News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

sending email to 4000 members via SMF

Started by sense, December 09, 2008, 03:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sense

Hi

I'm running a SMF site with 4000 users. I'm on a shared hosting. when I try to email to my users via SMF, it causes server to give an error and I have also got complaints from my host.

most shared hosting accounts come with a 500 email/hour restriction. is there a way to bypass this limit without causing a high server load ?

I don't earn a lot to pay for VPS.

MrPhil

A few possibilities:

1) upgrade to SMF 2.0. It supposedly has email send-rate throttling (check the documentation first).

2) export your address to list as a CSV file and use a mailer like PHPlist, with send-rate throttling. Offhand, I don't know how to export the list, but it shouldn't be a major project (I don't think there's anything built-in to SMF).

3) hack the code to insert a time delay (sleep(7);) after each email is sent. I don't know what side-effects this will have, beyond freezing SMF for a few seconds after sending each email (will anyone but the account doing the mailing notice anything?).

H

sense, do you require any further assistance? :)

Quote2) export your address to list as a CSV file and use a mailer like PHPlist, with send-rate throttling. Offhand, I don't know how to export the list, but it shouldn't be a major project (I don't think there's anything built-in to SMF).

Indeed, you can't do this through SMF, however you can export the table with phpmyadmin and then delete the unneeded columns. What is phpMyAdmin?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: