News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Settings - Address Change

Started by a454nova, November 16, 2008, 03:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a454nova

OK. Here is what I did, dont make fun of me.   ;D

I use godaddy and used a email that i never check. Needless to say my domain expiered and they wanted $90 to pull it out of redemption. I said f that and got a new domain. Well, the forum is setup with the old address and I need to make a little address change.

Where do i do that? Please and Thank-yous!

Nova

Marcus Forsberg

Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > Core Configuration > Forum URL
:)

a454nova

I have no access to the forum. I need a back door to edit the address. When I go to the forum and login it errors because its stuck on the old domain.   :(

Kermit

Maybe you have access to your ftp How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

and you can change it via repair_settings.php    
What is repair_settings.php?

My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

Marcus Forsberg

Or, you could simply use FTP, and open Settings.php.
In there, you'll see $boardurl = ' OLD DOMAIN';
Change it to $boardurl = ' NEW DOMAIN';

You can basically change all of the most important settings from there when you're in a emergency.

a454nova

Ok, this just got bad. That's what I did and it still loads my old. When I go to sign in it directs using the old domain. All settings are changed. I thought that was where I change it.

a454nova

OK... hear was the problem. FYI about godaddy.

I switch the domain on my host account. When you do that, they copy everything over to a new account. Everything I had was pointing to the new account and I was accessing the old. Everything I was changing never really changed. Be aware that if you make big changes like that.... I will take a while, 6 to 72 hours to change.

Thanks for all the help!

Nova

Advertisement: