Moving Existing SMF Forum To New Installation

Started by shanksta13, January 13, 2009, 08:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanksta13

Is it possible to move an existing SMF forum to a new installation of SMF?  I've upgraded my forums through several different SMF versions and put all kinds of mods, etc. on it.  Is there anyway I can take the framework (i.e. posts, members, polls, etc.) without the mods and move to a new installation of SMF?

Gary

Just edit Settings.php to use the old Database information...
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

shanksta13

Quote from: Gazmanafc on January 14, 2009, 04:36:01 AM
Just edit Settings.php to use the old Database information...

Ehh, that's not exactly what I'm looking for.  I guess my question is more of a MySQL question.  Is there any way to copy the original tables, rows and columns from the old database to the new database?

By original, I mean the tables, columns and rows that can be found on a clean install of SMF.  In other words, can I copy the essential tables from the old database that includes the posts, boards, categories, members, etc. WITHOUT copying all of the database tables that have been created by mods installed on the old database?

Basically, what I'm attempting to do is copy only the boards, posts, polls, members, etc. onto a clean install of SMF and then rebuild my forum with only the necessary mods for my site.

It seems that every time I try to copy particular rows or columns from the old database, it wants to copy the entire table.

shanksta13

I guess to shorten my question - does anyone know if you can copy data on a row or column level in MySQL without doing it by hand?

greyknight17

If you compare the tables you have to a default install, you will see what are extras that may be from mod installs. You can use phpMyAdmin to select the tables you want and then export those only.

In terms of the columns inside the tables, you will need to find that out yourself as it's just too many to go through. I would suggest just leaving it alone. They don't usually take up much room and won't cause problems.

shanksta13

Quote from: greyknight17 on January 24, 2009, 12:09:42 AM
If you compare the tables you have to a default install, you will see what are extras that may be from mod installs. You can use phpMyAdmin to select the tables you want and then export those only.

In terms of the columns inside the tables, you will need to find that out yourself as it's just too many to go through. I would suggest just leaving it alone. They don't usually take up much room and won't cause problems.

Thanks, I actually did that already.  I should have marked the topic as solved, my bad.

Advertisement: