Fresh Install of 2.0 Beta 4 on existing forum?

Started by clindner, January 01, 2009, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clindner

I have a forum I have upgraded through several beta releases, and also installed some mods.  I have probably screwed something up along the way, because now I have problems with Zero Sized Replies (code crashes?) when a user posts too large a quoted reply or something.  Also, the MOD I had installed to embed flash video started crashing as well.

So, is it possible to set up a fresh set of Beta 4 files and use the existing database?  I am afraid the install process would just blow away my database files.

Could I upload into a new directory, and just copy the Settings.php file over, changing the path to the new directory and also fixing the paths in the templates?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

sherpa サイバー侍

well easy way is just made a fresh install (FORUM B) with new database without copying settings.php.
uninstall all mod from your upruning forum (FORUM A) and export database to your computer
Drop all table of your FORUM B and inport the database base that you just had exported from FORUM A
Look and play around. If it is fine the rename the FORUM B to FORUM A
download repair_settings.php and run it

clindner

OK, that helped a lot, thanks!

I actually ended up just using phpMyAdmin to copy the database after dropping the newly created one, and that was really smooth!

clindner

I am seeing one problem in that users are not able to see many other users Avatars.  Admins can see everyone avatar.

Any reasons for that?   If a user tries to access the avatar link directly, they get a 404 error....  But they are there, as I can see them?

clindner

OK, I think I have it figured out.

In addition to the steps listed by sherpa, one must also copy over their added smilies and all the graphics in the attachments directory.

I wonder if there are any others like this?

sherpa サイバー侍

you dont have to copy the added smilies if dont wish to use it any more but note your previous posts where those smilies was used will show up x (image not found)

Advertisement: