Sisyphus

Started by digger, November 21, 2011, 03:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Downloaded the zip file from - https://github.com/realdigger/SMF-Sisyphus/releases/tag/v2.0.1

When upload was attempted via Package Manager > Download Package > Upload a Package, received this error:

"Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty.  ......"

I'll try the tar.gz and report shortly.

Edit
Ps - why isn't in the SMF mod site?

brynn

Ok, the tar.gz file worked, and installed without any problems.

On testing, I find that sometimes the message field doesn't get cleared, and sometimes it does.  It has not been happening consistently, so it's hard to test.

Will keep it installed until I can gather some concrete facts.

Thank you very much for working on this!!

brynn

Ok, after a week of testing, the only time the message doesn't get cleared, is if you type into the text field, but decide not to post.  The next time you go to reply, you have to delete what you decided not to post last time.

All in all, I'm going to keep it installed.  It doesn't happen very often that I start to type, but then change my mind about posting.

Thank you very much!  Happy Camper  :D

brynn

Hi again,
I've run into a case where this mod is not saving the message.  I have a 60 second delay on posting, to help prevent spam.  But I also have a member who is part roadrunner.

So if the next post is made in less than 60 seconds, an error message is displayed, and the message isn't saved.  Would it be possible to have the message saved, in this situation?

I don't think this would allow spammers to obfuscate the time limit.  Even though their message would be saved, they still would not be able to post for another 60 sec.  But yet my speedy members could retrieve the message which they had previously composed.

I looked through Permissions, and I might have missed it, but I didn't find where this might be changed for different membergroups.  That would actually be my preferred solution.  Because really, spammers are always newbies.  I've never seen an established member suddenly turn into a spammer.  But afaict, it doesn't exist.  Not unless it's using some language that I don't comprehend.

Specifically, this option is Admin Panel > Forum > Posts and Topics > Post settings > Time required between posts from the same IP address.
The Sisyphus version is 2.0.1.  SMF just upgraded to 2.0.15.  Let me know if any further info is needed.

Would this kind of change be possible for this mod?

Thank you very much  :)

digger

Quote from: brynn on January 14, 2018, 07:00:17 AM
Hi again,
I've run into a case where this mod is not saving the message.  I have a 60 second delay on posting, to help prevent spam.  But I also have a member who is part roadrunner.

So if the next post is made in less than 60 seconds, an error message is displayed, and the message isn't saved.  Would it be possible to have the message saved, in this situation?

I don't think this would allow spammers to obfuscate the time limit.  Even though their message would be saved, they still would not be able to post for another 60 sec.  But yet my speedy members could retrieve the message which they had previously composed.

I looked through Permissions, and I might have missed it, but I didn't find where this might be changed for different membergroups.  That would actually be my preferred solution.  Because really, spammers are always newbies.  I've never seen an established member suddenly turn into a spammer.  But afaict, it doesn't exist.  Not unless it's using some language that I don't comprehend.

Specifically, this option is Admin Panel > Forum > Posts and Topics > Post settings > Time required between posts from the same IP address.
The Sisyphus version is 2.0.1.  SMF just upgraded to 2.0.15.  Let me know if any further info is needed.

Would this kind of change be possible for this mod?

Thank you very much  :)

I don't think that it's easy to do in mod, because the form is already sent when the required time is checked.
I believe that this is the wrong behavior of the SMF itself. In this case, it should show an error and the message text should be restored, not dropped.

You can turn on this option, then when you return back after error, the text you typed will remain in the form from browser cache
Admin - Configuration  - Server Settings - Cookies and Sessions -  Allow browsers to go back to cached pages

brynn

QuoteI don't think that it's easy to do in mod, because the form is already sent when the required time is checked.

I don't understand what you mean by the form being already sent, because I don't understand the technical side of how the forum works.  I just know what I observe when I click.  Do you mean since the Post button was clicked, the message is gone and you can't get it back?

QuoteI believe that this is the wrong behavior of the SMF itself. In this case, it should show an error and the message text should be restored, not dropped.

Are you saying this should be a bug?  Or more of a non-existant new feature? Or other?

QuoteYou can turn on this option, then when you return back after error, the text you typed will remain in the form from browser cache
Admin - Configuration  - Server Settings - Cookies and Sessions -  Allow browsers to go back to cached pages

As I said, I don't understand how the forum works in a technical way.  So please forgive the ignorance.  But somehow I have the impression that whatever might be typed in the text fields, whether in Quick Reply or the full editor, doesn't get to be part of the cache, until it's posted.  Doesn't text have to be actually posted, to become cached?

I'm probably wrong about that.  But what about the help info associated with that option:

QuoteTurning this on will decrease the bandwidth your forum uses, and make it so clicking back will not reload the page - the downside is that the (new) icons won't update, among other things. (unless you click to that page instead of going back to it.)

I'm not sure what "(new) icons" are, or the "among other things" either.  But doesn't that mean that anytime someone uses the browser back button, it will re-load the cached page (instead of only for this error)?  It seems a little bit like overkill.  Plus I would worry about getting complaints -- if not about "(new) icons" whatever they are, then "other things" whatever they are.

"(new) icons" -- The icon which tells you there are new messages on a board?  Or the icon that tells you there are new messages in a topic?  I'm not sure I could do without either....  Hhm....Oh, does it mean if I use the Back button, it won't be showing any new messages which might have been posted since I left that page?

Actually, I think I might have used a forum once which was set to show cached pages on Back, and it drove me nuts.  It was always Back and Refresh, instead of just Back.

digger

Quote from: brynn on January 14, 2018, 01:35:36 PM
QuoteI don't think that it's easy to do in mod, because the form is already sent when the required time is checked.

I don't understand what you mean by the form being already sent, because I don't understand the technical side of how the forum works.  I just know what I observe when I click.  Do you mean since the Post button was clicked, the message is gone and you can't get it back?
Message is considered to be sent when the Post button was clicked. Mod doesn't know what happened next, message already sent in any case.

QuoteI believe that this is the wrong behavior of the SMF itself. In this case, it should show an error and the message text should be restored, not dropped.

Are you saying this should be a bug?  Or more of a non-existant new feature? Or other?
It's a non-existant feature. Message shouldn't be dropped if a not crirical error occurred.

adapa

Quote from: digger on January 18, 2018, 07:14:29 PM
Message is considered to be sent when the Post button was clicked. Mod doesn't know what happened next, message already sent in any case.
It's a non-existant feature. Message shouldn't be dropped if a not crirical error occurred.

Thanks for your work on this mod. it's a life saver. imo it should be in the top 20 mods for smf- maybe i'll do a list ;)

Grammy

So, just wondering.....   I understand that this functions in the event of a browser crash but our problem has been people getting logged out and forgetting to save their work, then when they log back in, it's all gone.  Should this also work in that scenario?

Thanks.   :)

vbgamer45

Also any chance for WYSIWYG support?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Mick.

Quote from: Grammy on January 24, 2021, 07:33:58 PM
So, just wondering.....   I understand that this functions in the event of a browser crash but our problem has been people getting logged out and forgetting to save their work, then when they log back in, it's all gone.  Should this also work in that scenario?

See the first post...

Mick.

Quote from: Grammy on January 24, 2021, 07:33:58 PM

Not to Ninja this support thread but see this, one of mine...... you can add a message to the post window. https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1484

Grammy

Quote from: Mick. on January 24, 2021, 08:45:48 PMNot to Ninja this support thread but see this, one of mine...... you can add a message to the post window. https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1484

Awesome, thanks, Mick!   :D  (And my message will say, 'SAVE your work!') 

Advertisement: