  I think the name of this mod may need to be changed from Post Ratings to just Ratings, but maybe not.  We'll see.

Cheers, and thanks for explaining this a bit better.

Spoogs

SoLo... maybe adding an option to enable Rate 1st post only would provide an actual topic rating feature (since some seem to be looking for that) The name would still be Post Rating ;)

SoLoGHoST

No, I don't think that is the answer to this, as users may want to still have Post Ratings enabled and allow the 1st post to be rated.  So this would actually take away a feature.  No probs, will still keep the name as Post Ratings, since users are actually leaving their ratings within posts still.

Cheers :)

Fjody

I think, the individual rating should be visible in every post.
So you can see how the Topic/Subject (e.g. BMW quality) was rated by every single person, that wrote a Post/Opinion. Then, in the Topic list, the average rating should be visible

1. Please see the attachment picture. It is from "Rate that topic" mod and the "started by" column is not necessary, but the "topic rating stars" are displayed in a very nice way.
2. Maybe some people would welcome 10 instead of just 5 stars, or some kind of percentage rating 0-100 %.

Advertisement: