News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Welcome, Guest being indexed too many times by google

Started by ~kev~, January 20, 2009, 10:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~kev~

Forum Version: 2.0 Beta 4

While looking through the pages of my site that google has indexed, I am seeing this over and over.

QuoteWelcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Google is not seeing the actual thread content.  If you want to take a look for yourself, here is the command to enter into google. site:www.fortresstraining.com/forum/

Its page after page of
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email? 1 Hour, 1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month, Forever. Login with username, password and ...

I need google to see the content of the thread, not the welcome guest msg.  How do I fix this problem??  I am never going to rank well in search engines with google seeing "welcome guest" over and over again.

Jade Elizabeth

You have to let guests see what you want google to see. It's against Google TOS or something to let bots see what guests cannot.

In 2.0 there is a setting to give Search Engines their own membergroup though:
Admin > Search Engines > Settings
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

~kev~

Quote from: Jade on January 20, 2009, 12:29:06 PM
You have to let guests see what you want google to see. It's against Google TOS or something to let bots see what guests cannot.

In 2.0 there is a setting to give Search Engines their own membergroup though:
Admin > Search Engines > Settings

Thank you, but that is not quit what I was looking for.

Website owners can stop google from indexing certain things on our site by using the nofollow tag.  Surely its not against googles TOS to use the nofollow tag on an image?  If there is way to stop google from indexing images, surely there is a way to stop google from indexing the same sentence over and over. 

I get the feeling that google is seeing part of the site as duplicate content.  Indexing "Welcome, Guest." over 1,000 times is surely to throw up a red flag.

All I want to do is stop google from indexing a certain part of my page.  And that is the "Welcome Guest" message.  How can I do this?

Jade Elizabeth

I've heard of this code that's supposed to be workable in the future, that lets you select what bots can crawl... I don't know if Google uses it.

If you can find me code, I can help you insert it, otherwise, maybe contact google?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: