CountDown BBC

Started by .HuNTeR., December 25, 2008, 04:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.HuNTeR.

Link to Mod

By Shahriar Gholami
Adds a [countdown] bbc tag.
Shows the remaining time until the specified time and when reaches the specified time shows the text between the tags.
Usage :
[countdown=month,day,year,hour,minute]some text[/countdown]
Example :
[countdown=8,14,2009,13,23]It is time now!![/countdown]
Download now and place a Christmas countdown to your forum ;)
Changelog:

1.0 - 18th December 2008
o Initial release.

DareDevil1990

real nice mod...but it would have been even better if u could have made the count down rela time and not the one to be refreshed every time

villasg

A screen shoot please ?
And maybe need and a button ....

[unplugged]

Nice mod!
It also works with SMF 2.0 Beta 4 if you put the code for Post.template.php into Subs-Editor.php. ;)
(And there is a typo in the english language file. "remaning" should be "remaining".)

@villasg
There is a BBC button that gets installed with the mod already.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

Eddy Matthews

I have setup the mod to countdown to an event and it's screwing up the time......

[countdown=9,20,2009,10,0]TODAY is the big day![/countdown]

It's now 7:16am where I am, and the mod is displaying "8 months 22 days 14 hours 54 minutes remaning" which is obviously wrong!

Regards
Eddy

Relyana

Just what I needed :D Great !

Quote« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »

I was like "Huh ? How is that possible ?" Nice sig  !

Kimmie

[unplugged]

Screenshots? It's just text.  :P Looks like this:

5 days,  8 hours 10 minutes remaining.

Then, once that "time/date" has been reached, it would show whatever message you put between the [countdown][/countdown] tags like this:

This is the message from the countdown tag I used 5 days,  8 hours 10 minutes ago.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 08:34:45 PM by SunKing »   <---- « someone stole my sig... :o »

Eddy Matthews

Quote from: Eddy Matthews on December 28, 2008, 02:20:38 AM
I have setup the mod to countdown to an event and it's screwing up the time......

[countdown=9,20,2009,10,0]TODAY is the big day![/countdown]

It's now 7:16am where I am, and the mod is displaying "8 months 22 days 14 hours 54 minutes remaning" which is obviously wrong!

Regards
Eddy

Can anyone help with this? Both my computer and my hosts server are on GMT time, so it's not a case of the time being read from a host server on god knows what time zone...... I can't be the only one that has this problem surely?

Regards
Eddy

[unplugged]

@Kimmie
I am setting up a guest board with the mod in action. I will put a link to it here shortly. You can see it in action here.

@Eddy
I just double checked mine (which I set for 12:01 am New Year's day and it says 1 day 8 hours 2 minutes remaining which is correct.

taha116

Has great potential, could be used for more then just that... Could be used to display an entire post after a certain time etc. Very kool
"The man who smiles when things go wrong has though of someone to blame things on"
I forgot the name
BUY electronic cigarettes with rechargeable batteries as well as flavored refills for cheap prices and only 1-2 dollars of shipping!
http://www.ngcigarettes.com/
~Taha116

nosferatu

Ideal mod for my poll. I've had to tweak the time as it doesn't set for GMT so instead of 1000 end time, it's set for 2030. It then calculates the time correctly. Does the mod get the time from a US server or something?
There's a certain joy in being mad that only madmen know

.HuNTeR.

mod just uses mktime php function and it means its work with server time

Eddy Matthews

Quote from: .HuNTeR. on January 12, 2009, 06:40:26 AM
mod just uses mktime php function and it means its work with server time

It certainly uses the mktime function, but it's not picking up my server time..... My Host server is set to GMT, but the mod gives a time which is about 10 hours out :(

I can't see anything wrong with the code, but something is wrong somewhere....

Regards
Eddy

ke4obt

Thanks for the realy cool mod, it's great!!
Now can it be redone and renamed e.g. "News display Timer mod" or something and take-out the visible time remaining part?
If so it would be great for use in the news area of a website, and what do I need to change in the code to make CDBBC use my forum time witch is set to UTC but the server time is set to mounten -7 hr. behind UTC and does not change.
As a blind user I would need realy good step by step directions on how and where to look e.g. file to edit and what to look for and change .
If this is doable please let me know.

Thanks Again and great work.
Flip
Thanks Much

Flip - KE4OBT
     The Blind Ham
Helping other blind hams
get on the air!

Yes I am really a BLIND user!

So, if a mod doesn't install properly, and I can't get help from your part of the forum,
I will come begging for YOUR help since you wrote it and know how it works
um, uh, well,
At least I would really, really hope you do!
HEE-HEE-HEE

.HuNTeR.

@ke4obt i don't get what you mean:
"Now can it be redone and renamed e.g. "News display Timer mod" or something and take-out the visible time remaining part?"
do you mean something to count up?

and for changing base time in this version it isn't possible

ke4obt

Hey Hunter,

What part would I change / edit to do this From Message Above.
And would like this part not to show "7 minutes remaning.",
that-way I could use it with the news section of SMF, hence the rename, that way they could both be installed without conflicting with each other. Also is it normal that bbc tags placed inside other bbc tags not work? Please forgive me for asking realy goofball questions but I'm just startting to get comfortable with the software, (Realy Scares the Poo out of the wife ).

Thanks Flip
Thanks Much

Flip - KE4OBT
     The Blind Ham
Helping other blind hams
get on the air!

So, if a mod doesn't install properly, and I can't get help from your part of the forum,
um, uh, well,
HEE-HEE-HEE

.HuNTeR.

@ke4obt
it seems you want change the base time of countdown?
it isn't possible (at least in this version)

and also you want remove the minute part
it isn't possible also (at least in this version) :D

and it isn't normal

ke4obt

Hello and Good-Morning Hunter,

Ok on the base time, and the only thing I realy wanted to do is to hide the "time" and the "time remaining" that shows before the hiden text is shown, just for use in the builtin news section under news and newsletters. That-way my users would not be able to tell I have something special for them to see on a certen date.
So if you can tinker around with your code and maybe some other code and figure something out or if you could point me in the right direction I'll take a look see.
Again thanks for letting me ramble on.
Have A Great Day, Flip
Thanks Much

Flip - KE4OBT
     The Blind Ham
Helping other blind hams
get on the air!

um, uh, well,
HEE-HEE-HEE

KadirX

Great mod, but woulda been better to add a non-refreshing page countdown with javascript ;)

Advertisement: