registration stopped working

Started by =<|Skary|>=, December 09, 2008, 12:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=<|Skary|>=

i'm sure it was something i did, but i don't know what. i logged out of my website to create a test account, but when i clicked the register button, it just went to a blank page. idk how this happened or what i need to do to fix it. i can still log in, but not register. i tried replacing the register.php file with the original i took straight from the download, but it didn't help. which leads me to believe the problem lies somewhere else. any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

CH mod the files of the website recursively to 777. It might solve it.

Oldiesmann

Flamer, that won't help things. If that were an issue, the entire forum would be inaccessible.

Skary, are there any errors in your forum error log?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Oldiesmann on December 09, 2008, 12:35:52 PM
Flamer, that won't help things. If that were an issue, the entire forum would be inaccessible.

Skary, are there any errors in your forum error log?

Well, it can sometimes be that register.template.php might have not been available to read. Hence might have caused. Possible ?

Oldiesmann

It's possible, but not very likely since they ddin't make any changes and registration had been working fine. Even so, they'd only need to chmod that file not the entire forum.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

yea well, i just said cause it might solve other things by any chance as mostly if there is problem in that file, it is mostly with other file permissions aswell. Although i accept it should be only that file. :)

=<|Skary|>=

take it easy guys. no need to fight over lil ole me.  :P
the only error i saw pertaining to register was this:

Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://www.digital-demonz.com/index.php?action=register2
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
Unable to send mail to the email address '[email protected]'

I couldn't find where the error logs are actually stored, otherwise i would let you look at all of them.

it looks to me that sending the email was the problem with that one though. the file WAS set for 777, but after i replaced it, it did change. i changed it back to 777 and it didn't help. I looked through the 86 errors, and most of them were related to packages. although i imagine that even those could affect the registration if they are dependent.

I ran the repair_settings in desperation. it did make some minor fixes, but nothing that seemed to change anything or help with registration. When you click the register button, the address bar displays "http://www.digital-demonz.com/index.php?action=register", which is an action within index.php that calls register.php. so the problem is that it is either not being called correctly or it's being called and erroring out immediately. and since i replaced the file with the original, i'm betting the problem is in the index or somewhere else. I looked at the index code and found all the mentions of register, but nothing jumped out at me.

=<|Skary|>=

on top of that, i logged in, and then typed "http://www.digital-demonz.com/index.php?action=register" into the address bar and it took me to the admin registration page. I successfully registered my friend. and if i'm not mistaken, even the admin registration page goes through register.php. right? I'm just graspin at straws.

=<|Skary|>=

HAHAAA! figured it out! it was a theme problem. register works fine in the core theme. so, do i just delete the theme and reinstall it? i don't see an uninstall for themes. btw thanks for your thoughts and trying to help flamer and oldies.

Advertisement: