News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] vBulletin 3.7

Started by SleePy, September 17, 2008, 03:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sincere

I would really appreciate any help guys.

I have converted my forums and everything went smoothly.

except........  except that in the final outcome all smf text appears in correct arabic, but names of my categories and boards is in Garbage characters.

I did choose during the conversion to use arabic-utf8

the encoding of my forum webpages is correctly in urf-8

any idea ??? I tried switching the browser encoding to any other possibility.... nothing gave the expected arabic characters.
Do you need a special mod for your smf forums? contact me for a quote.

Sincere

let me explain a bit more

smf is rendering data in the mysql db exactly as it is, as I see it in phpmyadmin, meaning that arabic characters are recorded therein as garbage characters and are rendered exactly as is.

Sincere

laogui

I can not convert attachment to SMF

king999

can u tell me in breif how to do that can i install first vbulliten in my host then do this onvert or simple use this convert.php

Sincere

ok that is it. we are being ignored. Sleepy is not even providing help with the vbulletin converter...

What should we do ?

we are stuck

we are unable to move forward with the conversion and we are not getting the help we need

Sincere

converting from vb3.8 to smf 2.0 rc3 using the vb3.7 converter I get stuck at this stage:

convert.php?step=1&substep=9&start=12600
Converting...
Converting posts (this may take some time)...
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY null' at line 203

Norv

Can you please tell, do you use the converter as available on the Downloads > Converters page? That is the latest available version.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Sincere

Quote from: Norv on July 19, 2010, 04:13:37 PM
Can you please tell, do you use the converter as available on the Downloads > Converters page? That is the latest available version.

Yes Norv. Yes Yes. we are using the very last version of the vbulletin converter available online on the downloads section, and it is terribly failing us.

your help would be very appreciated.

vbulletin has screwed up on their promise: even an OWNED licence now needs a new payment to be able to patch security updates......  hence, you certainly would be seeing more and more people converting...... if the converter works.

I am ready to pay money for that..... here is my promise: help me convert vbulletin 3.8.6 to smf (any version) and I would immediately be a charter member.

I really need a working vb - smf converter......  if possible, one that keeps private message too and that does not fail on avatars and other non-necessary stuff such as signature images.....

Norv

Unfortunately my schedule is a complete mess for a number of objective reasons, so I cannot have a good timeframe as to when I can possibly get again to this.
However, I will try doing so, when I can. If you can make available to me the database dump, it would help.

I am certain we had successful conversions from 3.8, so it should be a little odd thing going on presumably easy to spot.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Sincere

Quote from: Norv on July 20, 2010, 05:42:23 AM
Unfortunately my schedule is a complete mess for a number of objective reasons, so I cannot have a good timeframe as to when I can possibly get again to this.
However, I will try doing so, when I can. If you can make available to me the database dump, it would help.

I am certain we had successful conversions from 3.8, so it should be a little odd thing going on presumably easy to spot.

hello Norv.
I am more than ready to fully cooperate on this.

we can work on this step by step, hand in hand.
let me know if this evening is an option for you.

Norv

Evening according to which timezone?  O:)  :D

However, I'm afraid that anyway I cannot guarantee an online presence at a particular time on this, but I am very often present. Eventually, we could:
- I'll get to this asap, and attach a file useful for debugging, so that we get a better error message, and go from there step by step.
- you can send me a backup of your database, and I'll try replicating the issue myself. Please do not do this unless you are certain you want to and are able to, since I need a full backup and I fully understand there are confidential data in it, which no one should share unless they decide so.

Sincere

Quote from: Norv on July 20, 2010, 06:21:23 AM
Evening according to which timezone?  O:)  :D

However, I'm afraid that anyway I cannot guarantee an online presence at a particular time on this, but I am very often present. Eventually, we could:
- I'll get to this asap, and attach a file useful for debugging, so that we get a better error message, and go from there step by step.
- you can send me a backup of your database, and I'll try replicating the issue myself. Please do not do this unless you are certain you want to and are able to, since I need a full backup and I fully understand there are confidential data in it, which no one should share unless they decide so.

thank you for your kind and prompt reply.
you know very well I can't give you a dump of my database. First it is confidential as you mentioned, second, it is 1GB!!

would you please still help me '?? I have added you to my msn messenger for direct interaction. let me know please when you are online.

Norv

As I said, whether you wish to share a database backup is entirely your choice. I don't "know" whether you wish or not, it is your choice. I completely understand and there is no problem whatsoever, if you do not feel comfortable with doing so. (The size is not a problem, but that is not the point.)

Of course I will try to help. However, I am not interested in a paid job on the matter, for all I understand, it falls under the assistance we, the SMF Team, provide for free, on these forums. I'm afraid I will restrict to these forums, however, these forums exist for exactly that: free support. I never provide assistance on instant messengers, I do not have that kind of time and never do that, sorry.

About the problem at hand:
Please try this:
Keep a backup copy of your original file Subs-Db-mysql.php, and restore it after working on the conversion; then, in Subs-Db-mysql.php:
Code (find) Select

// Here's where the variables are injected to the query.
$insertRows = array();
foreach ($data as $dataRow)
$insertRows[] = smf_db_quote($insertData, array_combine($indexed_columns, $dataRow), $connection);

Code (replace) Select

echo "indexed_columns:<br>";
var_dump($indexed_columns);
echo "<br>";
$insertRows = array();
foreach ($data as $dataRow) {
echo "dataRow: <br>";
var_dump($dataRow);
echo "<br>";
$insertRows[] = smf_db_quote($insertData, array_combine($indexed_columns, $dataRow), $connection);
}

Then, run the conversion again. Please post the last query and error message on the page (copy paste, or attach a screenshot, or both, as you see fit).

Sincere

thank you. am doing that right now. I will update you as soon as I have news.

Sincere

to be certain am doing this correctly, I have just dropped all tables in my smf database and am re-installing the smf forum from scratch.

I will then  use this converter

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc3_vbulletin3_converter.zip

Sincere

Quote from: Sincere on July 20, 2010, 06:34:11 PM
to be certain am doing this correctly, I have just dropped all tables in my smf database and am re-installing the smf forum from scratch.

I will then  use this converter

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc3_vbulletin3_converter.zip

hey Norv. did you mean in your earlier post to say that we should rather be using this ?
http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc3_vbulletin37_converter.zip

Norv

Yes, please use the converter from vbulletin 3.7, if you have 3.8, it was tested and it did work with a number of 3.8 databases.

Sincere

Quote from: Norv on July 20, 2010, 06:17:53 PM
As I said, whether you wish to share a database backup is entirely your choice. I don't "know" whether you wish or not, it is your choice. I completely understand and there is no problem whatsoever, if you do not feel comfortable with doing so. (The size is not a problem, but that is not the point.)

Of course I will try to help. However, I am not interested in a paid job on the matter, for all I understand, it falls under the assistance we, the SMF Team, provide for free, on these forums. I'm afraid I will restrict to these forums, however, these forums exist for exactly that: free support. I never provide assistance on instant messengers, I do not have that kind of time and never do that, sorry.

About the problem at hand:
Please try this:
Keep a backup copy of your original file Subs-Db-mysql.php, and restore it after working on the conversion; then, in Subs-Db-mysql.php:
Code (find) Select

$insertRows = array();
foreach ($data as $dataRow)

Code (replace) Select

echo "indexed_columns:<br>";
var_dump($indexed_columns);
echo "<br>";
$insertRows = array();
foreach ($data as $dataRow) {
echo "dataRow: <br>";
var_dump($dataRow);
echo "<br>";
}

Then, run the conversion again. Please post the last query and error message on the page (copy paste, or attach a screenshot, or both, as you see fit).

Hey Norv.

I tried 3 times yesterday.......

I think the code replacement that you recommended here above (quoted again here) outputs extra debugging information.

The little problem with this is that the conversion in this way outputs so much text that it crashed both IE and FF on my little notebook. I will have to try this conversion again on my solid dekstop this evening.

LadyAngel

Hi, I realise the converter from vB4 to smf is not around yet, but I've managed to convert with just one problem...the attachments have converted, but they are not showing up in the posts. What can I do about this?

Thanks

Advertisement: