News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Index.php loads in 30 seconds.

Started by donjoe, December 06, 2008, 02:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Hostname lookups are what translates the raw IPs into their name equivalents. Sometimes, the host will have poor DNS resolution and you'll need to turn that off inside SMF. If you are using the 1.1 edition, it's in Layout and Options.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

donjoe

OK, now it's turned off. Problem still not gone.

donjoe

Should I expect any clear improvement from upgrading to v2.0 beta or are there many/significant incompatibilities between v1.1.7 and v2.0?

Oldiesmann

I wouldn't expect any improvement from SMF 2.0 as it's likely something with the server configuration and not the software itself.

Open up Settings.php and add this line to it someplace:

$db_show_debug = true;

That will show you some debugging info at the bottom of the forum which you can use to help figure out which queries are taking so long.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

donjoe

Thanks, but that doesn't make sense in light of the information gathered so far. The exact same queries will sometimes work normally and sometimes take 30 seconds. This means it's not a problem with a particular query or file.

青山 素子

If it is the exact same query and you get wildly varying times that it takes to complete (the debug output should help confirm that), then it is 99% likely a server configuration issue.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

donjoe

Does seem that way. Now since I've had the host try moving me to a different server with a different MySQL version and that didn't fix the problem, the next thing I'd like to try would be to host it myself, just as a test, not permanently. Would it be enough to install Apache, PHP and MySQL and just access the forum at my IP (maybe via proxy so it's more realistic)?

donjoe

OK, I haven't tried the self-hosting option because I don't have the time to figure out all the details about installing everything properly on my machine.

However, a couple of days ago after one of my slow (30-second) loads I didn't get the page I requested, but only this error message:
"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/ateiro/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(1734) : eval()'d code on line 658"

What "maximum execution time" is it talking about? Where would this maximum be configured?

The line it's referencing is in this code:
Code (Load.php) Select
1731:    // Are we going to use eval?
1732:    if (empty($modSettings['disableTemplateEval']))
1733:    {
1734:    $file_found = file_exists($filename) && eval('?' . '>' . rtrim(file_get_contents($filename))) !== false;
1735:    $settings['current_include_filename'] = $filename;
1736:    }
1737:    else
, namely the $file_found assignment. Is is possible something's wrong with a template or whatever it's trying to load? How do I find out?

Thanks.

SlammedDime

Looks like that was caused by a template file.  Unfortuantely, the only way to find out the real file and line issue is to disable template eval and then try to reproduce the error, then it will tell you the real file and line number of the error.

Run this query in phpMyAdmin:
REPLACE INTO smf_settings VALUES ('disableTemplateEval', 1);
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

donjoe

Quote from: SlammedDime on January 28, 2009, 10:22:26 AMthe only way to find out the real file and line issue is to disable template eval and then try to reproduce the error, then it will tell you the real file and line number of the error.
Aw, no, that happened only once in the two months since I started having the problem in this topic. I could end up trying forever before it happened again.

The latest disappointment/information about the problem is this: I've put up a December copy of the forum on MonteCarloHosting.net:
http://208.43.95.108/~ateiroco/forum/index.php
... and I'm still getting the 30-second page loads. :(

At least I now know for a fact it's not the server's fault - too many others have SMFs on MonteCarlo, working just dandy.

SlammedDime

can you zip up a copy of your board and send me a copy so I can diff the files versus a clean copy to see all of the file changes?  Remember to leave the packages and attachments directory out of the zip file, that will bloat it tooooo much.  You can try and email it to [email protected], and if it fails, post a copy of it on your site and send me a link to it via PM so I can download it.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

donjoe

Oops, stupid me. All the links in the new copy of the forum were pointing to the old one, so the load time I was seeing was still from the old forum. When I corrected the URL manually in the address bar everything worked fine. :)

So my solution was a host change after all - to MonteCarloHosting.net.

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: