News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

An SMF CMS?

Started by Jeff Lewis, February 18, 2005, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theantidote

how about a template system that shares with the SMF templates. So it just uses the same title bars and colors and such.

supreme-Web

yes that is a verry good idea. we need the same as phpnuke has with phpbb. as that is too difficult too make can we also make new tmaplates with the same style for smf and the cms

Peter Duggan

Quote from: RyanB on February 23, 2005, 11:21:47 AM
aside from that i couldn't help unless you would have a diffrent doc writer for the CMS and SMF.

Been wondering what that meant since you posted it, so perhaps you'd like to explain?

supreme-Web

i think he sayd that he can't help but as they need help he can be doc writer

ryanbsoftware

yeah i like to help but don't know php well enoguh to be a developer, i suck at graphics, about all i could do is write documentaton for it, lol, and/or beta test it.  :-\

btw i vote for SMP after all we are going for three letter abrivation right, like SMF?

supreme-Web

yeah smp is the best name Simple Machines Portal it sounds great

[Unknown]

Personally I wouldn't cry if it didn't have a name starting with "SM"...

-[Unknown]

Grudge

What about if it starts with vB, IPB or phpBB :P
I'm only a half geek really...

alienine

How about alienineCMS? I know I lack modesty, but I think it is a good idea.

supreme-Web

wtf does alienineCMS mean  ::) and i don't think i can say that lol alienineCMS that is a way too difficult name

alienine

Quote from: supreme-Web on February 26, 2005, 07:35:34 AM
wtf does alienineCMS mean ::) and i don't think i can say that lol alienineCMS that is a way too difficult name

It means, elegance, quality, and a hint of supernova-like glory, those who cannot speak it aren't worthy of its spoils.

supreme-Web

sorry i was in a verry bad mood when i sayd that  :-[ :-[ :-[ now i see it but still i like SMP  more

alienine

No problem. I was of course only joking :)

RickW

Instead of building your own CMS, why not create interfaces for all of the other existing CMS's out there?  Your forum software would become more popular than you could ever imagine.

[Unknown]

Quote from: RickW on February 26, 2005, 10:34:45 PM
Instead of building your own CMS, why not create interfaces for all of the other existing CMS's out there?  Your forum software would become more popular than you could ever imagine.

There are already some bridges, but generally these are an uphill battle, and make for difficulty in support...

Anyway, there are people on the team who are very interested in working on a CMS.... not on bridging with one.

-[Unknown]

supreme-Web

like me i am verry intrested and i really wnat to help wit it. i think we shoulf make something like phpnuke not like mambo.

Trekkie101

I liked the look of Jerrys little portal/type thing, it looked nice and simple. Didnt o0ver crownd you with junk, from what I understand it worked with themes and well although it was done with SSI maybe a admin panel and a bit more bulk to it, it would be rather nice.

Midgard

Jerry's portal very professional. I like it...

And a suggestion for name: MidPortal :P

zhoushi

Some of you guys might be.

As a forum, is SMF good enough?

I don't think it is. So, another question is, could I believe the same team create a excellent CMS?

I couldn't.

Generally I agree with Jeff Lewis and RickW!

1. When thinking of CMS, please think Mambo, phpNuke, postNuke... in advance.
2. Instead of building your own CMS, why not make it together with some of the most popular CMS's out there?  Your forum software would become more popular than you could ever imagine.

Here is an example:
AS a forum, SimpleBoard is indeed very very simple and in my opinion, actually, it is TRASH. But now in the Mambo world, it is popular!

I bridged SMF with Mambo, and made my website the most popular Mambo site in China. But then I found it's not a good way to get them together....just because it's just bridged. (BTW, I know nothing about php and mysql)

Chinese people like the speed and multilingual fuction of SMF. But before they decide to use is, I think SMF should be better. Cause vbb and phpbb are powerful and popluar.

On a first-come, first-served basis, there is still a long way for SMF...

Visit my website if you can read Chinese (it's a utf-8 website): www.mambo.cn [nofollow]

bloc

uh..so whats the point of saying SMF is not good enough in thread about a new product...?

You are all wrong in assuming SMF is worse than the big guys. Just because they cost money does not mean they are better, nor the fact that they are popular. If they go better with Mambo - so what? Its supposed to be a stand-alone forum, not a plugin in another software.

Sorry if this sounded harsh - I am just so tired of everyone complaining about SMF being the wrong and all the CMS's out there being "right".

Advertisement: