Multiple accounts from same computer/email

Started by spaarks, December 02, 2008, 06:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaarks

How can I allow multiple accounts from the same computer (IP) and from the same email address?

Oldiesmann

SMF does not support multiple accounts from the same email address.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

spaarks

Yes I know.
What I intended to ask was if there was any workaround, such as there is in smf 1... (by changing an entry in the database).

ke4obt

*BUMP*
*BUMP*

I'd like to be able to do this too. Working on a family site where the kids can get in, but we want it so they can use the same e-mail as the parents.
Thanks Much

Flip - KE4OBT
     The Blind Ham
Helping other blind hams
get on the air!

Yes I am really a BLIND user!

So, if a mod doesn't install properly, and I can't get help from your part of the forum,
I will come begging for YOUR help since you wrote it and know how it works
um, uh, well,
At least I would really, really hope you do!
HEE-HEE-HEE

Rumbaar

Due to tracking and verification requirements SMF doesn't allow this.  I've seen this asked a few times, you might want to search the various threads on this and see if there was a 'hack' to do this.

Most ISP and/or services allow multiple e-mail accounts.  Where a solution is for those families to create multiple account controlled by the parent/s and thus allow for them to control and access each account but different emails.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

HR

Can IP be added to this.. I seem to have a number of accounts registering and cloning an IP and I find it most annoying.

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.
If I do it and you implement it its a crap shoot.

robg2251

Just checking to see if there's been a fix for this.  I think folks in this thread are asking for different, but the same thing:   Do not allow people to register multiple usernames under one IP address.   It seems like such an easy task.   Our site is flooded with people that have multiple personalities.   We have a rule against it, but can't possibly go through all members to catch each one of them.  On the flip side, it should be a check box, a yes or no (let them register multiple accounts under one IP or, no..  don't let them).

Maybe this is already in the back-end somewhere.. am I just missing it?

aishaweb

Quote from: robg2251 on February 09, 2009, 05:50:27 AM
Just checking to see if there's been a fix for this.  I think folks in this thread are asking for different, but the same thing:   Do not allow people to register multiple usernames under one IP address.   It seems like such an easy task.   Our site is flooded with people that have multiple personalities.   We have a rule against it, but can't possibly go through all members to catch each one of them.  On the flip side, it should be a check box, a yes or no (let them register multiple accounts under one IP or, no..  don't let them).

Maybe this is already in the back-end somewhere.. am I just missing it?

This is a totally different issue than the original post, but, just ban the IPs of the multiple accounts, set it so they cant post, you will soon get PMs from them complaining they cant post, explain that its due to multiple accounts, tell them to pick one account and stick to it, if they keep doing it extend the ban period or make it permanant and a full no access ban.

Advertisement: