News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Display Problems

Started by riker, September 09, 2008, 08:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riker

I seem to have display problems with SMF 2.0 (beta4) which I didn't have with SMF 1.1.x

Attached are examples using IE8 & Opera

riker

I've noticed another problem on the Help pages using Firefox 3 (see screenshot).  It's worse than that on IE8 but when you click the compatibility button it sorts that out

riker

Has no one else noticed this after 4 betas ?

kazmack

I've noticed it aswell yep.

<?netwire>

I have another display issue with 2.0 beta 4, the theme "Outline" shows a lot of whitespace between the top of a post and the actual content.

riker

Quote from: <?netwire> on September 11, 2008, 02:02:21 PM
I have another display issue with 2.0 beta 4, the theme "Outline" shows a lot of whitespace between the top of a post and the actual content.

had that too but clicked compatability on IE8 (beta2) and that fixed it.  I thought the beta team would have noticed all these easy to spot display issues

kith

Popsikle

Try adding this to the theme's css file.  It fixed it for me.

/* ************************************* */
/* Added to make b4 compat               */

ul, ul li {
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
list-style: none;
}

ul.normallist {
padding-left: 2em;
}

ul.normallist li {
list-style: disc;
}

.post ul {
padding-left: 2em;
}

.post ul li {
list-style: disc;
}

.post ul li li {
list-style: circle;
}

.floatright {
float: right;
}

.floatleft {
float: left;
}

ul.horizlist {
width: 100%;
}

ul.horizlist li {
float: left;
padding: 0.2em 0.4em 0.2em 0.4em;
vertical-align: top;
}

ul.nolist li {
display: inline;
}

.clearfix:after {
    content: ".";
    display: block;
    height: 0;
    clear: both;
    visibility: hidden;
}

.clearfix {
display: inline-block;
}

/* Hides from IE-mac. \*/
* html .clearfix {
height: 1%;
}
.clearfix {
display: block;
}
/* End hide from IE-mac. */

/* End Add                               */

riker

Quote from: kith on September 11, 2008, 05:02:42 PM
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=261204.msg1702878;topicseen#msg1702878

Having the same thing with the gap and post, what is this compatibility thing you ticked?

Here it is.  Remember I said IE8 Beta 2

kith

Thanks for your replies both.

Haven't confirmed what browser he is using but I'll mention that if he's using Beta8.

I tried pasting the code which doesn't include line breaks when I do any of this pasting (grrr) but manually did that but it made no difference unless I added it in wrong place (I put it at the end of the CSS?)

However when testing on my second PC at 1024 mode I noticed that only certain posts had it and I noticed only from certain members. This got me thinking because the gaps went past the profile info on the left below the avatars was it avvy related. My avvys are set to be max 140 wide, I just changed this to 120 in the settings and low and behold it's fixed. Now my uploaded Avvy is 140 wide and even after changing the setting in the Admin to 120 it keeps my 140 avvy and displays correctly.

So it doesn't seem to be the Avvy causing this but perhaps the spacing after the avvy forcing the table over therefore pushing the postdown and creating the gap?
So where is this spacing which i am guessing is something like a 10px gap which I can then alter to 0 and fix?

Maybe someone else with this issue can perhaps try reducing their Avvy width down by 10 or 20 pixels and see if it fixes too?

kith

Okay bang goes my theory it fixed it for my machine locally but the guy having trouble on my forum says it's not fixed it for him on both explorer and firefox in 1280 res.
I give up :)

riker

Quote from: kith on September 12, 2008, 05:33:34 AM
Okay bang goes my theory it fixed it for my machine locally but the guy having trouble on my forum says it's not fixed it for him on both explorer and firefox in 1280 res.
I give up :)

SMF have been very quite on this thus far

kith

Latest from the guy having issues on my board

"well this will F**K ya
it is intermittent as reading back every post You and I just made were gappy .. but your last one wasn't, it is IE 6"

riker

Quote from: kith on September 12, 2008, 06:06:50 AM
Latest from the guy having issues on my board

"well this will F**K ya
it is intermittent as reading back every post You and I just made were gappy .. but your last one wasn't, it is IE 6"

I never thought I'd say this about a beta but I though the prevous had less bugs.  My sons site still has that running sweat and not one display problem

<?netwire>

I did the above code mod, and it fixed the display issue with the user information portion of the post but it still has a rather large gap between the top of a post and the actual content.

MultiformeIngegno

I can reproduce these errors, I hope the team will quickly fix all of them... :(
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Popsikle

Quote from: <?netwire> on September 13, 2008, 03:23:16 PM
I did the above code mod, and it fixed the display issue with the user information portion of the post but it still has a rather large gap between the top of a post and the actual content.

Can you attach post a link to your site please?

MultiformeIngegno

Quote from: Popsikle on September 13, 2008, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: <?netwire> on September 13, 2008, 03:23:16 PM

Can you attach post a link to your site please?
I think it's the one in <?netwire>'s profile...
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Rumbaar

Try clearing your cache, browser and forum based.  I think after the upgrade a mixture of old and new content it corrupting the display at times.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Douglas

This is a known bug for IE 6 and 7/other browsers.  I'm submitting a bug report for this now, as I've experienced this on Hogville, as well.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Advertisement: